ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>'Star Wars' Chief Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years
Tribal Warfare 04:20 PM 09-28-2018
'Star Wars' Chief Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years

After the box office disappointment of 'Solo: A Star Wars Story,' the studio plans to expand the universe with new characters introduced in movies and television shows.
Kathleen Kennedy has reignited her lightsaber. The lead producer and architect of the Star Wars franchise has renewed her contract to remain president of Lucasfilm for another three years, through 2021, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move is a vote of confidence in Kennedy, who took command of Lucasfilm after Disney’s $4 billion acquisition from George Lucas in 2012 and has overseen the relaunch of Star Wars, one of the most revered movie properties in cinematic history. Disney's four new Star Wars films have grossed almost $4.5 billion at the worldwide box office. Ancillary and merchandising have brought billions more into the studio's coffers.

But it hasn’t always been easy money. Kennedy has had to replace directors on two movies that were either in production or post-. Chris Lord and Phil Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story on June 20, 2017, less than a year before the film's release. Kennedy also effectively replaced Rogue One: A Star Wars Story director Gareth Edwards with helmer Tony Gilroy, though Edwards kept his directing credit. Last year, Colin Trevorrow, who was to have directed Star Wars: Episode IX, was fired and replaced with the series' Episode VII helmer, J.J. Abrams, a week later.

Kennedy’s position is one of the most visible, and her actions the most highly scrutinized, in Hollywood due to the immense popularity of Lucasfilm’s franchises, which also include Indiana Jones. So it's notable that her renewal follows this summer's Solo: A Star Wars Story, the first big-screen box office disappointment for the franchise, grossing "only" $392 million worldwide and leading analysts to estimate a loss for the film at $50 million to $80 million or more. (In contrast, 2017's The Last Jedi and 2016's Rogue One grossed $1 billion globally, and 2015's The Force Awakens topped $2 billion in receipts.)

Kennedy's deal extension also follows a polarizing reaction to Last Jedi — which sits at 91 percent fresh on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes but was flooded with unusually angry fan complaints on social media about key plot choices. The reaction to Last Jedi and Solo is resulting in a shift in studio strategy, with Disney making plans to slow the output of movies. "You can expect some slowdown," Disney CEO Bob Iger told THR in an interview published on Sept. 20, adding, "but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films."

The only Star Wars film currently underway is Episode IX, currently shooting in London, and due for release Dec. 20, 2019. Sources tell THR that Episode IX will be the last of the "chapter" installments, with Disney planning on touting it as a selling point in the promotion campaign for the film in the year leading up to its release. Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

Sources say that the near future of Star Wars lies in television with Kennedy-led Lucasfilm planning on expanding the universe with new characters in that medium. The shows at this stage include a live-action series run by Jon Favreau (which is currently casting) and the animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars, both of which will air on Disney’s untitled streaming service, which is set to launch in the second half of 2019. Meanwhile, another animated series, Star Wars Resistance, premieres this month on The Disney Channel.

Lucasfilm is also developing a new Indiana Jones movie, the fifth in a series starring Harrison Ford and directed by Spielberg, but that project recently saw its release date push from July 10, 2020, to July 9, 2021. Script issues were the cause.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:21 PM 10-01-2018
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Rose was the worst character in the history of cinema.

And Kylo Ren might be the worst villain in the history of cinema. Dude's a giant pussy. Gets his ass kicked by a chick half his size w/ zero lightsaber/jedi training, but we're supposed to take this new saga seriously?

He makes Hayden Christensen look like Charles Bronson.

Can't have one of the worst characters and ALSO one of the worst bad guys in cinema history and really expect anything out of the franchise that's worth a shit.
Perfect. :-)
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 05:45 PM 10-01-2018
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
Well looks like i'll be boycotting the next Star Wars film
I'll be joining you.

We can yell at each about politics. Something that I'm sure will be much more entertaining than the next movie.

Deal.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:39 PM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Seems like a good of place as any to ask this, there is a guy that does rants on youtube. I know he has done several on Star Wars and Kennedy in the past. He has long black hair with dark sunglasses and I think he talks with a bit of a lisp. Anyone know who I am talking about?

[Reply]
BigRichard 08:50 AM 10-03-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yeah, that is the guy... thanks!
[Reply]
Rausch 10:26 PM 10-07-2018
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
We can yell at each about politics. Something that I'm sure will be much more entertaining than the next movie.
Actually, that will be the next movie...
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 06:48 AM 10-08-2018
I will be attending because I just want to see how the hell they salvage anything from the Last Abortion.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:01 PM 10-08-2018
Make it stop. Make it stop.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up