ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>SlingTV or YouTube TV?
Mama Hip Rockets 04:25 PM 03-27-2018
I'm tired of getting screwed over by cable and satellite companies, so I'm looking for cheaper options to watch the Royals this year.

Last year I had SlingTV. I enjoyed that, except for that it's always about 30 seconds behind live TV and tends to lag and crash once in a while.

I'm looking into YouTube TV. Does anybody have any experience using this to watch the Royals? Their channel lineup says they have "Fox Sports," but I'm not sure if that specifically includes FSKC (I live about 3 hours from KC). I also noticed they have DVR, which is a feature SlingTV did not have last I checked.

I'm also wondering if YouTube TV is actually live, or if it's delayed like Sling. It was frustrating because people would text me about a play 30 seconds before it happened on my screen. I eventually had to tell all my friends not to text me about live action cause I was always behind.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:18 PM 03-28-2018
Also, unlike Sling TV which wants you to buy a more expensive package to allow more than one user to watch TV at a time, YouTube says that its service will allow up to six people in the family to access the service and will allow up to three of them tune into the service simultaneously on the same account – a big advantage when you’re looking to replace cable and you have a big family.

The other thing we know about YouTube TV is its price: $35 a month. For comparison, that’s slightly more expensive than Sling TV’s basic $20-per-month package and a few dollars less than PlayStation Vue’s basic $39 package that includes local stations like CBS, NBC, etc…

Cut to the chase
What is YouTube TV? A live TV streaming service like Sling TV
When is it coming out? It's available right now!
How much will it cost? $35 per month, unless you get an add-on package
Where can you watch it? Anywhere in the 83 US markets where it's available

Cloud DVR, if you've never heard that term before, allows you to record your favorite shows as they air and save them, well, to the cloud so that you can watch them later. It’s TiVo, but everything’s online. YouTube TV promises unlimited storage for shows for up to nine months – a serious advantage over the competition which usually only offer 28 days of storage.

Much more here:
https://www.techradar.com/news/youtu...eaming-service
[Reply]
sedated 01:27 PM 03-28-2018
Personally, Sling works for me because I only use it for a few specific things and can keep the cost down by switching around. Getting 99% of the sports I need and movie channels for $30-50 isn't a bad deal.

In the summer and fall use Fox (for Royals), winter go to ESPN (for college hoops). Alternate the movie channels every month or so, when their selection gets stale. If need be, ditch the movie channels for the RedZone during football season.

Hulu and Netflix for everything else.
[Reply]
Fish 02:24 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by sedated:
A lot of that has changed over the last year or two.

The Fox package includes about 4 or 5 local FOX channels (beyond Fox Sports Midwest). Fox Sports KC is one of them, and I frequently see Cincinnati Reds and some other games too. While it's not nationwide, we aren't stuck with the "Midwest" (STL) version.

And Sling has DVR for $5/month.
I had Sling all last year. It didn't carry all the Royals games. Which was one of the main reasons I'm paying for any streaming at all. In addition, if you wanted both ESPN and FSN, you have to get both the orange and blue packages. Add in the DVR, and the price is now higher than Youtube TV. And I still didn't get NBC, which isn't reliably available on my OTA antenna either.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:28 PM 03-28-2018
YouTube TV.

And it’s not even close.
[Reply]
sedated 03:06 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
if you wanted both ESPN and FSN, you have to get both the orange and blue packages. Add in the DVR, and the price is now higher than Youtube TV.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a single reason to have ESPN when it isn't college basketball season. Sunday night baseball? Maybe 30 for 30, but those end up on Netflix eventually.

But yeah, it's all about what works for you. Sling just fits my personal needs, and I haven't tried YTTV to even comment on it.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:16 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by 11Chiefs:
Youtube TV. Most markets now are showing live local channels. Local channels will match where you location services are. I live in Spfld. Visited family in KC a couple weekends ago and the local channels (on phone) changed to match KC.

IMO the DVR is the best of all the streaming services. I have tried them all. Unlimited storage, saved for 9 months.

You can pause/resume live shows, skip commercials on recordings (unless it has be made available for on demand viewing).
I have Youtube TV and generally like it, but...

You can only watch a DVR game after the game is over. If it is the start of the second half, you can start watching it live or you have to wait until a few minutes after the game is over to watch from the start. The good news is that you can check and see if the DVR will work without getting any spoilers.

I use the DVR a lot using the Chrome browser on my desktop to skip commercials. Especially on ESPN channels, it will occasionally lock up when I try to skip forward. It is pretty easy to refresh the page and get back to where I was, but a minor annoyance. I have this on two difference computers but I haven't seen reports of other people having this problem.

As you slide the bar forward to skip commercials, you get a thumbnail preview of the video which makes it easier to see how far to go.
[Reply]
Fish 04:23 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
I have Youtube TV and generally like it, but...

You can only watch a DVR game after the game is over. If it is the start of the second half, you can start watching it live or you have to wait until a few minutes after the game is over to watch from the start. The good news is that you can check and see if the DVR will work without getting any spoilers.

I use the DVR a lot using the Chrome browser on my desktop to skip commercials. Especially on ESPN channels, it will occasionally lock up when I try to skip forward. It is pretty easy to refresh the page and get back to where I was, but a minor annoyance. I have this on two difference computers but I haven't seen reports of other people having this problem.

As you slide the bar forward to skip commercials, you get a thumbnail preview of the video which makes it easier to see how far to go.
I don't believe that is correct. I've never seen that before, and I've recorded tons of games. If you've clicked the "+" button to record the game before the game has aired, then you can absolutely start from the beginning, or anywhere you choose. I've done that countless times. If you click the record button while the game is already in progress, you'll likely see the behavior you've described. But not if you set it to record before game time.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:00 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Also, unlike Sling TV which wants you to buy a more expensive package to allow more than one user to watch TV at a time, YouTube says that its service will allow up to six people in the family to access the service and will allow up to three of them tune into the service simultaneously on the same account – a big advantage when you’re looking to replace cable and you have a big family.

The other thing we know about YouTube TV is its price: $35 a month. For comparison, that’s slightly more expensive than Sling TV’s basic $20-per-month package and a few dollars less than PlayStation Vue’s basic $39 package that includes local stations like CBS, NBC, etc…

Cut to the chase
What is YouTube TV? A live TV streaming service like Sling TV
When is it coming out? It's available right now!
How much will it cost? $35 per month, unless you get an add-on package
Where can you watch it? Anywhere in the 83 US markets where it's available

Cloud DVR, if you've never heard that term before, allows you to record your favorite shows as they air and save them, well, to the cloud so that you can watch them later. It’s TiVo, but everything’s online. YouTube TV promises unlimited storage for shows for up to nine months – a serious advantage over the competition which usually only offer 28 days of storage.

Much more here:
https://www.techradar.com/news/youtu...eaming-service
That article's a bit out of date, so a few minor quibbles just for the record:

-YouTube TV is $40/month these days
-You can watch up to 3 streams simultaneously on Sling if you're on Blue, but it's restricted to 1 stream on Orange.
-Sling's DVR costs $5/month for 50 hours, but there's no time restriction for how long you can keep them. You can't use it on all the ESPN channels, though - not sure if that's the case of YouTube TV or not.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:49 PM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That article's a bit out of date, so a few minor quibbles just for the record:

-YouTube TV is $40/month these days
-You can watch up to 3 streams simultaneously on Sling if you're on Blue, but it's restricted to 1 stream on Orange.
-Sling's DVR costs $5/month for 50 hours, but there's no time restriction for how long you can keep them. You can't use it on all the ESPN channels, though - not sure if that's the case of YouTube TV or not.
Thanks Face. I saw it was posted 2 days ago so assumed it was current. Apologies to all.
[Reply]
TRR 06:58 PM 03-28-2018
Absolutely LOVE Sling TV! Great lineup and no issues streaming. Really no other ‘live TV’ comparison on the market (DTV Now blows). And the 7 day free trial is a great way to see if you like it.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:05 PM 03-28-2018
I've used about all of them, except for YTtv.

Here's a list of the worthy ones:
Vue (their geological, billing systems are like shoving a rusty hot needle up your dickhole though)

Not worthy:
The rest
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:39 AM 03-29-2018
Caught this yesterday, it got a chuckle outta me... 'what are you doing?'

[Reply]
11Chiefs 07:41 AM 03-29-2018
YouTube TV Navigation:
Three main sections across the top of the screen and a search icon
Section 1: Library - all your recorded content
Section 2: Home - recommendation, resume shows you had started, on demand content
Section 3: Live - A channel guide you scroll through, customization to organize or remove channels from showing (on phone, not sure about other platforms)
Search is fairly robust, you can search sports teams, leagues, actors, shows, networks, even shows on local channels.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:36 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks Face. I saw it was posted 2 days ago so assumed it was current. Apologies to all.
I suspect it's one of those sites that's constantly updating minor things in their articles and the date is from whatever most recent update there has been (regardless of the fact that they didn't actually dig into all of the facts recently).
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:32 AM 03-29-2018
https://www.setvnow.com

has anyone tried this?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up