ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Transitioning to a DEFENSIVE team..how would you do it?
UChieffyBugger 05:34 PM 10-14-2019
How would yall approach this? Because yesterday was the last straw for me...imo we're NOT winning the championship this year and we're NOT winning one until we have a competent defense. So if you were Clark how would you approach this? Is it just a matter of replacing Andy with a defensive minded coach? Is it about keeping Andy but getting rid of Veach and finding a GM who has a history of being in a defensive culture who can transform this roster? is it a matter of getting rid of Spaggs? Because the bottom line is Spaggs has a history of having bad defenses despite the odd occasion of success.

I think it's a mixture of everything tbh. Andy is stuck in his ways and I'm not sure he could handle transitioning into a defensive team. Veach is a young pup that has made so many mistakes from Ragland, to Hitchens, to Clark etc and his efforts to improve the CB position has been pathetic.

I'm merely thinking long term here...Pat has NEVER had a good defense in his entire college and pro career!!...enough is enough now, time to start the process as soon as this season ends and we as fans need to make sure the club knows that we want this to happen. Our time of possession yesterday was the LOWEST in Chiefs franchise history...let's learn from what happened with Rodgers in Green Bay and act NOW.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:08 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Screw it. Is Mark Sanchez still available? We could go full Jets stupid, see how that works out.
Yeah, the Deadskins cut him in favor of Case Keenum.

Let's do it.

Cam Erving at tackle, Sanchez at QB...

The UCheiffy's!!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:10 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by kcclone:
Somehow the Saints have figured out a way to build a team capable of winning even with their backup QB.
1. They fired Steve Spagnuolo.

2. Their head coach is capable of calling plays and doesn't shit the bed at the end of the half/game...
[Reply]
crispystl 06:15 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I would have started with at MLB.

We were desperate for help at safety, but it looks like LB was just as bad.

Hindsight is always 20-20 BUT I wonder...

What we would look like if we could've kept Houston and packaged the Dee Ford pick with a 1st or another 2nd and traded for a good MLB. Then we would still have one of the picks we gave up for Clark and a REAL MLB AND equal production from Houston as what we're getting now at DE.
I'm thinking a HELL of a lot better. What about you guys?
[Reply]
notorious 06:18 PM 10-14-2019
Good defense is a mixture of talent and mentality.

All the great defenses have an aggressive attitude, and a head coach that instills toughness across the entire team.

Basically, we can tell you exactly what we are going to do and there isn’t a damn thing you can do to stop it.

Andy’s game is finesse and scheming. Pretty much the exact opposite attitude needed for a tough team.

We’re ****ed boys and girls. 2013-2015 is the last good defense we will see until Andy is gone.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:19 PM 10-14-2019
I wouldn't. I'd pick up a couple solid run-stopping middle LBs right now, and look at finding a couple solid run stoppers at DT and call it good. Trying to re-make the team into a defensive powerhouse is not an option at this point.
It is if you change the culture of this club. Either we want to win a championship, or we're alright being also rans!!..you can't have it both ways.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:22 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
I'd start by revoking UChieffyBurger's thread starting privileges...
"MODS PLEASE DON'T ALLOW BIG BAD CHIEFFY TO MAKE THREADS SO PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY TALK ABOUT THE CHIEFS ISSUES..BWWAAAAAAA"

[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:23 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:

All the great defenses have an aggressive attitude, and a head coach that instills toughness across the entire team.

Basically, we can tell you exactly what we are going to do and there isn’t a damn thing you can do to stop it.

Andy’s game is finesse and scheming. Pretty much the exact opposite attitude needed for a tough team.

We’re ****ed boys and girls. 2013-2015 is the last good defense we will see until Andy is gone.
Great post and sadly you're probably right.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:27 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
It is if you change the culture of this club. Either we want to win a championship, or we're alright being also rans!!..you can't have it both ways.
This is the same kind of mentality that has kept the Jets, Dolphins, Redskins, Bills, etc. in the basement of the league for twenty years now. Every couple years fire the HC, fire the GM, and start over from scratch and try to be the exact opposite of what they were the year before. It's a stupid formula for failure. Winning franchises have at least one thing in common: stability.
[Reply]
notorious 06:31 PM 10-14-2019
Great post and sadly you're probably right.
We’ve brought in guys with talent and they soften. Hell, look at the good players we had when Reid arrived, they softened over time, too.

It’s unfortunate. If Reid is to win a SB, he is going to have to bring in a generational defensive mind that is plum full of nasty.

How many of those guys are there? Not many.

Spags was lucky enough to coach great talent mixed with a head coach that was tough as hell in New York. His scheme worked because Coughlin would put a foot in your ass and that mentality bled throughout the team.

Reid bleeds fryer grease throughout the team. I’ve always believed you can start out tough and let up a little and men will respond. You can’t start out soft and harden up. They won’t take you seriously.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:34 PM 10-14-2019
This is the same kind of mentality that has kept the Jets, Dolphins, Redskins, Bills, etc. in the basement of the league for twenty years now. Every couple years fire the HC, fire the GM, and start over from scratch and try to be the exact opposite of what they were the year before. It's a stupid formula for failure. Winning franchises have at least one thing in common: stability.
SMH this post is so naive it's pathetic!!. Did any of those teams have MAHOMES? Also we have a clear example of what NOT to do with how Green Bay have handled Rodger's career for the last ten years!!..bad defense after bad defense has cost them and it will be the same thing for Mahomes if we don't change the culture now. Andy has been here for several years and the same issue has showed up...enough is enough.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:38 PM 10-14-2019
SMH this post is so naive it's pathetic!!. Did any of those teams have MAHOMES? Also we have a clear example of what NOT to do with how Green Bay have handled Rodger's career for the last ten years!!..bad defense after bad defense has cost them and it will be the same thing for Mahomes if we don't change the culture now. Andy has been here for several years and the same issue has showed up...enough is enough.
Saints seem to be doing just fine without re-making their culture. Found a way to keep the offense and make a defense. Hmmm. And they don't have Mahomes either.

Rams last year had an offense and a defense. Made it how far?
[Reply]
petegz28 06:38 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:

Partially agree. We need a DC and some talent on D to play nasty and aggressive. We don't need to draft skill on the offense now like we did with Smith. Mahomes, Reek and Kelce are how you roll then draft and rotate the rest.

Focus drafts on lines and nasty LB's with some solid secondary players along with a nasty DC.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:39 PM 10-14-2019
Saints seem to be doing just fine without re-making their culture. Found a way to keep the offense and make a defense. Hmmm. And they don't have Mahomes either.

Nah, they just have some scrub named Brees....
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:52 PM 10-14-2019

No-one is saying we should totally abandon offense. I'm saying we should be MORE FOCUSED on creating a good defense from now on and committing most of the resources in that direction. If we manage to create a good defense our odds of winning a championship are dramatically increased than they are today.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 06:52 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Nah, they just have some scrub named Brees....
LOL it's just crazy, isn't it? :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up