ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>SlingTV or YouTube TV?
Mama Hip Rockets 04:25 PM 03-27-2018
I'm tired of getting screwed over by cable and satellite companies, so I'm looking for cheaper options to watch the Royals this year.

Last year I had SlingTV. I enjoyed that, except for that it's always about 30 seconds behind live TV and tends to lag and crash once in a while.

I'm looking into YouTube TV. Does anybody have any experience using this to watch the Royals? Their channel lineup says they have "Fox Sports," but I'm not sure if that specifically includes FSKC (I live about 3 hours from KC). I also noticed they have DVR, which is a feature SlingTV did not have last I checked.

I'm also wondering if YouTube TV is actually live, or if it's delayed like Sling. It was frustrating because people would text me about a play 30 seconds before it happened on my screen. I eventually had to tell all my friends not to text me about live action cause I was always behind.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:49 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Sling TV was trash for me. Constantly buffering. I will gladly pay extra for YouTube TV
Must depend on the setup. I've had it for 3 years now, and it's great. For half the price of YouTube TV, it works for me.
[Reply]
Fish 05:55 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
You conveniently left off the price. :-)
No, I didn't. I was paying the exact same price to get everything I wanted to see on Sling. Blue and Orange packages together is $35. One or the other was not sufficient for me. And even with both, I still couldn't get the regular NBC channel. Or all Royals games because the Fox Sports channel wasn't the KC based one. No DVR was a huge difference too.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:57 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
No, I didn't. I was paying the exact same price to get everything I wanted to see on Sling. Blue and Orange packages together is $35. One or the other was not sufficient for me. And even with both, I still couldn't get the regular NBC channel. Or all Royals games because the Fox Sports channel wasn't the KC based one. No DVR was a huge difference too.
Yeah, I'm grandfathered in to the DVR for free, so I'm a little biased in that regard. And as you say, it just depends on what channels you watch. The $20/month Orange package takes care of everything I ever watch.
[Reply]
srvy 06:03 PM 03-27-2018
The navigation. The previews. The unlimited DVR. The channel selection. The video quality. The performance reliability. All was better than Sling TV.
Not to mention slingTV the layout is a abortion. Navigating to find anything is such a pain. I dont know about Youtube I might do the trial.
[Reply]
carcosa 08:14 PM 03-27-2018
Do these streaming services provide local channels based on billing address or physical location?
[Reply]
Fish 09:06 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Do these streaming services provide local channels based on billing address or physical location?
Based on billing location. But it will also use location services too, and there is supposedly some content that will say unavailable if you're playing from outside the actual location. You can easily turn location services off to prevent that. I've never seen the unavailable content when away from KC, but one of my "Family" members has.
[Reply]
carcosa 09:20 PM 03-27-2018
Based on billing location. But it will also use location services too, and there is supposedly some content that will say unavailable if you're playing from outside the actual location. You can easily turn location services off to prevent that. I've never seen the unavailable content when away from KC, but one of my "Family" members has.
Hmmmmmm. Seems like a potential workaround to avoid needing sunday ticket (if you know somebody in the area and have them bill it under their name)???
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:28 PM 03-27-2018
how much does each cost? Major pros and cons? ...been thinking of making a switch myself...paying $150/month cable.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 09:36 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
how much does each cost? Major pros and cons? ...been thinking of making a switch myself...paying $150/month cable.
YouTube TV is $40/mo. Sling has different packages that are $20, $25, or $40, depending on which channels you get.
[Reply]
Fish 09:38 PM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Hmmmmmm. Seems like a potential workaround to avoid needing sunday ticket (if you know somebody in the area and have them bill it under their name)???
Yeah, absolutely. For local sports it kicks ass. You're guaranteed every Chiefs/Royals/Jayhawks/Wildcats/Blues/Some Mizzou games. You just add the team itself to the DVR system, and it will auto record every time it's on TV, which covers every potential channel it could be on. As well as any other sporting event that is televised locally. I used to pay $40 for NFL Rewind. But now I get that plus everything else I want to watch in Youtube TV. Also slowly building a movie library of movies I like, that can be watched any time.
[Reply]
carcosa 12:25 AM 03-28-2018
Yeah, absolutely. For local sports it kicks ass. You're guaranteed every Chiefs/Royals/Jayhawks/Wildcats/Blues/Some Mizzou games. You just add the team itself to the DVR system, and it will auto record every time it's on TV, which covers every potential channel it could be on. As well as any other sporting event that is televised locally. I used to pay $40 for NFL Rewind. But now I get that plus everything else I want to watch in Youtube TV. Also slowly building a movie library of movies I like, that can be watched any time.
HmmmMMMMM inteERerStingINg
[Reply]
11Chiefs 07:38 AM 03-28-2018
Youtube TV. Most markets now are showing live local channels. Local channels will match where you location services are. I live in Spfld. Visited family in KC a couple weekends ago and the local channels (on phone) changed to match KC.

IMO the DVR is the best of all the streaming services. I have tried them all. Unlimited storage, saved for 9 months.

You can pause/resume live shows, skip commercials on recordings (unless it has be made available for on demand viewing).

You have six google accts tied to one Youtube TV acct. They allow 3 active streams at one time. My brother and I share the cost. TV for 17.50... yeah!

Edit...
You can also set DVR for a specific teams, or some "leagues" (i.e. PGA, UFC, NHRA, NASCAR, etc). It will record all "games" for that team or league.
[Reply]
redfan 03-28-2018, 09:26 AM
This message has been deleted by redfan. Reason: Q was answered in post above
God of Thunder 12:23 PM 03-28-2018
Go get yourself an Amazon Firestick. Load KODI on it - pay $10 for 90 days of Real Debrid and you should be good. I've been using it for years and stream sports, live TV, first run movies, and every nearly every show to ever exist. No buffering. Can pause. NO DVR, but works for me.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:09 PM 03-28-2018
Another streaming option that I found a few weeks ago is Directv Now. It looked better than Sling to me, but I haven't tried it out as of yet.

I gotta say, though, that YoutubeTV looks really good. I may have to try that once my Directv contract expires.
[Reply]
sedated 01:14 PM 03-28-2018
Or all Royals games because the Fox Sports channel wasn't the KC based one. No DVR was a huge difference too.
A lot of that has changed over the last year or two.

The Fox package includes about 4 or 5 local FOX channels (beyond Fox Sports Midwest). Fox Sports KC is one of them, and I frequently see Cincinnati Reds and some other games too. While it's not nationwide, we aren't stuck with the "Midwest" (STL) version.

And Sling has DVR for $5/month.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up