ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Transitioning to a DEFENSIVE team..how would you do it?
UChieffyBugger 05:34 PM 10-14-2019
How would yall approach this? Because yesterday was the last straw for me...imo we're NOT winning the championship this year and we're NOT winning one until we have a competent defense. So if you were Clark how would you approach this? Is it just a matter of replacing Andy with a defensive minded coach? Is it about keeping Andy but getting rid of Veach and finding a GM who has a history of being in a defensive culture who can transform this roster? is it a matter of getting rid of Spaggs? Because the bottom line is Spaggs has a history of having bad defenses despite the odd occasion of success.

I think it's a mixture of everything tbh. Andy is stuck in his ways and I'm not sure he could handle transitioning into a defensive team. Veach is a young pup that has made so many mistakes from Ragland, to Hitchens, to Clark etc and his efforts to improve the CB position has been pathetic.

I'm merely thinking long term here...Pat has NEVER had a good defense in his entire college and pro career!!...enough is enough now, time to start the process as soon as this season ends and we as fans need to make sure the club knows that we want this to happen. Our time of possession yesterday was the LOWEST in Chiefs franchise history...let's learn from what happened with Rodgers in Green Bay and act NOW.
[Reply]
JakeF 06:55 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
For starters, I would've never and would never give a HC so much power esp. when it comes to personnel. If they're slanted towards one side of the ball or the other, you get what we're seeing now.

The GM and Head Coach should always work hand in hand yes but have separate duties and the GM's job should be to build a balanced team...take that how you will...
Clark tried to do that.

Andy got pissed about Dorsey cutting Maclin and Charles. He refused to sign an extension unless Clark fired Dorsey immediately and gave the job to his buddy Veach.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:58 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
No-one is saying we should totally abandon offense. I'm saying we should be MORE FOCUSED on creating a good defense from now on and committing most of the resources in that direction. If we manage to create a good defense our odds of winning a championship are dramatically increased than they are today.
Okay. I'd be on board with that. Of course, that's what we're trying to do this year. Should we abandon the 4-3, Spags, etc. after just 6 games? Because that's the kind of Jets-think I don't want any part of, thanks but no thanks.

IMHO, we need a defense that ranks somewhere between 11th and 15th overall/scoring. Do that, and with Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, and a top-15 3-down RB, and the Chiefs will win SBs in multiples.

Tearing down the team to the ground and starting over to try and recreate the '85 Bears is ludicrous. But if that's not what you were saying, then my bad.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:08 PM 10-14-2019
The very first objective of building a defense is acquiring a RDE/ROLB that can get to the QB consistently and also not be weak against the run. We put all our eggs in the Frank Clark basket this year, and thus far, has not worked out.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:29 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Nah, they just have some scrub named Brees....
Actually, Brees is hurt - they've been winning with a JAG named Bridgewater...
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:13 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by wazu:
Just think of all the defensive talent we could draft with the picks acquired in a Mahomes trade! We'd be unstoppable!
Not if Veach is drafting
[Reply]
scho63 03:19 AM 10-15-2019
Not going to happen with Mahomes as QB.
[Reply]
Rasputin 03:30 AM 10-15-2019
Why can't we have balance? Why can't we be a well balanced team with good defense and good offense and special teams do special things?

We need studs on both sides of the ball obviously but at least be good on both sides of the ball not lopsided like we go in cycle doing each decade.

It really wasn't that long ago we had a very ball hawking defense but our offense never did anything with the ball like the 6 turnover game against the Jets our defense and special teams outscored our offense. Imagine what we could do with 6 turnovers and Patrick at helm to throw 6 touchdowns and another couple for opening drive and fielded punt.

I don't see how our defense quit being so aggressive in takeaways but we need get back to ball hawking and give Patrick extra drives that's how we can win the big games.

Our defense doesn't have to stop every drive but getting turnovers will give us extra scoring opportunities for Mahomes to put teams away.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:59 AM 10-15-2019
Texans put up 53 the week before. We held Watson to 1 TD and 2 ints and 31 points and gave them the ball on the 3 yard line with a fumble. We also forced them to keep the ball 40 minutes.

I just don't see the end of the world like every one else.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:24 AM 10-15-2019
To hell with ball control. Last year it pissed me off how many times we took the pedal off the medal when we had a big lead. We need to treat every possession as if we need to score at all costs. The only reason we need ball control is because we need a more balanced gameplan to set up the pass. It shouldn't be to set up our defense.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:27 AM 10-15-2019
I brought this point up before in the offseason. I don't necessarily agree with us stocking up on offense if we're not confident in our defense. We should be using our cap to build an offense powerhouse. Use our draft picks to build a defense. And we need a DC who can turn a scrappy bunch into a top 20 defense. Oh wait... We can't draft and we trade all our picks away. In that case, who the fuck knows....
[Reply]
DTVietnam 05:43 AM 10-15-2019
id over-pay an overhyped aging safety

Next throw 100mill at a sub par DE . .

then i would pick up a CB on a 4 game suspension. .

I would release or trade my 2 top defensive playmakers

and id prob throw a few million dollars on an aging RB because of nostalgia

sounds like an air tight plan..what could go wrong?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:54 AM 10-15-2019
The Chiefs don't need to be a "defensive team" as long as Mahomes stays healthy and the Chiefs maintain talent around him on offense.

They need an aggressive defense that forces negative plays/turnovers and gets opposing teams off the field.
[Reply]
bobbything 06:12 AM 10-15-2019
I wouldn’t want to transition to merely a “defensive team.” But, if I were to answer, “How do you make this defense better?” I first wouldn’t have gotten rid of Houston and Ford. I was just as pissed as everyone when Ford, in one stupid play, kept us out of the SB, and Houston was injury prone, but at the very least we managed to create pressure. Our current secondary isn’t a complete grease fire this year so a significantly better line would be huge right now.

Frank Clark has been, thus far, a complete and epic bust. Just like most of the high dollar defensive players we have picked up over the years. Chris Jones being out hurts too.

Moving forward I don’t know what the answer is but it’s a lot easier for me to piss and moan about our mistakes.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:19 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by bobbything:
I wouldn’t want to transition to merely a “defensive team.” But, if I were to answer, “How do you make this defense better?” I first wouldn’t have gotten rid of Houston and Ford. I was just as pissed as everyone when Ford, in one stupid play, kept us out of the SB, and Houston was injury prone, but at the very least we managed to create pressure. Our current secondary isn’t a complete grease fire this year so a significantly better line would be huge right now.

Frank Clark has been, thus far, a complete and epic bust. Just like most of the high dollar defensive players we have picked up over the years. Chris Jones being out hurts too.

Moving forward I don’t know what the answer is but it’s a lot easier for me to piss and moan about our mistakes.
we were sold having multiple DEs who weren't a liability in run D. I'm not surprised we can't get qb pressure. The complete inability to stop the run is mind blowing.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:32 AM 10-15-2019
If our defense could just get off the field as fast as our offense we'd win every game 55-3
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up