ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 33
« First < 202627282930 313233 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official AAF Discussion Thread***
11Chiefs 09:40 AM 02-07-2019
The first games of the Alliance of American Football (AAF) are this weekend. I haven't followed it and at this point I'm not that interested. However, a friend called me all excited. He said CBS will be carrying all the games... that seems interesting. I seen an NFL Network logo on the AAF website... that seems interesting.

What's your take? Is your DVR set? Why should I care?

https://aaf.com/schedule
[Reply]
crispystl 07:14 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Lol, the AAF In 2019 isn’t the AFL in 1960.
I'm sure there was still significant overhead even in 1960.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:45 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by crispystl420:
I'm sure there was still significant overhead even in 1960.
Well, sure.

But the market is completely different. There’s more pro NFL teams. College football is ubiquitous. And sports fans have the NBA, NHL, and MLB to watch instead of spring minor league football.
[Reply]
crispystl 07:57 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Well, sure.

But the market is completely different. There’s more pro NFL teams. College football is ubiquitous. And sports fans have the NBA, NFL, and MLB to watch instead of spring minor league football.
Oh I see what you're saying now. I missed your point.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:57 AM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
I just don't understand why the NFL won't make (or in this case support) a "feeder league" that plays in the spring. I mean, did the get so burned by NFL Europe that they can't see that Spring ball played in the US and supported by the NFL would be a total success? Back when the UFL (5 teams, 3 seasons, only on complete season) realized that they cannot fight the NFL juggernaut, one of their owners suggested a partnership with the NFL. It makes total sense, it gives more players a chance to compete and it doesn't get in the way of the NFL season...

...I seriously don't understand. With all the NFL bullshit we are forced to endure (games in London, Mexico City...Thursday night football) why wouldn't they do this??
Yep. But I guess they figure college does that for them.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:36 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
AAF about to be out of business after this weekend possibly

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-this-weekend/

It’s true that the Alliance of American Football may not make it to Year 2. It’s also true that the AAF may not make it to Final Four weekend.

Per a source with knowledge of the league’s plans, games will be played this weekend, Week Eight of the inaugural season. Beyond this weekend, however, it’s entirely possible that the plug will be pulled.

The problem arises from the upstart league’s inability to come to an agreement that would result in certain NFL players being available to the AAF. The NFL is willing to allow players who sign “futures” contracts after the conclusion of a given season to play in the AAF. The NFL Players Association has not yet agreed to the terms of what would amount to a modification of the labor deal between the NFL and the players’ union.

Modification of the labor deal is needed in large part because players who are loaned by NFL teams to the AAF would need protection against serious injury suffered while playing in the developmental league. As the source explained it, those players would receive the same payment that a practice squad player receives if he suffers a season-ending injury. Players also would receive extra compensation from the AAF for games played there, but not necessarily the full salary that gets paid to AAF players with no NFL connection.

An agreement, if one were to be reached, also would allow players under “futures” contracts to play in the XFL, given the obvious antitrust ramifications that flow from allowing NFL players to play only in the AAF and not in what will be its top competitor.

Absent a deal between the NFL and the NFLPA, AAF majority owner Tom Dundon quite possibly will choose to stop funding the league. This would force the league either to find another investor who would keep it afloat (like the league did when it tracked down Dundon) or go out of business.

It’s not the first existential threat the AAF has faced this season. As a different source with knowledge of the courtship of Dundon to buy controlling interest in the league has told PFT, the AAF was “done” before Dundon signed on. If he now signs off, the AAF may indeed be out of business.

And that would truly be a shame. Beyond providing game reps for would-be NFL players who otherwise get none, the AAF gives opportunities to coaches, coordinators, executives, officials, and more. There’s currently talk of ensuring that even more former NFL players would get more of the AAF assistant coaching positions, if the league survives.

For now, underscore the word “if.” Dundon’s comments to USA Today were not posturing or grandstanding. Without a mechanism for using NFL players in its 2020 season, the AAF may not make it to the end of its 2019 season.
I love football and I’ve not watched a minute of the league. It really doesn’t interest me on any level.
[Reply]
TribalElder 12:55 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I love football and I’ve not watched a minute of the league. It really doesn’t interest me on any level.
I watched part of a couple games but I'm in the same boat, don't give a fuck about it
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:07 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Same. I’m convinced the only way you could make a spring league work is if the NFL is behind it and every pro team has their own minor league team as a developmental outlet. I would watch a Chiefs team in a developmental league even if they sucked. AAF and XFL? Meh.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:57 PM 03-28-2019
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Same. I’m convinced the only way you could make a spring league work is if the NFL is behind it and every pro team has their own minor league team as a developmental outlet. I would watch a Chiefs team in a developmental league even if they sucked. AAF and XFL? Meh.
I love the NBA but won't watch the G League either. End of bench guys aren't typically that interesting.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:54 PM 03-28-2019
It was pretty solid football. They need the NFL developmental guys though. Enough NFL fans would tune in then. Face enough people on here would jack off to one of the Chiefs scrubs that did good in that league.
[Reply]
Danguardace 06:34 AM 03-29-2019
I think this is a poor article, which has taken a throw away line putting 2+2 and making 7.

Why would they need NFL players? There are hundred of athletes every year without jobs. Why do they need the Detroit Lions third string QB? Is that going to be any better than what they have now.

You are not going to get more interest by having NFL practice squad players, you've got former first round talent playing in the league.
[Reply]
Mecca 06:40 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
I think this is a poor article, which has taken a throw away line putting 2+2 and making 7.

Why would they need NFL players? There are hundred of athletes every year without jobs. Why do they need the Detroit Lions third string QB? Is that going to be any better than what they have now.

You are not going to get more interest by having NFL practice squad players, you've got former first round talent playing in the league.
Because the illusion that it is attached to the NFL will make hardcores watch. Right now it's independent ball that most fans see as minor league shit they have no interest in.
[Reply]
Why Not? 07:48 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Because the illusion that it is attached to the NFL will make hardcores watch. Right now it's independent ball that most fans see as minor league shit they have no interest in.
Even then, I don’t think it would have staying power. It’s just not great football. Any NFL team would smoke the best AAF team by 4 TD on a bad day(everybody here knows this, I’m making a greater point). You could say the same thing about any NCAA team, but expectations and experience change while investing time to watch professional sports, which by definition is supposed to be sports at its highest level. The only way I think something like this works is if you do it like minor league baseball and attach a develpomental team to it’s parent NFL squad.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:06 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Danguardace:

You would have more interest though and if the NFL lets the players play in the league then the league will get NFL money. It's a business and they know that if they try to compete with the NFL, then they will go out of business (like what is happening now). They dont want to even try to compete with the NFL.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:44 AM 03-29-2019
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Even then, I don’t think it would have staying power. It’s just not great football. Any NFL team would smoke the best AAF team by 4 TD on a bad day(everybody here knows this, I’m making a greater point). You could say the same thing about any NCAA team, but expectations and experience change while investing time to watch professional sports, which by definition is supposed to be sports at its highest level. The only way I think something like this works is if you do it like minor league baseball and attach a develpomental team to it’s parent NFL squad.
Alabama or Clemson would not smoke any of the AAF teams.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:48 AM 03-29-2019
At least for football it appears as though the NCAA will remain the NFL's AAA league.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 33
« First < 202627282930 313233 >
Up