ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy on bench with Pat while the D struggles
srvy 04:02 PM 10-14-2019
OK this is my pet peeve since everyone else seems to have something to be PO'ed about. Andy turning his back on the D while the offense is off the field. He goes over to pat sits next to him even once caught shooing Kafka his QB coach away. I have been a little bit put off seeing this many times while our D continues to struggle. It looks like he doesn't give a damn bout that side of the ball not to mention how the defensive players feel about it. You the head coach and responsible for everything going on on the field. Its just like Dick Vermeil was and we fielded defenses that produced a no punt game. I realise that Pat is important along with his development but convey it to the person you hired to be QB coach and keep your ass involved in the whole game.

I tried to start the video of what set me off at 3:10 mark of Andy's after game presser. If it starts at beginning just advance to 3:10 to see what I mean.

[Reply]
JakeF 07:03 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Ok, great. Did the HC go and yell at the defense BEFORE the DC did or after?

I only played for 4 years, but the hierarchy was plain: the DC yelled at the defense. If and only if that didn't have the desired effect would the HC say anything. And usually he had words with the DC, not the players.

I can't remember a single instance of the OC saying anything to the defense during any game. Or vice versa.
The Head Coach yelled at the team as a whole. The coordinators yelled at their side of the ball as a smaller group. Each position coaches yelled at their specific group of players.

It was always tiered levels of yelling, cussing and instructing. :-)

The most important thing is that the Head Coach was always watching everything. He would go from drill-to-drill, meeting-to-meeting checking things out. Every Head Coach I've ever had was involved behind the scenes in every aspect of the team.

We always knew that he was the puppet master.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:03 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
He could have some level of involvement rather than being completely apathetic to the ongoing deterioration of our dumpster fire defensive unit.
Do you think part of why he is the de facto OC may be because he never was an OC before he became HC?
[Reply]
Flying High D 07:04 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah he is the head coach. We wouldn't want our head coach to coach all aspects of the game. Of course we wouldn't want him to have a say in matters of player acquisition and what direction we go in the draft because he is just a offensive minded head coach.

The point with Haley is he got Bowe and Johnson to become good players during his time in KC. Yet they were a offense and defensive player and he was a golfer.
Do you golf?
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:08 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You have zero evidence he is completely apathetic to the defense. In fact the idea of that is absurd and nothing but emotional babble from someone smart enough to know better.
Teams take on the identity of their coach. Always have, always will.

KC's defense is CLEARLY an afterthought. He has a vision for the offense, but no vision at all for what kind of defensive team he's trying to build. You can tell by the 'strategy' used to build one and the other. You may not like that evidence, but it's certainly there. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

On the field Andy is not at all engaged with the defense. Not even a little.

You can call it 'emotional babble', but who am I going to believe? You or my lying eyes?
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:08 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
The Head Coach yelled at the team as a whole. The coordinators yelled at their side of the ball as a smaller group. Each position coaches yelled at their specific group of players.

It was always tiered levels of yelling, cussing and instructing. :-)

The most important thing is that the Head Coach was always watching everything. He would go from drill-to-drill, meeting-to-meeting checking things out. Every Head Coach I've ever had was involved behind the scenes in every aspect of the.

We always knew that he was the puppet master.
Yeah, that's sounds familiar.

Maybe we had the same coach.

My comments were limited to on the sidelines. During games, the HC rarely had specific words for one unit vs. another. If he did, he started with the DC or the OC (or ST); if he yelled at the players it was something pretty broad (a few cuss words might've been involved), like, "LET'S (expletive expletive freakin' expletive) go now, boys!" Or whatever.

His favorite thing to say was, "LET'S GET OUT THERE AND ($%&*@) HIT SOMEBODY!!"
[Reply]
gold_and_red 07:10 PM 10-14-2019
I think people are advocating for Reid to do more behind the scenes work with the defense, not coaching them up per se but to instill accountability and discipline. Also hiring one game wonders like his buddy Spagnuolo shows questionable judgment on that side of the ball. Sean Payton had no qualms firing Spags after just one year of atrocious defense.

Comparing him (or anybody) to Belichick is unfair. But 20 years is enough to have won one SB with the kind of regular season success he has had. Past performances are good indicators of future success, no wonder some are very jittery about this team's playoff success.

I think CHunt is too enamored with Reid to do anything. Only external pressure from the fans and media can tilt the issue.
[Reply]
JakeF 07:11 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You have zero evidence he is completely apathetic to the defense. In fact the idea of that is absurd and nothing but emotional babble from someone smart enough to know better.
I've never seen him go to DC or a defensive player during a game.

I don't think i've ever seen him blink in the defenses general direction.

He is a glorified OC/QB coach who is so good they had to give him the title of Head Coach to get him to come to their team.
[Reply]
srvy 07:15 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
Do you golf?
Used to all the time I dont anymore. Why?
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:15 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Teams take on the identity of their coach. Always have, always will.

KC's defense is CLEARLY an afterthought. He has a vision for the offense, but no vision at all for what kind of defensive team he's trying to build. You can tell by the 'strategy' used to build one and the other. You may not like that evidence, but it's certainly there. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding.

On the field Andy is not at all engaged with the defense. Not even a little.

You can call it 'emotional babble', but who am I going to believe? You or my lying eyes?
Completely apathetic though? Seriously?

Yes we are an offensive built team thats not a secret. But we turned over the entire defensive staff and over half the starters in the offseason as well as spending most of the money there and draft picks.

You don't get it both ways man. Argue the personal chosen but not the effort.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:17 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I've never seen him go to DC or a defensive player during a game.

I don't think i've ever seen him blink in the defenses general direction.

He is a glorified OC/QB coach who is so good they had to give him the title of Head Coach to get him to come to their team.
I had no idea you could see Reid the whole game.
[Reply]
Jimmya 07:19 PM 10-14-2019
I'm more upset with him hiring his buddies. That's a well known fact around the league... Cris Carter "it's well known that Andy wants to prove that he can win a SUPERBOWL with him calling the plays and he doesn't want a DC overshadowing him."
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:22 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
I'm more upset with him hiring his buddies. That's a well known fact around the league... Cris Carter "it's well known that Andy wants to prove that he can win a SUPERBOWL with him calling the plays and he doesn't want a DC overshadowing him."
Make a decent argument and show me who doesn't hire their friends AKA coaches they have worked with before.

Cris Carter is a nothing more than a color analyst looking to make impact comments to make people talk. IF you don't know that you don't listen to him often.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:26 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Jimmya:
I'm going to opine that Chris Carter doesn't really know much of anything about what Andy Reid is thinking. If he made that statement, that's well above his pay grade.
[Reply]
Flying High D 07:27 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Used to all the time I dont anymore. Why?
I checked into a RV park and they gave me a packet. The packet had a lot of coupons in it. One of the coupons was for a free round of golf. All these golfers come knocking on my RV asking for my free round of golf coupon. They ask me do I golf? I ask them Xbox or PS4.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:30 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I'm going to opine that Chris Carter doesn't really know much of anything about what Andy Reid is thinking. If he made that statement, that's well above his pay grade.
I watch First Thing First most mornings during the week. Carter is almost always playing the foil to Nick Wright who is obviously a huge KC fan. Hell after this weeks loss Nick was down and Carter was playing down the Chiefs loss blaming them on injuries.

You can tell who isn't paying attention on a daily basis to what the media guys are doing.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 9
< 12345 6789 >
Up