ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>$2,000 Phone - Galaxy Fold
BWillie 07:30 PM 03-01-2019
It's beautiful. I'm getting one if it has 5G capabilities.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/1...e-announcement

Samsung first teased its foldable phone back in November, and at the company’s Galaxy Unpacked event today, it’s further detailing its foldable plans. Samsung’s foldable now has a name, the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and the company is revealing more about what this unique smartphone can do. Samsung is planning to launch the Galaxy Fold on April 26th, starting at $1,980, through AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, with a free pair of Samsung’s new wireless earbuds. There will be both an LTE and 5G version of the Galaxy Fold, and Samsung is even planning on launching the device in Europe on May 3rd, starting at 2,000 euros.

Samsung is using a new 7.3-inch Infinity Flex Display that allows the phone itself to have a tablet-sized screen that can be folded to fit into a pocket. The main display is QXGA+ resolution (4.2:3), and when it’s folded, a smaller 4.6-inch HD+ (12:9) display is used for the phone mode. Samsung is using 512GB of Universal Flash Storage 3.0 (eUFS) for fast speeds, alongside a Qualcomm 7nm octa-core processor and 12GB of RAM. Samsung has even built two batteries for its Galaxy Fold, that are separated by the fold but combined in the Android operating system to represent a total of 4,380 mAh.

Samsung has built a sturdy backbone to the device, with a hinge system that has multiple interlocking gears. All of these gears are hidden at the rear of the device, and allow the Galaxy Fold to transform from tablet to phone modes. Samsung says it’s able to fold at least 200,000 times, which works out to over 5 years if you fold it 100 times a day. At the rear of the device there’s also a triple-camera system that will be used for both tablet and phone modes. There’s a 16-megapixel ultra-wide camera, alongside 12-megapixel wide-angle and telephoto cameras at the rear, and a 10-megapixel cover camera for selfies. Samsung is also creating four different colors for the Galaxy Fold, but it’s the main tablet display that’s key here.

Samsung is allowing the Galaxy Fold to run three apps at once on this Android device, and it’s using an app continuity system to adjust these apps when you move between tablet and phone modes. Apps like WhatsApp, Microsoft Office, and YouTube have all been optimized for the new display and modes, and Samsung has been working with Google to ensure Android 9 Pie fully supports this display.

Samsung demonstrated a variety of apps running in this mode, and the switching from phone to tablet and vice versa. It looks rather smooth in the software right now, but it’s fair to say that the Galaxy Fold looks far better when it’s folded out than being used as a traditional phone. The phone display is clearly designed to be used with one hand, but it’s flanked by large bezels that aren’t found on the tablet mode. We’ll need to get a closer look at the Galaxy Fold to find out exactly how this impacts the device usability, though.

Samsung isn’t the only smartphone maker creating a foldable device, but it’s certainly one of the first to make it widely available. Xiaomi teased its own folding phone recently, that looked like the best concept we’ve seen so far. Huawei is also reportedly planning to release a foldable handset this year, and Lenovo has started to tease its own prototype. LG has also been developing flexible OLED displays and TVs that roll up into a box. If all these manufacturers progress toward shipping a device like Samsung, then expect to see a lot of foldable phones in 2019 and beyond.
[Reply]
MTG#10 12:08 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
The S10+ is like $1100 isn't it? Only $800 more. I'll justify it. IDK. I use my phone more than my car. Having a screen that big is going to be awesome. And I'm going to switch from ****ing Sprint to Verizon and T-Mobile. Life is too short to have shitty service.
I thought I read the Fold wasn't going to be available on Verizon? If something has changed I'll be getting it asap. And I agree, my phone is by far the most used item I own, business and personal. $2k for something I use that much is reasonable to me.
[Reply]
BigRichard 03:46 PM 04-17-2019
Could mean trouble
Originally Posted by :

Review units of Samsung's folding phone are breaking, and it's a potential fiasco that threatens the company's fragile reputation

https://www.businessinsider.com/sams...isaster-2019-4

[Reply]
notorious 04:26 PM 04-17-2019
Pulls 2k phone out of pocket.

Check texts.

Drops on concrete.

Fuck.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:36 PM 04-17-2019
Yeah, they'd better just delay that one. Saw one where the left side just flickered between a blank white and what should be there.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:47 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Could mean trouble
Sammy will figure it out. Even at 0.4% failure rate, that is not acceptable, but still rare. They won't just leave you stuck with a messed up phone.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:49 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Sammy will figure it out. Even at 0.4% failure rate, that is not acceptable, but still rare. They won't just leave you stuck with a messed up phone.
After the exploding Note 7 fiasco, I'm not so sure.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:13 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
Pulls 2k phone out of pocket.

Check texts.

Drops on concrete.

Fuck.
The protective cases for this thing are going to be interesting to see.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:46 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
After the exploding Note 7 fiasco, I'm not so sure.
They didn't leave me hanging with the Note 7. They replaced the phone and gave me free money. It was just annoying more than anything.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:16 PM 04-17-2019
lol dumb
[Reply]
jd1020 03:21 PM 04-18-2019
The new 3D TV/Curved display gimmick.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:41 PM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by jd1020:
The new 3D TV/Curved display gimmick.
3d gimmick. Curved TV not gimmick.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:06 PM 04-18-2019
My Samsung Galaxy Fold screen broke after just a day
Yikes
By Dieter Bohn@backlon Apr 17, 2019, 1:52pm EDT

Look closely at the picture above, and you can see a small bulge right on the crease of my Galaxy Fold review unit. It’s just enough to slightly distort the screen, and I can feel it under my finger. There’s something pressing up against the screen at the hinge, right there in the crease. My best guess is that it’s a piece of debris, something harder than lint for sure. It’s possible that it’s something else, though, like the hinge itself on a defective unit pressing up on the screen.

It’s a distressing thing to discover just two days after receiving my review unit. More distressing is that the bulge eventually pressed sharply enough into the screen to break it. You can see the telltale lines of a broken OLED converging on the spot where the bulge is.

Whatever happened, it certainly wasn’t because I have treated this phone badly. I’ve done normal phone stuff, like opening and closing the hinge and putting it in my pocket. We did stick a tiny piece of molding clay on the back of the phone yesterday to prop it up for a video shoot, which is something we do in every phone video shoot. So perhaps a tiny piece of that snuck into a gap on the back of the hinge and then around or through its cogs until it lodged in between the screen and the hinge. It’d be sort of like Charlie Chaplin getting caught in the gears in Modern Times.

(cont'd.)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/1...flexible-bulge
[Reply]
007 10:26 PM 04-18-2019
Bunch of $2000 paperweights.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:52 PM 04-18-2019
I’ve read that a lot of these are breaking.
[Reply]
jjjayb 10:24 AM 04-19-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I’ve read that a lot of these are breaking.
4. Which is still too many. But 4 of them have broken so far. 2 of them were broken by people peeling what they thought was a removable screen protector off. It wasn't removable. So 2 of them have broken. Still too many when you consider how few are out there right now.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up