ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed
Shag 05:28 PM 10-15-2018
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ense-is-great/

Originally Posted by :
Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed. They’ve yielded 2,809 yards, or 468.2 per game, and are on pace for 7,491 yards allowed over the full season. That would smash the record set by the 2012 Saints, the only team in history to give up more than 7,000 yards. No team that’s allowed even 6,600 yards in a season has ever finished with a winning record.

[Reply]
kcxiv 05:30 PM 10-15-2018
Worst defense i have ever seen in my 35plus years watching football. they are just bad.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:31 PM 10-15-2018
Well, can't have Mahomes be the only one setting new records
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 05:32 PM 10-15-2018
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ense-is-great/

Originally Posted by :
The Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night in New England showed they have the second-most explosive offense in football. The most explosive one? Whomever they happen to be playing.

Through six games, the Chiefs are the worst defense ever measured in yards allowed. They’ve yielded 2,809 yards, or 468.2 per game, and are on pace for 7,491 yards allowed over the full season. That would smash the record set by the 2012 Saints, the only team in history to give up more than 7,000 yards. No team that’s allowed even 6,600 yards in a season has ever finished with a winning record.

For all their offensive firepower, the Chiefs have somehow gained nearly 300 fewer yards than opponents (2,511). They are more efficient in yards per play — but not by much. Their opponents’ 6.56 average gain is the seventh most through six games since the 1970 merger. But defenses in 2018 are struggling league-wide: Two clubs this year are actually worse in yards allowed per play than the Chiefs — the Buccaneers (who have played just five games) and the Raiders.

Yes, the Kansas City offense is so good that the Chiefs are still 5-1. They’ve already won two games this year when they gave up more than 500 yards, while every other team in the 500 Club since 2000 is 63-186-3. They have allowed at least five entire football fields worth of offense three times — putting them easily on pace to break the single-season record of five by the 1950 Colts. Only seven other teams ever gave up four 500-plus-yard games in a single season. Could any team that’s so seemingly helpless on defense overcome such profound weakness on that side of the ball? Or could their defense somehow improve?

The stomach-turning numbers from the Chiefs’ defense can partially be explained by their offense. Patrick Mahomes and company have routinely jumped out to big leads, outscoring opponents by a league-leading 46 points in the first quarter. That has made opposing offenses play with urgency and desperation — two qualities that will generate yardage quickly in the NFL.
The good news for Andy Reid and the Chiefs is that every team that appears on the list above eventually got better. On average, they allowed 81.72 percent of their yardage per game for the remainder of the season. If the Chiefs enjoy a similar regression, they would allow 382.6 yards per game, which through Sunday of Week 6 would rank 23nd. That’s like being The Steel Curtain compared with where they are.

Kansas City doesn’t have to look far for an example of how to rebound on defense. The Patriots last year had allowed 2,644 yards (440.7 per game) at the same stage of the season — good for fifth worst since 1940 at the time. They improved that to 321.2 for the rest of the year and coasted to the Super Bowl. (Granted, that’s when they reverted to their prior form and lost 41-33 to the Eagles despite posting 613 yards of offense and never punting. The Pats’ defense gave up 5384 total yards.)

Or maybe Kansas City doesn’t even need to improve on defense. Mahomes is a big play waiting to happen, and the Chiefs have firepower everywhere on the field — from the backfield with Kareem Hunt, to middle of the field where Travis Kelce roams, to far downfield where Tyreek Hill hauls in Mahomes’s rockets. Plus defense seems optional this year, with the league on a record pace since 1950 in points, yards, yards per play and yards per pass play — and even yards per rush has never been higher. In other words, in 2018, NFL teams generally can’t stop anyone or anything.

[Reply]
Simply Red 05:32 PM 10-15-2018
YES!!
[Reply]
Halfcan 05:33 PM 10-15-2018
It is going to be great when Sutton retires in 10 years. Maybe we will get a good coordinator then.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 05:36 PM 10-15-2018
Historic paces are hard to maintain. As the schedule eases up a bit, I do expect some regression to the mean (regression being a good thing in this case).

That bad part about that is it will likely show a sign of improvement that isn’t actually there, which may secure Bob Sutton’s job for next year. The defense will then get exposed again in the playoffs, but Andy/Veach will point to the improvement throughout the year as a sign that he isn’t part of the problem.

The good thing this year is that we have the QB with elite weapons. If nothing else, we’re at least prepared offensively to win shootouts as long as we can play with a lead.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 05:39 PM 10-15-2018
If you ain't first, you're last.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:40 PM 10-15-2018
The hell is going on today with the reposts? This will be the fourth time I've had to merge them together.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 05:41 PM 10-15-2018
Sutton is just old and awful but injuries are killing us. We haven't been 100% all year and it not going to get better anytime soon. Cincy is walking in here and let's not kid ourselves. They have a good offense that will put it on our defense.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 05:57 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The hell is going on today with the reposts? This will be the fourth time I've had to merge them together.
Maybe cause I was editing mine after I posted? I see he beat me by 4 minutes.
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 05:59 PM 10-15-2018
At least the Saints did the right thing and fired Spagnuolo after one year. Seems we’re stuck with Sutton unless the owner forces Reid’s hand. Reid Likes Sutton and Sutton has Brit Reid as d-line coach. So if Sutton goes the new coordinator would probably want his own position coaches and that demotes Britt back to water boy.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:15 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Is this statistically the worst set of posts ever?
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:16 PM 10-15-2018
/because chiefs
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:20 PM 10-15-2018
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
Worst defense i have ever seen in my 35plus years watching football. they are just bad.

Nearly 55 years for this guy. I agree, I’ve never seen anything quite like it. With a serviceable defense, this team would be unstoppable. As it stands, Reid’s only option (he isn’t going to send Sutton packing) is to try to simply outscore their opponent.

If he doesn’t can Sutton at the end of the season - I don’t know......
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up