ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Don't be me with your computer files
Mr. Wizard 03:28 PM 10-27-2020
:-):-) I just lost all of my computer data dating back 20 years. Long story short I had it BACKED UP on a 2tb portable hard drive which I dropped. It's trashed. 2 different sysops looked at it. I can send it to the company and pray but that bill starts at $1000.00 They took it apart and its running but the arm is scratching back and forth across the disk. No light comes on and it is not recognized by any computer I plug it into. 20 years of taxes, personal files, small business files and lesson plans and lessons from my 30 years of teaching welding - gone.:-):-)

Truthfully I had it backed up on my computer c drive which had to be re-imaged.
My though was, it gets re-imaged, I copy everything back, now I still have two copies. :-)BAM god punished me.:-):-)

Don't be me, back that stuff up twice. I would do it on "the cloud" but know little about it. Mr. Wizard is wrong again!

PS is the cloud a good idea for an old dog like me?
[Reply]
DaFace 02:24 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's not part of the base package. I would strongly recommend anybody that wants to use DropBox frequently go ahead and pay for it. So many extra features and so much more storage.

The free service would be a lot more useful if it weren't so limited. In a way, that's Apple's problem - I use iCloud to sync/save my contacts and stuff but I have to backup my own photos because I have well over 50GB of pics and movies and don't want to pay extra when I could spend that money on an actual cloud backup service like Backblaze.
Not sure what you mean. The 30-day versioning is included in all Dropbox accounts (even free ones).
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:25 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not sure what you mean. The 30-day versioning is included in all Dropbox accounts (even free ones).
Interesting. Been a while since I've used DB.
[Reply]
scho63 04:39 PM 10-28-2020
I have a Samsung solid state plug in extra HARD DRIVE of 2TB.

Cost me $179 on sale a few years ago. Showing $249 on Samsung but you can get it cheaper.

Best investment you can make and takes 1 minute to back up everything.

LINK TO WEBSITE
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:23 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
Last year my company lost 18 months worth of data
I've restored the data of 6 fortune 50 companies that got ransomwared. All lost serious amounts of data. Not a single one have announced a damn thing about it publicly.
[Reply]
scho63 06:28 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I've restored the data of 6 fortune 50 companies that got ransomwared. All lost serious amounts of data. Not a single one have announced a damn thing about it publicly.

Sounds like you got some good inside information for trading stocks or black mailing them!!! :-)

[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 06:51 PM 10-28-2020
I honestly thought most companies just paid the ransom.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but I used manage a Best Buy up north. One early Monday morning I got a call at home from the regional manager. He said I needed to send x amount of computers, televisions, video games, etc. to the store at 40 and Noland.

This is when it was tucked back away, and and not really close to Noland road. Every store in the 32 store region had to send product to that Independence store.

Sunday night the store closed early like always, and when it was dark, I guess a couple of 18 wheelers rolled up to the back dock, and someone with knowledge of the alarm disabled it, and the stole every high dollar item in the store. They had to have had 40-50 people somehow, because the store was wiped out. They even used the heavy equipment to steal all the washers and Dryers that were stored in racks around the outer wall of the store.

All 32 stores in our region restocked that store, and Best Buy never said a word about it publicly. They obviously reported it, but they did d everything they could to make sure no one found out what happened, because they were afraid if would spawn a lot of similar attempts around the country.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:38 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:

Sounds like you got some good inside information for trading stocks or black mailing them!!! :-)
The NDA had something in there about stocks. Can’t disclose for 75 years. Did it for about a year. You had to sign before you even knew who the company was. Now I have a gap in my resume that’s on the resume but can’t provide references. But, I’ve done that work for decades so it doesn’t really matter about 1 year.

I interviewed for a contract with a company a couple of months ago. They said yeah, I can’t understand why some companies don’t take security more seriously. One of those companies I helped restore was his ****ing company and he’s a VP and didn’t even know. These huge conglomerates are damn good at keeping secrets.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:43 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
I honestly thought most companies just paid the ransom.
not the big boys. Unless they dont have a good and current off network and off site backup. They’ll just do a restore. It’s cheaper and safer.
[Reply]
eDave 08:22 PM 10-28-2020
I got cloud stuff going on and I email all important files to myself.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:23 PM 10-28-2020
Unless it's required by law (like customer personal information was compromised) most companies don't disclose.

All it does is freak out shareholders and drive stock prices down. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:10 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Unless it's required by law (like customer personal information was compromised) most companies don't disclose.

All it does is freak out shareholders and drive stock prices down. :-)
yep. As far as I know, no customers info was lost at any of the jobs. So they don’t have to report it. Which is exactly the reason the ransomware gangs chose that part of their operation. It’s handled on the down low and no publicity.

Why take the stock hit? I’d bet real money that 75% of the top fortune 50 companies have had this happen to them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:14 PM 10-28-2020
yep. As far as I know, no customers info was lost at any of the jobs. So they don’t have to report it. Why take the stock hit? I’d bet real money that 75% of the top fortune 50 companies have had this happen to them.
All I can say is that you're pretty much correct. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:30 PM 10-28-2020
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
What do you guys need all that crap for? 20 years? WTH
I'd rather not lose my entire music collection...
[Reply]
Lzen 09:01 AM 10-29-2020
Mods, perhaps a name change is in order?

Mr. ID10T
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:38 PM 11-05-2020
7 bucks for the first year for a 5 TB cloud backup.

https://www.idrive.com/

Renews at standard rate.

My Google Fiber pipe is flowing right now!
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up