ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Media Center>Board Game Fans?
Pitt Gorilla 11:45 PM 11-27-2011
A friend of mine has got me into some "geeky" gaming that has become a real hit at my house. We've been playing Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island as a family, while my buddy and I have been playing Ascension, Resident Evil, and Dominion.

Are there any other cool board/card games out there that I should check out? I mean, I've seen the spiel des jahres lists, but I'd love some first hand thoughts on cool games.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:38 AM 11-03-2016
I've been playing pandemic legacy, Holy shit this game is good. I definitely recommend it.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:24 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I've been playing pandemic legacy, Holy shit this game is good. I definitely recommend it.
We're in April. It does make Pandemic better, but you got to space out play times to prevent burnout.
[Reply]
Hydrae 10:51 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I have a friend who has gone games nuts the last two years or so. His last count was 273 games! :-) I go over most Saturdays and help him learn another new game.

He has another couple of friends he is playing Pandemic Legacy with and I think they are in July or August. I have sat in twice and we won both times. Now they want me to be there more often!

I saw someone asking about 2 player games. The first one that came to mind for me is Star Realms. It is a card buying game similar in that respect to Dominion. Definitely one of my favorites. Also check out The Duke (strategy similar to a scaled down version of Chess) and I recently had a chance to play Strife. That was good and seems to have some good re-playability.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:56 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I have a friend who has gone games nuts the last two years or so. His last count was 273 games! :-) I go over most Saturdays and help him learn another new game.

He has another couple of friends he is playing Pandemic Legacy with and I think they are in July or August. I have sat in twice and we won both times. Now they want me to be there more often!

I saw someone asking about 2 player games. The first one that came to mind for me is Star Realms. It is a card buying game similar in that respect to Dominion. Definitely one of my favorites. Also check out The Duke (strategy similar to a scaled down version of Chess) and I recently had a chance to play Strife. That was good and seems to have some good re-playability.
I've got Patchwork coming in the mail on Friday. I've watched the Rhado runs through on it, and it looks like a great gateway game that could become very complex.
[Reply]
Hydrae 10:57 AM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I've got Patchwork coming in the mail on Friday. I've watched the Rhado runs through on it, and it looks like a great gateway game that could become very complex.
I hate that game! I always beat my buddy at The Duke but he always wins Patchwork. Don't know why it just does not seem to work for me. :-)
[Reply]
Frosty 12:02 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
The first one that came to mind for me is Star Realms.
I really enjoy playing Star Realms but, man, my kids smoke me in that game every time we play.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:04 PM 11-03-2016
Picked up Mighty Monsters Family from the Amazon sale. WE need a good game to play together this winter.
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:34 PM 11-03-2016

I got this last year for Christmas, I have yet to open it but it looks fun.
[Reply]
Hydrae 04:31 PM 11-03-2016
Originally Posted by Sorce:
Amazon is having a 1 day board game sale, I don't know a lot of these but if anyone is interested.

Amazon.com
Thanks, didn't know about that. Went to take a look at what they had, found out that I had a $25 balance available so I bought this:

[Reply]
BigBeauford 11:21 AM 08-17-2017
It's been a while, but I figured this thread could use a bump.

Game Review: Scythe

A relative newcomer to the board game scene, but with much fanfare, Scythe was a kickstarter darling from the creator of successful games such as Euphoria and Viticulture, the latter which sits at 29 on the Boardgame Geek Chart. Seemingly overnight, Scythe has rocketed up to number #8. I have been skeptical of these "cult of the new" games which sit up top, after my gaming group grew not so fond of Pandemic Legacy after several play-throughs. However the beautiful artwork, and word of the components made me curious enough to purchase it. At the very least, it would look great in my collection. But how does it play?

Alternate History WWI

"It is a time of unrest in 1920s Europa. The ashes from the first great war still darken the snow. The capitalistic city-state known simply as “The Factory”, which fueled the war with heavily armored mechs, has closed its doors, drawing the attention of several nearby countries."

I am an absolute sucker for alternate history stories, and Scythe's world-building is no exception. As one of 5 (or 7 if you own the expansion) factions, your goal is to control a large game board and produce resources in an effort to expand your faction's influence on this new world. Those who are fans of great artwork and components are in for a treat. I would consider this to be the best artistic example in the hobby. The photos do it a greater justice than I could.

Encounter Cards

The components are good as well. I'm not going to claim they are the best, but they are highly serviceable, and there are many. In fact, the large amount of components could be a negative, since folks might be intimidated by just looking at the vast array. Add to the fact that clean up and take down is very tedious, and this can all work against the games' appeal. I strongly suggest an organizer for this game.

Gameplay: Cold War

The gameplay is much simpler than what the presentation suggests. Each player has a two part player board: one for the faction, and one for actions. The designer smartly did not tie the two together, so each player will randomly be assigned a faction board and action board. Each action board is different, with actions costing different amounts, which leads to a different play style each game to up the replayability.

Pictured: Top board is faction; bottom is actions.

Each turn, plays move their pawn piece to one of the four actions. They take the top action by paying or performing the action, and then if they can afford to, take the bottom action as well. They cannot take the same action the next turn, which leads to careful planning of your moves to try and maximize both actions in one turn.Add to this the fact that there is direct player conflict and combat, there is a lot to consider.

Interestingly, there isn't a whole lot of combat in the game, since sending other players' workers back to their base decreases your popularity. Popularity is a metric that greatly increases the money gained for having items. Often times, there is a constant threat of "possible" combat, leading to tense cold war situations. Players usually initiate combat only once or twice through each game, but when it occurs, the loser often is stuck with lasting consequences.

Achievement Unlocked

The game ends when any player puts up a 6th star on their achievement track. These can be done by completing all of a certain action, like deploying all 4 mechs, winning combat, or maxing popularity. After the 6th star is put up, play ends immediately, and payouts are awarded for items they have, and where they stand on the popularity track. The winner is the one who has the most money at the end of the game.

After just one play through, this game has vaulted into my own favorites, and I consider it to be a classic in worker-placement.

#1. Agricola
#2. Castles of Burgundy
#3. Scythe
#4. Power Grid
#5. Shadows over Camelot

I think it deserves a place in any game collectors space.

On an unrelated note, are any CP members interested in some kind of CP Tabletop night? Preferably those living in the KC Metro area.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:33 PM 08-22-2017
Just noticed this thread for the first time. Do any CP members attend Gencon in Indianapolis? Big gaming con every year. I have been going the last 3 years with some friends.
[Reply]
patteeu 07:05 AM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
On an unrelated note, are any CP members interested in some kind of CP Tabletop night? Preferably those living in the KC Metro area.
I'd be interested depending on scheduling.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:16 AM 08-24-2017
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I'd be interested depending on scheduling.
There is a "Pawn and Pint" bar/board game in KC. I don't know what's required in reserving a table, but having some drinks and playing a game sounds fun. If there are enough interested parties, I could reach out to them to make a reservation, and we can hold a vote on what game to play that night.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:50 PM 11-17-2017
There is a board game shop in Mission that hosts various game nights nearly every day. Would be another viable option if anyone is interested.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:44 PM 11-18-2017
Pairs. Simple, yet incredibly fun.
Kingdomino is a lot of fun.
Dimension isn't as fun as I want it to be, but it's still fun and very unique.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Up