ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which city downtown would you choose to live?
Manhattan 23 22.55%
San Francisco 16 15.69%
San Jose 2 1.96%
Portland 4 3.92%
Chicago 13 12.75%
Miami 9 8.82%
Different city downtown 31 30.39%
Where ever Gaz lives. 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>If money were no object, which major USA downtown would you pick to live?
Trivers 10:55 AM 06-10-2018
During the past three months, I've traveled to Manhattan, San Francisco, San Jose, Portland, Chicago, and Miami for biz/personal trips.

I've stayed in mid-priced hotels. (Actually, non were cheap as in staying at a Best Western in the 'burbs. :-) )

Observations:
Manhatten: Used to love to go here. Now I find it crowded, dirty, and people are rude on the streets, but normal once inside. Least value per sq ft of hotel space of all the cities.
San Fran: Love the Wharf. Expensive, a homeless problem, past its prime?
Portland: Beautiful, had to fight off the homeless on every block as I walked. No sun the entire trip.
San Jose: Energy! Wonderful weather, expensive as hell. Traffic sucked.
Chicago: More I go, the more I fall in love. Clean, not crowded, people are friendly. Saw two panhandlers the entire weekend. Good hotel value.
Miami: Great food, the babes on South Beach were amazing eye candy. It would be too hot in summer. Condos expensive.

So if I had to move from middle of no-where Wisconsin where there are more cows that cars, I would pick downtown Chicago and try to find a condo overseeing a river or Lake Michigan.

What about you?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:31 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Otter:
Manhattan

So much to experience and the most beautiful woman on the planet in my opinion.

I think after a year I'd have to tap out. Well, either tap or I'd become fully ingrained in the culture and never leave. Prolly tap however.
You will burn out. Nightlife begins at 11 PM. Everybody rushes like they're going to miss something important. They never stop. Plus it's dirty.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:35 PM 06-10-2018
Somewhere along the Oregon coast near Cannon City beach area. In the country far enough away from the horrible infestation known as Portland. Nothing but mountains and the coast with some nice beaches in between. Oh and Tillamook ice cream factory.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:39 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Had a turtle walk into my shop today. :-)

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Pass on the big city, no thanks.
Whats so nice about Boston, is the city is smaller and more manageable although there's been so much more urban spread since I left. But things are close in New England, so you can leave on weekends for the country easily. Lot of folks I knew, and still know live in the city and have a country place in New Hampshire or Southern Maine. We summered partly in NH on a lake and then on the Cape though we lived in the burbs. When I lived in the city working, I would often go to NH on weekends. In winter you have the mountains if you like skiing. Then you still have access to beaches easily too.
Plus it has quaint looking and historic buildings.

These things are not a long drive from Boston, unlike the MidWest or West where a 4-5 hour drive is considered nothing but is long in New Englander.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:40 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Somewhere along the Oregon coast near Cannon City beach area. In the country far enough away from the horrible infestation known as Portland. Nothing but mountains and the coast with some nice beaches in between. Oh and Tillamook ice cream factory.
The coast of Oregon is gorgeous. Portland reminded me of parts of Boston—only smaller.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 10:41 PM 06-10-2018
I would live in downtown Tampa.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:41 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
I would live in downtown Tampa.
LOL
[Reply]
Over Yonder 11:25 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
The poll is about living in a downtown city and people say, the country! Well no shit most of us would pick that, but thats not the question! lol

Anyways, Probably San Diego. Place is just ****ing nice.
But he also said money was no object:-)

But to play by the rules, the only city on his list I have been to is Chicago. No thanks :-) As far as bigger cities, Dallas/Ft.Worth and Cleveland are the best ones I've been to, and even they suck :-)

Surprised by all the San Diego picks in this thread. Awesome weather, but the people suck. It is currently my least favorite "big city" I have visited. But as I get older and travel more, I'm sure I will stumble upon a bigger crap hole.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:47 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
But he also said money was no object:-)

But to play by the rules, the only city on his list I have been to is Chicago. No thanks :-) As far as bigger cities, Dallas/Ft.Worth and Cleveland are the best ones I've been to, and even they suck :-)

Surprised by all the San Diego picks in this thread. Awesome weather, but the people suck. It is currently my least favorite "big city" I have visited. But as I get older and travel more, I'm sure I will stumble upon a bigger crap hole.
Most people suck everywhere. Sometimes you get unlucky. To really know the true character of a cities people I would imagine you would have to live there for a while.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:58 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by canoworms:
Restoring cars seems interesting in concept, but in reality I hate changing my oil or replacing a water pump. So that seems like a better vicarious hobby than a real one. I've also dipped my toes into woodworking but I hate, hate, hate finishing work. I don't play golf. Fishing and hunting are pleasant enough and u did my share growing up, but I have not developed them as interests as an adult. I despise yard work and gardening.

Boating is fun, but I doubt I could make a life out of it being my main thing.

I still want to build a business based on computer technology -- and that would give me motivation to get out of bed every day. In my spare time I want to cook and walk and cycle and go to restaurants, museums, and bars -- things I like to do on vacation, but I would do them regularly in retirement.
It sounds like the big city is the place for you then. I wish you the best in attaining that dream.

For me the motivation to get out of bed each morning is that I am no longer working for someone else like I did for 50 years. Whatever I choose to do today is for us!

Bug painted a pretty picture, but actually there is a lot of work and upkeep that has to be a priority. I don't like hiring stuff done, nor can I afford it. It seems like every time I do, the workmanship comes up short.

About the only thing we have in common is cooking and I do it all in our house.

The other thing that is starting to rear it's ugly head is distance to medical care. In a few years we are going to probably need to downsize to a town and that will suck.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:05 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Whats so nice about Boston, is the city is smaller and more manageable although there's been so much more urban spread since I left. But things are close in New England, so you can leave on weekends for the country easily. Lot of folks I knew, and still know live in the city and have a country place in New Hampshire or Southern Maine. We summered partly in NH on a lake and then on the Cape though we lived in the burbs. When I lived in the city working, I would often go to NH on weekends. In winter you have the mountains if you like skiing. Then you still have access to beaches easily too.
Plus it has quaint looking and historic buildings.

These things are not a long drive from Boston, unlike the MidWest or West where a 4-5 hour drive is considered nothing but is long in New Englander.
I lived in RI for a couple years, spent a lot of time in Boston. For over 20 years did a trade show in Boston for a week that was usually in June.

Lots to love about Boston (food, culture, peoples accent) also lots to hate.

People have mentioned San Diego and I consider it the exact opposite of Boston. Boston has horrific weather and great food, San Diego has fantastic weather and horrific food.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:38 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Wait'll you see NYC's. Oi vey!
Been there done that. The last time I drove there was after a fairly severe storm, and the west side highway was partially flooded, which only added to the fun.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:09 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
You'll have to expand on that lobby intermission murder story one of these days. :-)
Like many of my stories, it was a long time ago. It was before being gay was as cool as it is now and the play was heavily weighted in the subject. Gene Barry in "la cage au folle."
I didn't see what happened, but was filled in by a couple of the other guys in our group. (11 of us sales guys were "rewarded" with a trip to NYC by Standard Motor Products)
Guess there was a gay lovers gun fight in the lobby that didn't end well.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:15 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Guess there was a gay lovers gun fight in the lobby that didn't end well.
Sounds like next years Tony winner.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:27 AM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'd never live downtown anywhere. That pretty well sums it up.
Me too. I need wider fields of view. Need to see down the road a mile or more. And be away from that many people.

Too many people in NY, LA.
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 07:35 AM 06-11-2018
None of the above.
I am quite happy with where I am. Close enough to go see the Ballet or the Shakespeare featival. If I really want to see a hobo pee in an alley I can do that too.
From my home I am within an hour of:
Elk, deer, antelope, bear, cougar hunting.
Skiing. Camping, hiking, etc.
World class snowmobiling, fly fishing, whitewater rafting/kayaking

For an outdoor guy it is heaven. Just enough city for theatre, restaurants etc. But I have shot 5 branch antler bull elk within 40 mins of downtown Boise. Where else could I do That? You all can keep NY, LA, SEA etc.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 15
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up