« First < 55595101102103104105 106107108109115155205605 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:42 PM 12-26-2017
Yup. I’ve got 3 that I’m keeping my eye on:

Bank of America
Nvidia-owns the GPU business and has dominated sales. Grew 30% last year and will continue to rise.
AppFolio-zero debt in this company. Expanding customer base that keeps growing. Already won some awards..and their CEO got 100% rating on Glassdoor. Seems to really be going in the right direction.

Can’t decide which one to choose
[Reply]
Nightfyre 02:34 AM 12-27-2017
I can't bring myself to invest in BAC. that company is ethically bankrupt, and it routinely has law suits crop up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:36 AM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I can't bring myself to invest in BAC. that company is ethically bankrupt, and it routinely has law suits crop up.
Yeah. I’d need to see a regulatory review of them before I bought anything. You’d think with interest rates starting to creep up bank profitability would look favorable. There might be a reason their stock is down.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:24 PM 12-27-2017
Energous, Ticker symbol (WATT) just announced they developed a wireless charger for phones. Stock is up 98% right now. Might pull back before the close as investors may short but it may have some legs for longer term.

Edit: up 120% now

Got in at 17.21 Now at 19.43 put in a stop loss at 18.50.

I've moved the stop loss up 3 times. LOL
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:50 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
If ethics is your prerequisite for investment, I'm not sure you can buy any publicly traded stock.

I keep waiting for the day that my wife looks at my stock portfolio and says, "You have stock in WHAT?" I've got stock in companies that make bombers, sugary drinks, guns, mines in virgin forests, gender-offensive advertisements, fake credit accounts in senior citizens' names, Alaskan oil wells, private prisons, and pretty much anything else you can think of. If it's a bad behavior, I assume it's a growth opportunity.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:00 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Lew, what do you think about buying Bank Of America? It’s a dividend and it’s under $30
By all means, just raise a general question to this thread as there are numerous posters here with better insight and understanding on stocks than me. I am flattered though.

A lot of people like it is a stock. It does seem undervalued in the current climate of stocks (and the dividend is nice) but banks can be risky. I personally get enough exposure to banks in a mutual fund in my Roth IRA, so I have little want to place addition money in that sector.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:14 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Energous, Ticker symbol (WATT) just announced they developed a wireless charger for phones. Stock is up 98% right now. Might pull back before the close as investors may short but it may have some legs for longer term.

Edit: up 120% now

Got in at 17.21 Now at 19.43 put in a stop loss at 18.50.

I've moved the stop loss up 3 times. LOL
Ended up 168% , Got in late and claimed 38% It didn't pull back at close so could possibly make another bull run tomorrow.

Or it could Tank.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:38 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Ended up 168% , Got in late and claimed 38% It didn't pull back at close so could possibly make another bull run tomorrow.

Or it could Tank.
Day trading in retirement?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:30 PM 12-27-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Day trading in retirement?
Yep, too cold to go fishin right now.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:37 PM 12-27-2017
What are your guys recommendations for placing Stop loss orders on securities where you've made a decent profit from you initial investment.

I bought into Canopy Growth at $8. It's currently trading around $21. Where would you place a Stop Loss order to lock in profits? It's a volatile stock that I could see having large swings based on more/less regulations. Should I consider a Stop loss around $16 where I could sell my shares for a double profit if it dropped. I could then consider buying back in at a point lower than this if it kept declining for a while?

What are your strategies for locking in gains using Stop Loss orders?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:55 PM 12-27-2017
What are your guys recommendations for placing Stop loss orders on securities where you've made a decent profit from you initial investment.

I bought into Canopy Growth at $8. It's currently trading around $21. Where would you place a Stop Loss order to lock in profits? It's a volatile stock that I could see having large swings based on more/less regulations. Should I consider a Stop loss around $16 where I could sell my shares for a double profit if it dropped. I could then consider buying back in at a point lower than this if it kept declining for a while?

All I can tell you is what I've been doing because I'm no pro. These stocks that make huge runs in a day to three days I just follow them with a stop loss. I just use my gut feeling as to what price would it have to drop to that would make me think its going to just run down.

The one I bought today at 17.21 I immediately put a stop loss on it at 15. It moved to 19 so I moved my stop loss to 17. It moved to 21 so I moved my sl to 19. It ended at 23.70 and I had a SL at 20 at the end of the day.

A stock like X we know is pretty stable so I don't mess with a SL on it unless I were to see it start falling for a couple days and get worried.

stop loss is only good for the day but costs nothing if it doesn't fill.

I'm still learning.

A good site to follow is www.stocktwits.com get on there and plug in a ticker symbol for the stock you are following and there will be conversation regarding that stock. And those people on there range from professional traders to regular stock owners but it's like CP for stocks because somebody on there will bring you breaking news that will make you money or at least keep you from losing it.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:01 PM 12-27-2017

Also I think what you can do , if your worried about going to work and not being able to keep an eye on it just put your stop loss in that morning before you leave. Some stocks like you say will fluctuate within a day so you don't want it to drop from 21 to 19 and trigger a sale and then run back up to 22. So you need to keep your stop loss out of the range of fluctuation.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 12:05 AM 12-28-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yup. I’ve got 3 that I’m keeping my eye on:

Bank of America
Nvidia-owns the GPU business and has dominated sales. Grew 30% last year and will continue to rise.
AppFolio-zero debt in this company. Expanding customer base that keeps growing. Already won some awards..and their CEO got 100% rating on Glassdoor. Seems to really be going in the right direction.

Can’t decide which one to choose
NVDA is great stuff. I bought in this past May at $104 and I've basically doubled my money. I plan on holding it for a long time.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:56 AM 12-28-2017

In commodities there are support and resistance that works, but you have to put it past the support or resistance because a lot of stops get run.

I've never done it on stocks, but if it were me, I'd put the stop outside the biggest daily move over the last year.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:03 AM 12-28-2017

Looking at the chart, $16ish is not a bad area
[Reply]
Page 105 of 929
« First < 55595101102103104105 106107108109115155205605 > Last »
Up