ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 149
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2020 Royals Official Offseason/Season Repository
Al Bundy 09:13 AM 01-04-2020
Players start reporting Feb 12th.
New Ownership.
Spring training games begin Feb 20th against the Rangers.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:27 AM 05-29-2020
I'm gonna sound like a dick but if I'm Mike Trout and you want me to take 7 mill instead of my 36 to put myself at risk when my wifes pregnant I'm staying home.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:33 AM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I'm gonna sound like a dick but if I'm Mike Trout and you want me to take 7 mill instead of my 36 to put myself at risk when my wifes pregnant I'm staying home.
Especially since the hold-up is largely because the Players Union is asking owners to open up their books to make sure the pro-rated salaries are being given in good faith. The owners don't want to do that for some reason (shocked pikachu face).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:15 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I'm hopeful that the public becomes aware of just what kind of fuckery ownership is up to this time.

This was an OBVIOUS attempt to create the sort of class-warfare populism that the NFL used against the NFLPA to get a deal done. They threw all their efforts at assuaging concerns of lower paid guys so they could get the majority on their side. And it worked.

The MLB owners, OTOH, overplayed their hands so incredibly badly that all they managed to do was piss the rank and file players off. ESPECIALLY when the narrative they've sold year after year to keep initial salaries down was "when its your turn, you'll get yours..."

Well they did such a good job selling it that the less costly players said "okay, when it's our turn we'll get ours....but you're pretty clearly establishing that you're willing to fuck us over when that time comes because if you'll do it to Mike Trout, you'll absolutely do it to us.

Ultimately when the details of that thing started to leak out, I became about 80% convinced that the owners would rather not have a season than suffer a seasons worth of losses.

And for a bunch of guys that are supposed to be smart businessmen, that's just shockingly stupid.

They had to believe the class-warfare play would work because if not, they're just far dumber than I could've ever imagined.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:31 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

And for a bunch of guys that are supposed to be smart businessmen, that's just shockingly stupid.
I think we're starting to see what happens when ownership is being filled by scions, trust fund heir apparents, and folks born on 3rd base rather than the original business savants who owned these franchises and were passionate about the game. On that note, David Glass did the Royals a major solid by selling to a local KC ownership group rather than allowing his son to take over.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:38 PM 05-29-2020
I'm hopeful that the public becomes aware of just what kind of fuckery ownership is up to this time.

This was an OBVIOUS attempt to create the sort of class-warfare populism that the NFL used against the NFLPA to get a deal done. They threw all their efforts at assuaging concerns of lower paid guys so they could get the majority on their side. And it worked.

The MLB owners, OTOH, overplayed their hands so incredibly badly that all they managed to do was piss the rank and file players off. ESPECIALLY when the narrative they've sold year after year to keep initial salaries down was "when its your turn, you'll get yours..."

Well they did such a good job selling it that the less costly players said "okay, when it's our turn we'll get ours....but you're pretty clearly establishing that you're willing to fuck us over when that time comes because if you'll do it to Mike Trout, you'll absolutely do it to us.

Ultimately when the details of that thing started to leak out, I became about 80% convinced that the owners would rather not have a season than suffer a seasons worth of losses.

They had to believe the class-warfare play would work because if not, they're just far dumber than I could've ever imagined.
There are still a ton of fans who'll get pissed, we all know this, people are already selling this that if the players refuse to play they'll kill baseball.
[Reply]
tk13 01:04 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So one of the things the MLBPA wants is daily testing and this leads me to believe that they don't know what the testing consists of. After the first week of getting a swab to the brain I think they will change their minds. Hell you'd think that constantly having that little cotton swab up the nose cant be good for you.
If you're going to have sports, the players are going to have to be tested pretty much every game day. There's not much of a way around that.

Otherwise, a player gets it and spreads around, the whole thing will be shut down again. Or you'd just have to play for two weeks without certain teams, which doesn't seem like it would work. Same is true for football. You'd have teams that play 16 games and teams that play 13 or 14. Or 10 if they get a couple rounds of it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:13 PM 05-29-2020
Welp, no baseball this year.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:16 PM 05-29-2020
It's going to be a damn shame if baseball loses its best chance in decades to get some of the best ratings it's had in recent memory.

If that happens, I blame the owners.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:20 PM 05-29-2020
All the minor league cuts today as well.
[Reply]
tk13 01:25 PM 05-29-2020

Can confirm @JonHeyman's report: The Royals have committed to paying minor leaguers through August. Received this from a player: "They're the real deal when it comes to care for their guys."

— Alec Lewis (@alec_lewis) May 29, 2020

[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:35 PM 05-29-2020
The Royals are slaying it right now. You know other owners of big markets can't be happy with Sherman right now - especially with him coming in as a new owner.

Additionally, the Royals will not have any layoffs or furloughs. Nearly 150 employees will not take pay cuts. Higher-level employees will take tiered cuts, but the organization plans to make them whole when greater revenues start coming in next year. https://t.co/yZCcMT6ecr

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) May 29, 2020

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:40 PM 05-29-2020

I hope most fans are smart enough to see this. I fear they won’t be.

The owners have privatized the profits from MLB. Now they’re asking their employees to socialize the risk.

Sorry. Being an MLB owner isn’t a guaranteed ticket to earn a profit every year or earn XYZ profit every year.

I haven’t seen any owners offering bonuses to players when profits exceed normal. But they’re quick to say “help is bear the costs” when things go bad (for one year).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:00 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I hope most fans are smart enough to see this. I fear they won’t be.

The owners have privatized the profits from MLB. Now they’re asking their employees to socialize the risk.

Sorry. Being an MLB owner isn’t a guaranteed ticket to earn a profit every year or earn XYZ profit every year.

I haven’t seen any owners offering bonuses to players when profits exceed normal. But they’re quick to say “help is bear the costs” when things go bad (for one year).
I'm not sure it would've stood out to me as much had I not just seen the NFL Owners do it.

The venn diagram for fans that would follow the NFL Labor strife AND the MLB labor strife probably doesn't have that large an overlap. And without paying pretty close attention to both, I could see how people would miss it.

But yeah, I just do not understand why the owners think they're entitled to print money. It really is shady - either you socialize the profits or you don't socialize the losses. Well they clearly aren't inclined to socialize the profits. And I don't blame them - the exact reason I don't is BECAUSE they're the guys who take the financial risk if things go ass-backwards.

But shit, if they believe they're above having to take risk in this thing, then I don't see how they can claim to be entitled to 100% profit stake. Man, it just doesn't work that way, especially when you're in a skilled industry and dealing with the best .01% of people that attempted to do this job at a high level.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:24 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by :
And here's what Dayton said about John Sherman paying Minor Leaguers: "The Minor League players, the players you never know about, the players that never get out of rookie ball, those players have as much to do about the growth of the game than as any 10-year or 15-year veteran."
Woah now, Dayton - lets slow down a tick.

The "guys that never make it out of rookie ball" are fungible as hell. They exist as bit players in someone else's story and if you lose them, you'll have a loooooong line of UDFA's that will gladly step in for another season or two in the sun instead of getting a real job.

I understand benevolence but lets not be hagiographers for the Tyler Carvalho's of the world. Ashe Russell has as much to do with the growth of baseball as Mike Trout? Uh...no. No he does not.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:30 PM 05-29-2020
Royals kissing ass on minor leagues with a 5 round draft they want to be a major contender with the undrafted free agents that follow.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 149
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Up