ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 63
< 12345 67891555 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Story: Han Solo Movie 2018 Spoiler Thread
DaneMcCloud 04:17 PM 10-21-2016
http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-...and-alone-film

Donald Glover is officially a young Lando Calrissian!

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:03 PM 06-20-2017
James Gunn would be the perfect fit for this film but he's too busy and would likely want more creative input, considering the script has already been written and the film cast.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:30 PM 06-20-2017
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-fired-1015474

Wow, the Hollywood Reporter is saying that Joe Johnston (duh) and in a shock, Ron Howard.

When was the last time Ron Howard made a good film? Da Vinci Code in 2006?

I wonder if they recast Han Solo?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:32 PM 06-20-2017
This film looks like it's going to be refried ass.

PROVE ME WRONG, RON.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:35 PM 06-20-2017
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
This film looks like it's going to be refried ass.

PROVE ME WRONG, RON.
Well, it was written by Lawrence Kasdan, who knows Han as well as anyone, but they definitely need to find the right director.

Everything that I'd heard since the shooting began was that it had a "weird tone", which is fine if you're Son of Zorn but not fine if you're Han Solo.

For what it's worth, I've watched two films starring Alden Ehrenreich recently and he seems to be more of a "weird tone" guy than a leading man type.

Definitely NOT Harrison Ford.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 01:24 AM 06-21-2017
This was a bad idea to begin with. I'm not surprised there have been issues.
Nobody likes prequels, especially when there about characters we watched die.

Rogue One was a success because it was an untold story with new characters. There is a whole universe to explore, yet, Kathleen & Co. thinks it's a good idea to rehash old dead characters.

I'm not looking forward to this movie and I believe that this approach will be the downfall of the franchise. Han Solo, then Obi Wan, then Yoda, then Wicket, then Jar Jar who gives a shit about their stories? I don't. I'd like them to push the boundaries.

Do a movie about some obscure war. Why did it happen? Who were the major players? (, BTW- this is where general grievous came from...). There are so many possibilities yet Kathleen and Co. are set to limit themselves with a prequel approach. That didn't work out too well when Lucas did it. I'd imagine the same approach wouldn't work well for Disney either.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:22 AM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Wow, the Hollywood Reporter is saying that Joe Johnston (duh) and in a shock, Ron Howard.

Yea, joe Johnston was a name I immediately thought of because he has a history with Star Wars and he's basically a loyal soldier who won't cause problems

Ron Howard I used to love until all the Davinci Code movies

Actually 'Rush' was a pretty good movie but nobody saw it
[Reply]
sully1983 08:44 AM 06-21-2017

Ron Howard directed the very good racing film Rush in 2013. He's still got it.

But seriously fuck this film and Disney for that matter. It seems like they don't allow their directors that much creative freedom. One of the reasons why I looking forward to it was because of the director(s). Now? Not so much.

Reminds me of when Edgar Wright dropped out of directing Ant Man due to "creative differences" .
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:46 AM 06-21-2017
If it was because somebody high up didn't like what they were seeing in dailies wouldn't this have happened weeks or even months ago. Filming has been going on since late February and there's only something like four weeks left on the original shooting schedule. The whole thing is really weird. I doubt it has any impact on or is because of Ehrenreic or anybody else in the cast. Variety makes it out as a personal conflict between them and Kennedy and Kasdan.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:37 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Reminds me of when Edgar Wright dropped out of directing Ant Man due to "creative differences" .
This is a very different situation because Edgar Wright worked on Ant Man for eight years. Paul Rudd, Marvel and Disney didn't like his "take", so Rudd re-wrote it a few times, then rewrote it again with Adam McKay.

This film was written quite a while ago by Jake and Lawrence Kasdan. Kasdan certainly had a vision for the film, as did KK, but the confusing thing is the hire of Miller & Lord.

21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, Son of Zorn, Last Man on Earth, etc. and so on really don't line up with Han Solo. They're talented guys but it always seemed like a weird pairing.

Anyway, the great thing is that KK isn't afraid to admit mistakes and will hire and fire at will. Josh Trank ate himself and was quickly dismissed. Tony Gilroy brought in a much needed sense of danger with his reshoots and rewrites to Rogue One.

Hopefully, they figure this out as well and it works. But I'm not so sure about Ron Howard because he seems a little "soft". And man, was his last film, Inferno, a disaster. The book wasn't amazing or anything but it was certainly better than the film.

Blech.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:40 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
If it was because somebody high up didn't like what they were seeing in dailies wouldn't this have happened weeks or even months ago.
I'm not so sure about that. Look no further than Rogue One. They had dailies and a clear rough edit presented to the Disney board, then swift and fairly huge changes were made six months before the opening. The score wasn't composed until the month of November 2016, which was right up against the hard release date.

Sometimes in filmmaking, the film leads you somewhere that you didn't expect, which can be great or really freakin' bad.

At least Lucasfilm isn't making the mistake that Marvel did of putting out crap, even when every one knew is was crap (like Iron Man 2).
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:43 PM 06-21-2017

[Reply]
noa 10:07 PM 06-21-2017
For what it's worth, I've watched two films starring Alden Ehrenreich recently and he seems to be more of a "weird tone" guy than a leading man type.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I do think he was a part of one of the best movie scenes of the past few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGpsXuMvApo
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:09 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by noa:
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I do think he was a part of one of the best movie scenes of the past few year
I didn't find his accent or naïveté to be honest, true and convincing.

I felt the same way about the other film I watched, in which he had a Southern accent.

Maybe it's the roles he's been offered to this point but it's hard to envision him as Han at this point, at least for me.

I've not seen the cocky bravado.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:34 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea, joe Johnston was a name I immediately thought of because he has a history with Star Wars and he's basically a loyal soldier who won't cause problems

Ron Howard I used to love until all the Davinci Code movies

Actually 'Rush' was a pretty good movie but nobody saw it
I saw Rush. It was very good.

OK. To make sure I haven't got shit mixed up, they have not yet recast Han, right?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:51 PM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I saw Rush. It was very good.

OK. To make sure I haven't got shit mixed up, they have not yet recast Han, right?
Man, if they recast Han, I'm not even sure if they'd announce it, but it would definitely be leaked.

I think May 2018 is a pipe dream.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 63
< 12345 67891555 > Last »
Up