ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Andy on bench with Pat while the D struggles
srvy 04:02 PM 10-14-2019
OK this is my pet peeve since everyone else seems to have something to be PO'ed about. Andy turning his back on the D while the offense is off the field. He goes over to pat sits next to him even once caught shooing Kafka his QB coach away. I have been a little bit put off seeing this many times while our D continues to struggle. It looks like he doesn't give a damn bout that side of the ball not to mention how the defensive players feel about it. You the head coach and responsible for everything going on on the field. Its just like Dick Vermeil was and we fielded defenses that produced a no punt game. I realise that Pat is important along with his development but convey it to the person you hired to be QB coach and keep your ass involved in the whole game.

I tried to start the video of what set me off at 3:10 mark of Andy's after game presser. If it starts at beginning just advance to 3:10 to see what I mean.

[Reply]
Jerm 05:36 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's bullshit. You really think our coaches have not already tried to instill motivation and discipline on defense? I mean seriously these are professional coaches we are talking about here. A HS coach knows to do that.

You can come up w the best defensive scheme ever but if the players can't execute it it isn't going to work.. Coaches can only do so much. Our D just doesnt have a lot of talent especially wout Chris Jones out there.
This is Andy Reid we're talking about...I don't buy this at all.

There is ZERO accountability from HIM, and he is where it counts because the buck stops with him, for any player on this team.

Why do you think we're so damn undisciplined all the time? Why are people like DAT on this roster when they add nothing? Because he's an Andy guy...that's what this boils down to. Shit like that.
[Reply]
JakeF 05:38 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
No one was bothered by Andy sitting and going over the previous drive with Pat when the Chiefs were winning, but now it's a problem? More overreaction. Never mind that he's not a defensive coach and never has been.

And please let's not talk about Todd Haley as if he were any kind of a good coach. The man was the worst HC in Chiefs' history.
It's always been weird. Don't mistake overreaction for the ignoring of a problem because we were winning. Andy does it frequently too, he always huddles up with Mahomes during games. He doesn't give a fuck about anything but the offense.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:44 PM 10-14-2019
Andy is not the coach Mahomes needs anymore. Reid is so enammored with his talent we don't run a real offense anymore. Just play long ball. That's not a winning offense and it hangs the defense out dry too often
[Reply]
wazu 05:47 PM 10-14-2019
Andy is Andy. He's not going to change. We shouldn't want him to. I'm sure he discusses the defensive gameplan with Spags during the week to understand the approach, but on game day Andy needs to make sure our offense is so good that defense almost doesn't matter. We haven't had that level of offense the last 2 weeks.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:53 PM 10-14-2019
You can't compare Haley, Crennel and The Herminator to Reid. None of those guys got eight years and complete control over the team. Not that I'm saying that is what should have been done.

Everyone says that this is a talent problem. Haven't these guys been playing football at a high level most of their lives? The percentage of college players that make it to the NFL is a very small number so even at their worst, they all have to be pretty good.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:57 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Yeah he is the head coach. We wouldn't want our head coach to coach all aspects of the game.
Yet, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick come from a defensive background and have their input and are accountable for all 3 phases of their teams.

John Harbaugh was a SPECIAL TEAMS coach who has input into the offense and defense of his team. You think he huddles up with the punter and kicker when the offense and defense are on the field!? Fuck no.

Of course we wouldn't want him to have a say in matters of player acquisition and what direction we go in the draft because he is just a offensive minded head coach.
Yet, there he is...

And please let's not talk about Todd Haley as if he were any kind of a good coach. The man was the worst HC in Chiefs' history.
Impossible. Haley won the division in 2010 and had the team in contention to win the division in 2011 when he got fired. The guys before and after Haley both went 2-14. Haley could do that with guys off the skreet.

The point with Haley is he got Bowe and Johnson to become good players during his time in KC. Yet they were a offense and defensive player and he was a golfer.
Because he held them accountable.
I don't understand why this has to be explained to anyone.
[Reply]
JakeF 05:57 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's bullshit. You really think our coaches have not already tried to instill motivation and discipline on defense? I mean seriously these are professional coaches we are talking about here. A HS coach knows to do that.

You can come up w the best defensive scheme ever but if the players can't execute it it isn't going to work.. Coaches can only do so much. Our D just doesnt have a lot of talent especially wout Chris Jones out there.
Our team has NEVER been disciplined under Andy Reid. It doesn't take talent to not field a punt inside the 10-yard line. It doesn't take talent to not block a man in the back on every punt/kick.

We might still lose the game because of talent but all the constant penalties and stupid mistakes are because of discipline and focus.

Being a bad tacking team is more about a lack of effort and willingness to take the pain than it is talent.

Not knowing how to manage the clock, when to challenge, when you need to run the ball when to pass the ball etc isn't talent. It's a Head Coach being too damn lazy to learn or not caring enough to have a coach specifically for those things.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:59 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Our team has NEVER been disciplined under Andy Reid. It doesn't take talent to not field a punt instead of the 10-yard line. It doesn't take talent to not block a man in the back on every punt/kick.

We might still lose the game because of talent but all the constant penalties and stupid mistakes are because of discipline and focus.

Being a bad tacking team is a lack of effort and willingness to take the pain than it is talent.

Not knowing how to manage the clock, when to challenge, when you need to run the ball when to pass the ball etc isn't talent. It's a Head Coach being too damn lazy to learn or not caring enough to have a coach specifically for those things.
This is the best post you've ever made, JakeF.

And 100% irrefutably accurate.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:00 PM 10-14-2019
It's always been weird. Don't mistake overreaction for the ignoring of a problem because we were winning. Andy does it frequently too, he always huddles up with Mahomes during games. He doesn't give a **** about anything but the offense.
Why is it so weird? The NFL is littered with defensive HC coaches that also leave the offense entirely to the OC. And vice versa. you think Sean McVay is going over to the defense and trying to ell them how to handle their business? Wade Phillips would probably roll his eyes and tell him to mind his offense. Or Sean Peyton? It's the norm, not an outlier.

What's Andy supposed to do? Go over and give the defensive unit a 'rah-rah' speech? Is that going to be helpful? Or can he best serve the team by getting with the QB and going over how to possibly beat the other team's defense, something he's qualified to do?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:02 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Everyone says that this is a talent problem. Haven't these guys been playing football at a high level most of their lives? The percentage of college players that make it to the NFL is a very small number so even at their worst, they all have to be pretty good.
It's not talent, at this point, it's discipline.

Our team has NEVER been disciplined under Andy Reid. It doesn't take talent to not field a punt instead of the 10-yard line. It doesn't take talent to not block a man in the back on every punt/kick.

Being a bad tacking team is a lack of effort and willingness to take the pain than it is talent.

Last year, people kept blaming Sutton and a lack of talent for the defensive woes, so Reid replaced Sutton and brought in 7 new defensive starters...and it's still a ****ing dumpster fire over there on the front 7. So...since everyone and everything is different, including the scheme, we have to look at what HASN'T changed...
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:04 PM 10-14-2019
Why is it so weird? The NFL is littered with defensive HC coaches that also leave the offense entirely to the OC. And vice versa. you think Sean McVay is going over to the defense and trying to ell them how to handle their business? Wade Phillips would probably roll his eyes and tell him to mind his offense. Or Sean Peyton? It's the norm, not an outlier.

What's Andy supposed to do? Go over and give the defensive unit a 'rah-rah' speech? Is that going to be helpful? Or can he best serve the team by getting with the QB and going over how to possibly beat the other team's defense, something he's qualified to do?
He could, I don't know, start holding people fucking accountable?

When the LBs suck, he needs to start benching them.

Same with the DL.
[Reply]
-King- 06:07 PM 10-14-2019
I don't care that he does this. I have no problem with a coach being hands off in an area he doesn't specialize in. I just wish he hired a better coach in the first place.
[Reply]
Jimmya 06:11 PM 10-14-2019
"Andy Reid will never be a true head coach because he only cares about offense. He will never trust a true OC."
Eagles Fan
[Reply]
JakeF 06:12 PM 10-14-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
It's not talent, at this point, it's discipline.

Last year, people kept blaming Sutton and a lack of talent for the defensive woes, so Reid replaced Sutton and brought in 7 new defensive starters...and it's still a ****ing dumpster fire over there on the front 7. So...since everyone and everything is different, including the scheme, we have to look at what HASN'T changed...
Year after year, the common denominator is Andy Reid.

Schottenheimer could never field a good offense no matter how many times he switched OCs. Andy Reid can't ever field a defense. The trend exists throughout the NFL, teams take after their Head Coach.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:17 PM 10-14-2019
Year after year, the common denominator is Andy Reid.

Schottenheimer could never field a good offense no matter how many times he switched OCs. Andy Reid can't ever field a defense. The trend exists throughout the NFL, teams take after their Head Coach.
Sean Payton was a QB, Qb coach, OC, now HC with the Saints and has never had anything to do with the defense. And has won a SB by leaving the defense to the DC.

Bill Walsh?

Mike Holmgren?

Doug Pederson?

Mike McCarthy?

Jon Gruden?

Shall we go on?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up