ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 313 of 386
« First < 213263303309310311312313 314315316317323363 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
listopencil 08:06 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by smith11:
us bomed hiroshima too

Japan didn't surrender until after the second bomb was dropped.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:08 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Is it just me or is it weird that bran just has been chilling all season? Like is that it for him? #GOT
— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) May 13, 2019

Our football Savior is right. Bran has to warg into a dragon. Danerys, something along those lines. It's the only way to remove the Dragon, unsullied, dorthraki from threatening the people ever again in the future whats next in Westeros that we will never see. It's the only plot twist left to tie this all up in one episode.

That said, I expect more deaths of major characters including Jon to make that possible future happen.

Bran will warg into Dany and force her to masturbate until she 'releases the dragon' and turns back into Good Dany. Everyone's happy, strike up the music, roll credits.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:12 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Japan didn't surrender until after the second bomb was dropped.
The allied decision in WW2 to bomb Dresden (a civilian city not used for military or industrial production) until the air caught on fire (leading to the deaths of between 50,000-125,000 civilians) might be something close to what D&D had in mind in this episode. Wholesale destruction even by the "good guys" happens in war all the time. But, eh. I understand the argument that we watched Season 2 Walter White morph into Season 5 Walter White in the span of 2 episodes of Breaking Bad.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 08:13 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
And it was seeded when she ignored Barristan Selmy’s advice in Season 4 to not crucify the masters in Meereen.

She’s always had a little power-hungry sadist in her.
You're right. I forgot about that. Danaerys's heel turn has been foreshadowed for years. She's always been kept in check by her good advisers.

When you get right down to it, she's really not all that different from her brother.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:16 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Bran will warg into Dany and force her to masturbate until she 'releases the dragon' and turns back into Good Dany. Everyone's happy, strike up the music, roll credits.
Wellll it is HBO, we need some more sex all up in here.
[Reply]
otherstar 08:18 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
well, at least this makes sense now

It does, because now I think that it's ash falling and not snow.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:19 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
You're right. I forgot about that. Danaerys's heel turn has been foreshadowed for years. She's always been kept in check by her good advisers.

When you get right down to it, she's really not all that different from her brother.
AND she's been poisoned. What did that do to her mind when she didn't die?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:22 AM 05-13-2019
AND she's been poisoned. What did that do to her mind when she didn't die?
I thought Varys was trying to poison her, but she wouldn't eat or drink. Did he ever actually get anything into her system?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:22 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
The allied decision in WW2 to bomb Dresden (a civilian city not used for military or industrial production) until the air caught on fire (leading to the deaths of between 50,000-125,000 civilians) might be something close to what D&D had in mind in this episode. Wholesale destruction even by the "good guys" happens in war all the time. But, eh. I understand the argument that we watched Season 2 Walter White morph into Season 5 Walter White in the span of 2 episodes of Breaking Bad.
We were the "good guys" in WWII but we did some awful shit to innocent people on our way to winning the war. Happens in every major war. War is hell.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:25 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I thought Varys was trying to poison her, but she wouldn't eat or drink. Did he ever actually get anything into her system?
They are going so fast they don't show the poisoning, Bran and Tyrions conversation, Arya/Sansa reaction to R+L=J, who has Varys been writing to? etc. etc.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:28 AM 05-13-2019
They are going so fast they don't show the poisoning, Bran and Tyrions conversation, Arya/Sansa reaction to R+L=J, who has Varys been writing to? etc. etc.
Yeah, but we can get half an hour of women and children getting BBQ'd in King's Landing. :-)
[Reply]
otherstar 08:31 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by UK_Chief:
If dany wasn’t Mad Queen then she would have called off the attack and her and Jon would’ve lived happily ever after. Does that sound like GOT to you???

It’s been brewing for a while with Dany, stringing up the masters, torching people who defy/betray her. There has always been that side to her so yes it’s quite an easy path for the story line to take (Targaryen, mad king etc), however it’s been coming for a few series and the only realistic way they could get to the point of Jon Vs Dany show down. The only other way, which could have been interesting is if Jon suddenly got a lust for power after finding out he was the true heir leaving a Nice Dany Vs Power Mad Jon finale. That would have been less likely based on the characters history
Dany has always had the cold side to her, though, and it's not too far-fetched to see this coming. Think about it: Drogo pours melted gold onto her brother's head, and she show no emotions; she burns the witch on Drogo's pyre without emotion; she torches the master of the Unsullied with no emotion (granted it's in the "name of good," but the road to hell is paved with good intentions; she torches the temple in Vaes Dothraki with no emotion; and so on.

Yes, it seemed rushed this season and last (two 10 episode seasons would have given the writers more time), BUT Dany has always had this underlying madness that has been subtly glossed over until the last two seasons.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:31 AM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Yeah, but we can get half an hour of women and children getting BBQ'd in King's Landing. :-)
Devote timecode to Ep. 1 to Varys and Tyrion discussion Littlefinger's demise and making a decision to investigate the motives Bran and Arya?

Nah - let's do sum dick jokes instead!!!1!

"Brilliant" - D&D (Probably)
[Reply]
listopencil 08:36 AM 05-13-2019
In retrospect, did Dany just do what she had in mind the whole time anyway?

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:37 AM 05-13-2019
Man - episode 3 really soured some folks.

And to be fair, I hated episode 3 as well - hated it more and more as I thought on it. But episode 1 was fine. Episodes 2 and 4 I thought were quite good and this episode was the best of the season so far, IMO.

The Dany thing has been a long-time coming. And yeah, maybe that's more 'book insight' bleeding into show viewing, but Dany has always been an entitled, impulsive, violent trainwreck and a wholly unfit leader. I've said this for literally years - she's a spoiled tween with an air force when nobody else has one. She's narrow-minded and overly emotional. Her losing her shit and burning a bunch of stuff to the ground is easy to call and surely nobody would've argued with it had she torched the massed Lannister army and then burned down the red keep.

The only real curious event here is that she torched everything. But there are several historical analogues for it. And frankly, for all the shit B&W have (justifiably) taken for making character motivations non-existent, they did give you some insight here when they mentioned the contrast between Kings Landing and Mereen. When she was upset that they didn't rise up in support of her, she clearly put 'torch 'em all' on the table. The historical example that springs immediately to mind for me is the Armenian Genocide. The Ottomans decided that the Armenians didn't do enough to defend the region from the Christian invaders and if they weren't going to rise up against the enemy, then clearly they're no better than the enemy. The Turks then went on to effectively wholesale slaughter people who were ostensibly part of their own empire.

In the end I'm not sure Dany actively hoped to slaughter innocents - I think she simply didn't care much if she did, especially as she saw them as quasi-enemies anyway.

Apart from that, the Jaime/Tyrion meeting was fantastic. Euron v. Jaime was unnecessary but entertaining. Cleganebowl was everything we could've hoped it to be.

And in the end I think so much of this show has been demonstrating how little the rank and file care or benefit from these power struggles. They'll take peace under a bad ruler over a war to install a good ruler every time. Because in the end, the definition of a 'good' ruler is pretty damn fluid. I mean heck, in the recent history of Westoros it appears Robert Baratheon was actually pretty damn good at it by simply staying out of the way. And from a commoners perspective, Dany and her army is simply a foreign invasion. Which again makes what happened more 'to type'. Dany has no ties to King's Landing - she never knew the place. The Unsullied just see it as someplace else to conquer and the Dothraki just do what they do. Even the northmen are historically antagonistic towards anything south of the Riverlands (if they'll even tolerate that far).

I just don't understand the rage here. The soldiers acted as damn near every invading force in the history of warfare has acted (look at what the Germans did in Leningrad and the staggering barbarism from the Russians in Berlin that came about as a result). Most of the characters acted as you'd expect them to - even Jaime the Cersei Junkie.

This all comes down to just how much of Kings Landing Dany would've reasonably set ablaze. And I think the writers, over the course of several seasons and in her final conversation with Tyrion specifically, gave ample indication that she may just snap. When the Bells were ringing, it wasn't the bells that set her off. It was sitting there having wrecked creation but lost every person close to her on account of Cersei simply not capitulating when it was clearly the smart decision the first time they met, and thinking "wait...NOW you surrender? Get fucked with that shit!" It was petulant, frustrated rage from a person who'd demonstrated a pretty decent track record of being petulant and wrathful.

I just don't see the problem here. I thought the episode was very good :-)
[Reply]
Page 313 of 386
« First < 213263303309310311312313 314315316317323363 > Last »
Up