« First < 23456 78 >
Media Center>Nintendo Announces Switch Console
BigBeauford 01:44 PM 10-20-2016
I don't need it.

I don't need it.

I don't need it.

[Reply]
Fish 10:32 PM 03-02-2017
Sigh.... now I've gotta buy the damn thing. Stupid awesome Zelda..
[Reply]
Gravedigger 11:14 PM 03-02-2017
I gotta go pick mine up right now. Three day weekend, let's do this!
[Reply]
kcxiv 04:04 AM 03-03-2017
I just got mine, waited 5 min no pre-order. got zelda, its on right now!
[Reply]
dmahurin 06:08 AM 03-03-2017
Got mine at midnight. Have to wait until after work today to play it.
[Reply]
kcxiv 07:00 AM 03-03-2017
5 am and I had to shut it off. Getting tired. Zelda is ****ing amazing
[Reply]
notorious 08:26 AM 03-03-2017
Awww Shit.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-m...h-of-the-wild/

Nintendo made a new 8-bit Legend of Zelda, and you'll never get to play it

Gaming

by Sean Hollister
March 1, 2017 6:48 PM PST
@starfire2258

"The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" began as an 8-bit* prototype. Awesomely retro.

In "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild," the flagship game for the new Nintendo Switch, you can -- for example -- cut down trees, roll the logs down river, chop them into firewood, set them on fire, and use the rising heat to send Link flying up into the air.

How did Nintendo know these mechanics would be any fun? They went old-school. They created a brand new Legend of Zelda prototype using the 8-bit graphics* of the 2D, top-down 1986 NES original.

Today, they revealed the existence of that prototype at the 2017 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, where I was lucky enough to take a few photos of what it looked like.

Even better: someone else recorded video of the whole thing, so you can watch for yourself:

And perhaps the most intriguing thing about the 2D prototype? It's not actually two-dimensional at all:

Does this point to the possible existence of a Zelda Maker, a la Nintendo's Super Mario Maker game that lets you create your own levels in the original Super Mario Bros. style?

We can only hope.

[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:02 AM 03-03-2017
Buy a switch or a wiiu, whatever. This one ranks up there with OoT.

Not an exaggeration.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 10:42 AM 03-03-2017
I'll say it again for the 1000x. Nintendo has many many flaws, but they absolutely run circles around everyone else when it comes to actual story, content, and gameplay.

Part of me wished after the WiiU debacle they would have given serious thought to focusing on just making games and charging a premium for licensing. A lot of the unique offerings for the Switch seen extremely hindered because the hardware is once again lagging behind, and I don't care if they're not #1 in raw technical specs, but the system should be cutting edge when it comes out to handle the fact that it's going to used for at least a 5 year product cycle.

Somebody discussing it put it in a better way of viewing the Switch. Nintendo essentially brought out a top of the line portable game system that happens to be able to be played on your TV when you are at home.

They might be wise to lean on it being a portable system first and foremost, and then not having to deal with it constantly compared to XBOX or PS as much?
[Reply]
DC.chief 11:36 AM 03-03-2017
Damn. I gotta buy it now. Was going to try to wait a little bit but reading these reviews has me hyped. I'm not crazy about the Switch but I don't have a Wii U.. So if you were me would you buy a switch for BOTW or get a U?
[Reply]
Fish 11:40 AM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by DC.chief:
Damn. I gotta buy it now. Was going to try to wait a little bit but reading these reviews has me hyped. I'm not crazy about the Switch but I don't have a Wii U.. So if you were me would you buy a switch for BOTW or get a U?
That's my current dilemma. I'm gonna have to buy this damn game too. I'm almost leaning toward getting a used WiiU off craigslist. The WiiU is now able to be soft modded to run game backups from an external USB drive. So I'm kinda leaning toward that because it would give me a huge library very easily. What I want to know is when future Nintendo games will start being incompatible with the WiiU...
[Reply]
Chiefspants 12:05 PM 03-03-2017
I'm going to suck it up and buy the Switch. With the content on the way and rumors about a Pokemon Open World style game (****ing finally), I'm going to put my money on their current console.

Don't leave me hanging, Nintendo.
[Reply]
NewChief 12:52 PM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's my current dilemma. I'm gonna have to buy this damn game too. I'm almost leaning toward getting a used WiiU off craigslist. The WiiU is now able to be soft modded to run game backups from an external USB drive. So I'm kinda leaning toward that because it would give me a huge library very easily. What I want to know is when future Nintendo games will start being incompatible with the WiiU...
My advice would be to wait a month. If reports continue to be positive on the switch, buy it.

That being said, if you really are DYING to play BotW, pull the trigger on a WiiU without feeling too bad. I have one, and there ARE some great titles on it, despite what people try to say. The problem is that those same proprietary titles are going to likely appear on the Switch in better versions (will they eventually make a ZombiSwitch?, though?).
[Reply]
Fish 01:07 PM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by NewChief:
My advice would be to wait a month. If reports continue to be positive on the switch, buy it.

That being said, if you really are DYING to play BotW, pull the trigger on a WiiU without feeling too bad. I have one, and there ARE some great titles on it, despite what people try to say. The problem is that those same proprietary titles are going to likely appear on the Switch in better versions (will they eventually make a ZombiSwitch?, though?).
Yes, I agree with your points. It's just really tempting seeing used WiiU consoles for well under $200 on craigslist. I could get a used WiiU, buy BotW, download all current WiiU games, and have a huge playable library for half the price of buying the Switch + BotW.

That said, the Switch + BotW bundle looks pretty sweet for $429...
[Reply]
Jerm 01:22 PM 03-03-2017
Was surprised how quick my Switch updated as did BotW....was worried it'd take forever lol.

Really dig the OS, Shop, etc....everything is sharp and quick and easy to navigate.

I'm already in love with this system...think Nintendo knocked it outta the park.
[Reply]
Jerm 01:36 PM 03-03-2017
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
I'll say it again for the 1000x. Nintendo has many many flaws, but they absolutely run circles around everyone else when it comes to actual story, content, and gameplay.

Part of me wished after the WiiU debacle they would have given serious thought to focusing on just making games and charging a premium for licensing. A lot of the unique offerings for the Switch seen extremely hindered because the hardware is once again lagging behind, and I don't care if they're not #1 in raw technical specs, but the system should be cutting edge when it comes out to handle the fact that it's going to used for at least a 5 year product cycle.

Somebody discussing it put it in a better way of viewing the Switch. Nintendo essentially brought out a top of the line portable game system that happens to be able to be played on your TV when you are at home.

They might be wise to lean on it being a portable system first and foremost, and then not having to deal with it constantly compared to XBOX or PS as much?
This is why I'll take all the grief that comes with being a Nintendo fanboy and I'll deal with their sometimes antiquated, ass backwards thinking (even though it royally pisses me off) because when they deliver...they fucking deliver big time, like no one else can. The thought of getting not only 1 masterpiece like BotW but possibly 2 if Mario Odyssey is in the same class is astounding to me. And let's be honest....who doesn't expect Mario to be anything short of amazing?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up