ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 63
« First < 3434950515253 54555657 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Story: Han Solo Movie 2018 Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 04:17 PM 10-21-2016
http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-...and-alone-film

Donald Glover is officially a young Lando Calrissian!

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 07:37 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
I'll disagree with your final paragraph. What happened, what continues to happen is actually the reverse. I love that he's speaking out against these idiots and standing up for his cast and crew. We need more people like him doing the same. He isn't attacking "people who don't like his movies" he's attacking people who are attacking him, the actors, other fans, and behaving reprehencibly. The people he's talking to are shitty people.

And obviously, there is a political motivation to it. Just look at this thread alone. It's rampant. The bullshit political bend that the opposition is insistent upon is a large part of why we're even having this conversation.

Obviously, there are plenty of people who don't like the movie for totally valid reasons. He's not calling out and/or attacking those people. No one at Disney/Lucasfilm is. Art is subjective. I like some things you hate and visa versa, I'm sure. People won't ever 100% agree on anything artistic because it can't be done. I respect people's opinions when they are well informed and well articulated. I don't respect bullying Kelly Marie Tran or Daisy Ridley or John Boyega.

As you said, taking risks doesn't automatically make something good. I agree with that completely. I happen to think TLJ is really ****ing good. It's my second favorite Star Wars film, so far. Part of what I like about it is that it took risks. But it's not a perfect film. It's flawed, like all the Star Wars movies. It swings and misses, just like all the Star Wars movies. But I have difficulting seeing what so many others see, that the film somehow shit all over Star Wars and betrayed fans. That I have a hard to with. I just don't see that at all. To me, The Last Jedi is inherently Star Wars.

I'm sure if Rian is able to make his movies, many won't watch them. But many will. I, for one, am really looking forward to those films and I'll be disappointed if they don't get made. These movies are never going to please everyone. And that's okay. There's plenty of room in Star Wars for everyone. You'll like some of it, you won't like some of it.

But rooting for it fail, bullying actors off of social media, hurling toxicity at each other, bragging about how poorly a movie performs and generally taking joy in ripping joy away from others is awful, disgusting behavior. I'm not accusing you personally of any of that, but you can't deny it's out there. Other posters have literally said as much in this and other Star Wars threads. And I can't wrap my head around that.

These are a bunch of cheesy, campy, pulpy space opera stories that go "pew pew" and maybe make us smile from time to time. It's just not worth the vitriol and ugliness.

Movies are a business. I get that. And Lucasfilm wants people to want to see their movies, to make as much money as possible. I also get that. And I understand how naive it sounds... but I truly believe these artists don't own fans anything. I'm sorry, they just don't. The artists involved have every right to make their movie, their way, without being held hostage by a fanbase that's never going to agree on anything anyway.

Old fans will fall away. New fans will join the ranks. That's how this is going to go. If Disney doesn't understand that, if they plan on "negotiating with terrorists" (so to speak) then the franchise will be life-less and meaningless in a few years.
Sorry, but in the original trilogy Princess Leia was a great female character because of her actions and smarts, not because she was a woman. Rey was an interesting character in TFA, but was completely wasted in TLJ. All her Mary Sue traits would have been addressed in JJ’s version of TLJ, but Rian destroyed to throw that (along with almost everything else from TFA) out the window.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:45 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
And it's the evil customers at fault again.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#56689b1a3b10

Kennedy, naturally, must be defended

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#32f38bb3723c
They are essentially turning the franchise into a political election where you vote with your pocket book. Stupid.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 08:19 PM 06-11-2018
It's like an episode of Black Mirror.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:52 PM 06-11-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
It's one of the worst bits of casting I've ever seen.

She's a short, average-looking, kinda chubby girl.

So cast her in an adventurous role with a side of romance! Ignore the fact that she isn't fit or good looking.

Her acting wasn't anything to write home about either.

****ing stupid, and her ethnicity doesn't enter into it. You never saw people complaining about Lucy Liu.
Oh, I agree that her casting was incorrect but that is no reason for fans to trash her social media accounts. It just plays into their hands that the detractors are all the buzzword monikers they have called them.

Rose is easily my least favorite Star Wars character. Her arc was hypocritical and absurd. And she ruined Finn's character. When she halted Finn's heroic sacrifice, I just about lost it. Utter stupidity.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:45 AM 06-12-2018
Under $16 million domestic gross this weekend. Financially, this movie's dead. With the competition coming up, and it being $24 million short of $200 million right now, it's going fall far short of Rogue One's billion dollar total and $532 million domestic. Barring one hell of a comeback, it's not even going to clear $400 million total. So, it's shaping up to be
  1. More than a $700 million drop from TFA to TLJ
  2. More than a $600 million drop from Rogue One to Solo
  3. More than a $1.3 billion drop over the course of two movies

If that doesn't have Disney thinking of cutting Kennedy loose and bringing in someone else to right the ship, in the hope that it's not already too late, then Iger has lost his mind.
[Reply]
notorious 06:42 AM 06-12-2018
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Oh, I agree that her casting was incorrect but that is no reason for fans to trash her social media accounts. It just plays into their hands that the detractors are all the buzzword monikers they have call

Rose is easily my least favorite Star Wars character. Her arc was hypocritical and absurd. And she ruined Finn's character. When she halted Finn's heroic sacrifice, I just about lost it. Utter stupidity.
But.....love.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:13 AM 06-12-2018
Basically, every main male character, other than Chewbacca, in Last Jedi is portrayed as a bumbling clown.

Luke is failed, cranky quitter.

Finn is a coward and a moron.

Poe is a hot-headed mindless fool.

Kylo is still a weepy, emo Anakin. (God I hate his character - worst villain since Nero in the first JarJar Abrams Star Trek.)

But thank God the ladies are in the house to set them straight, amiright?!

:-)
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:48 PM 06-12-2018
Hey, look, more bashing of the consumers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpG1iC737c
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:33 PM 06-12-2018
Originally Posted by notorious:
But.....love.
Oh yeah. Rose was clearly included to stop the Rey/Finn movement from VII because Rey/Kylo is the endgame.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:40 PM 06-17-2018
Say what you want about Disney, but George would have put Star Wars into an early grave.

As far as I've seen, these are the first specifics George Lucas has shared about what his vision of Episodes 7-9 would have been. This comes from @insighteditions awesome companion book to "James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction series" on AMC: pic.twitter.com/Wtlw8zlrqv

— Livio Ramondelli (@LivioRamondelli) June 12, 2018

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 02:55 PM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Say what you want about Disney, but George would have put Star Wars into an early grave.

Disney’s two biggest mistakes were not mapping out the trilogy to be a three-film story arc and hiring Rian Johnson. Those two decisions kneecapped the franchise. At some point the Rian Johnson apologists will realize it was his terrible ideas and horrible story-telling that doomed TLJ, not some misplaced excuse for why he made those terrible ideas and horrible story-telling.
[Reply]
Setsuna 03:15 PM 06-17-2018
SJWs ruin everything they touch :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Setsuna 03:16 PM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Oh yeah. Rose was clearly included to stop the Rey/Finn movement from VII because Rey/Kylo is the endgame.
You would think they would want to celebrate an interracial pairing considering the diversity is good shtick they've been pushing. Oh well. Maybe Rian got cucked by a black man and wasn't having any of it.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 07:02 PM 06-20-2018
Originally Posted by :
Exclusive: Future ‘A Star Wars Story’ Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm
Originally Posted by :
It may be a while before we see any more movies like Solo: A Star Wars Story out of Lucasfilm. Sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that Lucasfilm has decided to put plans for more A Star Wars Story spinoff movies on hold, instead opting to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and what the next trilogy of Star Wars films will be after that film. Sources tell us that the previously rumored Obi-Wan movie was in active development, but those who were working on the film are no longer involved. It was recently reported that Logan filmmaker James Mangold was in early talks to write and direct the Boba Fett film, but that was before Solo’s release.
http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:29 PM 06-20-2018
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/
Smart move really. Focus on trying to fix Johnson's fuck up before losing a shit ton on other films. Not sure if the genie can be put back in the bottle but this is their best shot.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 63
« First < 3434950515253 54555657 > Last »
Up