ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>IT'S TOO HOT!!!!
gblowfish 09:47 AM 06-16-2018
Did as much yard work as I could last night between 7:30 and sundown, finished the rest this morning before 9:30am. It's been mid to high 90's the last couple days, and will be there again today through at least Tuesday. I just work till I get tired, then I quit. My sister wound up in the ER in St. Louis yesterday with dehydration. She passed out after doing yard work for an hour. Everybody be careful out there. What are YOU doing to stay cool this weekend?
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:14 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
i put a steering gear on a one ton duramax yesterday afternoon about ten minutes after it got off the highway running 70 for over a hundred miles.

Hot
Mother
Fucker
You’re probably humid enough that swamp coolers won’t help?
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:17 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Don't you write tickets based on when people do bad things?
Supply of bad people apparently outstrips demand. On a positive note, I have learned that I can speed in hot weather if I do it only in the afternoon.

I'm in Arkansas today and ran a 10K this morning since it was kind of near my hotel. I was dripping sweat at 7:30 in the morning at the starting line. That's just not right.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:22 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I give everyone 10mph. Anything over that I will usually stop them. 10mph over is fairly generous on my end.
I like the traffic guys who pop on the lights and give you the I'm looking at you move.

[Reply]
srvy 12:28 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
i put a steering gear on a one ton duramax yesterday afternoon about ten minutes after it got off the highway running 70 for over a hundred miles.

Hot
Mother
Fucker
Yep I could imagine.
[Reply]
srvy 12:31 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
I just finished mowing, weed eating, adding mulch to the landscaping, and power washing the deck and patio. Started at 6:30 this morning.

Hike up your skirt, gblowfish. It’s not that bad out there.
I think you missed the part where he stated medications he takes are heat sensitive.

Also everyone's heat and cold tolerances are different.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:24 PM 06-16-2018
I understand it is hot every where. We hit 100 this week. The humidity has been in the 90% area to go along with the temps.
The bright side is summer doesn't start for almost another week........
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:31 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones:
It was 110 here in Phoenix the other day. Yesterday it was 90. I needed a light jacket.
80 in Phoenix today, hope you have a scarf. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 01:33 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
Working in the elements my whole life I always liked winter over summer. You can always put more clothes on if your cold but when its hot you just stay hot.

I always felt for those folks who worked at Owens Corning Fiberglass in Fairfax Ks. I used to have to go in the once a month to monitor elevations on fan motor bases and column pads supporting the ovens. It was always hot in there summer and winter Think glass blowers shop in branson or a blacksmith shop. We would have one location under the main oven we would have to get readings on 12 columns. It took about 10 minutes it was so hot your heart raced and you could feel every pump. It was actually hard to think straight and if you touch the steel on the column it would burn. They actually had a rule that work under the oven could only go for 10 minute interval then you had to come out and into an air conditioned hut on the outside. We would come out pouring sweat and shirt and jeans soaked hitting the ac actually made you feel worse as you got sluggish and cold shivers. It was double overtime so we volunteered but that was the worst.
Back during college, I worked summers at Johns Manville fiberglass insulation plant in McPherson, KS. It was 12hr shift work, which sucked. But the pay was incredible and I lived in my parent's basement at the time so I made tons of money for a college kid.

They would take glass balls about the size of a golf ball, and melt them in a giant oven and blow string sized threads of glass into a big 16 foot wide mat, which would then be cut into whichever insulation was being made. Every six months, we had to do what's called an oven cleanout. Where we had to get inside the ovens and scrape off the layer of baked insulation from the sides of the oven walls and ducts with a little pneumatic hand chisel. They couldn't completely shut down the entire oven, so it was still very hot. We had to get bundled up in what was basically a hazmat suit, and duct tape around our hands and feet, and wear a respirator and crawl inside this thing and chisel the walls. The worst was cleaning out the ducts that ran to the filtration units, because the ducts were about the dimensions of a coffin, and they'd shove you in and you'd be working with your arms out in front of you and you couldn't turn around. And they'd occasionally pull you out and make sure you were ok, and shove you back in by your feet. It was easily the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. They only let us stay inside for 15 minutes at a time, and you got out and stripped down and you were just drenched in sweat. They'd make you drink a specific amount of water before you could work again. It was hell.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:54 PM 06-16-2018
Working in the heat is one thing. Trying to sleep in it - that's a different animal.

When I was stationed at Great Lakes, the staff barracks I lived in didn't have air conditioning. The rooms had one window, and there was no way to get any air flow. It was miserably hot during the summer of '88, and at night, the temperature in that room would be in the 90s. I had a fan on either side of my bed, but like George said earlier it just seemed to make the hot air hotter. It was horrible. And I was young and thin then, too. The shit would kill me now.

A couple of nights it was so bad that I slept in the backseat of my car in the parking lot with the A/C running.

As for today, it is absolutely vile outside. Just went out to check the mail, which will pretty much be the extent of my outdoor activity today. Fuck I hate summer. :-)
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:10 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
My ****ing corn is dying.

**** this bullshit ass ****ing weather. Less than 2 inches in 9 months.
Yeah, this drought out here is the worst. I've been here since 1998. It's fucking horrible!

Praying you get some rain Buehler.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 02:13 PM 06-16-2018
It’s 95 degrees here. Heat index of 108. I’m sweating like a whore in church.
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 02:15 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I understand it is hot every where. We hit 100 this week. The humidity has been in the 90% area to go along with the temps.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/92130:4:US :-)
[Reply]
srvy 02:16 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
Back during college, I worked summers at Johns Manville fiberglass insulation plant in McPherson, KS. It was 12hr shift work, which sucked. But the pay was incredible and I lived in my parent's basement at the time so I made tons of money for a college kid.

They would take glass balls about the size of a golf ball, and melt them in a giant oven and blow string sized threads of glass into a big 16 foot wide mat, which would then be cut into whichever insulation was being made. Every six months, we had to do what's called an oven cleanout. Where we had to get inside the ovens and scrape off the layer of baked insulation from the sides of the oven walls and ducts with a little pneumatic hand chisel. They couldn't completely shut down the entire oven, so it was still very hot. We had to get bundled up in what was basically a hazmat suit, and duct tape around our hands and feet, and wear a respirator and crawl inside this thing and chisel the walls. The worst was cleaning out the ducts that ran to the filtration units, because the ducts were about the dimensions of a coffin, and they'd shove you in and you'd be working with your arms out in front of you and you couldn't turn around. And they'd occasionally pull you out and make sure you were ok, and shove you back in by your feet. It was easily the most physically demanding thing I've ever done. They only let us stay inside for 15 minutes at a time, and you got out and stripped down and you were just drenched in sweat. They'd make you drink a specific amount of water before you could work again. It was hell.
Yikes sounds awful. The smell in those glass plants linger also plus at Owens Corning everything had the reddish die on it with glass strands stuck to it. You itched like hell till you got home and got a shower. Noise level was intolerable to. It screams where it shoots out those glass strands along with the constant cutter punch.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:20 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
In central IN (INDY) it's just now getting warm. 93 degrees Saturday and Sunday

Lots of rain this month but about 1/2 in May.
Grass is green, garden is coming on.
[Reply]
stevieray 02:20 PM 06-16-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:

:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up