ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Sturgill Simpson: SOUND & FURY
carcosa 04:36 PM 09-28-2019
New album came out yesterday. Just listened to it. It kicks ass.

Thanks!!!
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:22 AM 10-04-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
It's really not focused.

And he fired Jaur Loaments because Jaur 'didn't keep it country enough'...and now this album?

He needed Jaur to pull this off. And a half dozen better songs...I don't know maybe it'll grow on me.
Laur Joamets, but yes, I agree.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:15 AM 10-04-2019
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Laur Joamets, but yes, I agree.
I've always called him "Jaur", I guess I forgot I was being funny and actually thought it was his name in my mind's eye :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:29 AM 10-04-2019
I've liked him since Sunday Valley days but It disappoints me to say I'm not a fan of this one.

He's getting further away from me. I'll load up on more Childers and I'm becoming a fan quickly of Zach Bryan.
[Reply]
Pablo 07:12 PM 10-04-2019
I'm gonna give it a go tonight. I hated his last album the first time I listened to it. Now I listen to it more than any of his others. He's not a guy to keep the same sound and I like that to a degree.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:34 PM 10-04-2019
This album is extremely disappointing. I have no idea what he's doing.

I always appreciated his classic country sound with a modern twist. Vocals with a unique tone and great lyrics.

What's the reason they make it sound like he's singing into a tin can on almost this entire album? I understand mixing country and rock beats, but this just feels like a jumbled mess. He's not expressing anything that he's talented at on this entire album. I don't see me listening to this more than a handful of times ever, it's that bad.
[Reply]
NewChief 04:51 AM 10-05-2019
I mean... if you read anything leading up to this, you kind of had an idea what to expect. I like the album, but it is closer to Arcade Fire meets ZZ Top than anything in his past. He’s said he’s going to do 5 albums, each with its own statement and sound, then move on.

He’s a weird, heady dude who has a specific artistic vision. It doesn’t surprise me that he got tired of a specific sound and moved on. It also doesn’t surprise me that fans who loved his country sound don’t like it. Just like I wouldn’t expect most of those fans to like CAN or Dungen or some other modern psychedelic band.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by NewChief:
I mean... if you read anything leading up to this, you kind of had an idea what to expect. I like the album, but it is closer to Arcade Fire meets ZZ Top than anything in his past. He’s said he’s going to do 5 albums, each with its own statement and sound, then move on.

He’s a weird, heady dude who has a specific artistic vision. It doesn’t surprise me that he got tired of a specific sound and moved on. It also doesn’t surprise me that fans who loved his country sound don’t like it. Just like I wouldn’t expect most of those fans to like CAN or Dungen or some other modern psychedelic band.
Don’t justify this shit!

I’ll kick your fucking ass!!!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:41 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Don’t justify this shit!

I’ll kick your ****ing ass!!!
:-)
:-)
[Reply]
jjjayb 02:18 PM 10-05-2019
He may need to lay off the DMT a little bit.
[Reply]
Valiant 03:11 PM 10-05-2019
I don't know about the album but okay as a heavy metal anime knockoff.
[Reply]
Pablo 02:46 PM 10-08-2019
I've listened to it twice now. I don't hate it. I don't love it. I'll listen to it another couple of times and have a solid opinion.

He may have hit his peak w/ 'A Sailor's Guide to Earth'.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:57 AM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I've listened to it twice now. I don't hate it. I don't love it. I'll listen to it another couple of times and have a solid opinion.

He may have hit his peak w/ 'A Sailor's Guide to Earth'.
I'm kind of in this boat with it, as well.

It's not unlistenable, but it's not something I absolutely HAVE to hear again...

Hope he gets back to actual songs sometime, because there's 3 or 4 songs and then a bunch of cool sounds.

I'm a 'song' person.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:42 PM 10-12-2019
Fuck this piece of shit album!!!!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:52 PM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
**** this piece of shit album!!!!
I concorn.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:15 AM 10-13-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser: