ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 57
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:47 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
House is moved and on site. Setting piers this weekend. Still a lot of work to be done.
Off grid homesteading?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 01:25 PM 08-29-2017
Anybody have any strong feelings about dethatching?

I take care of a few lawns on the side and I usually just aerate and overseed. I don't really think dethatching is necessary unless it's really built up. Aerating kind of helps the thatch break down anyway.

Thinking of maybe using a slice seeder after aerating to kind of get work on thatch without actually dethatching.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 03:08 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Off grid homesteading?
I'm still going to have electric through the coop. I've got 2 friends who do solar installs that convinced me to wait. LP and a water well, though.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:13 PM 08-29-2017
Best yard care company in the KC area?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:13 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:

I take care of a few lawns on the side and I usually just aerate and overseed. I don't really think dethatching is necessary unless it's really built up. Aerating kind of helps the thatch break down anyway.

Thinking of maybe using a slice seeder after aerating to kind of get work on thatch without actually dethatching.
It's hugly awesome.. In fact, when I was better able to do so, we pulled the machine backwards and it pulled up about 5 times the thatch. Not easy, but we had 35 bags of thatch. The neighbor had 42. But the lawns, THE LAWNS... After adding aeration (THAT job done by the robotics team) and over-seeding, the lawn was fargin beautiful.

So yeah, try pulling it backwards for a strip, or two, and see how much more thatch it'll pull up..
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:15 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Not me goddamit! I do my own lawn care, and that's enough.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 07:24 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
It's hugly awesome.. In fact, when I was better able to do so, we pulled the machine backwards and it pulled up about 5 times the thatch. Not easy, but we had 35 bags of thatch. The neighbor had 42. But the lawns, THE LAWNS... After adding aeration (THAT job done by the robotics team) and over-seeding, the lawn was fargin beautiful.

So yeah, try pulling it backwards for a strip, or two, and see how much more thatch it'll pull up..
Are you referring to the thatcher or slit seeder? Some thatch is good and I only think one of the lawns I do possibly needs some removed. I just wonder if it's worth the hassle of renting both machines when aeration can in itself help with thatch.

The one time I dethatched it created a crazy amount to pick up.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:35 PM 08-29-2017
Are you referring to the thatcher or slit seeder? Some thatch is good and I only think one of the lawns I do possibly needs some removed. I just wonder if it's worth the hassle of renting both machines when aeration can in itself help with thatch.

The one time I dethatched it created a crazy amount to pick up.
Power rake. And pull it backwards.. Yes, it pulls up a crazy amount of thatch. And I bag pretty-much every time...

And it's well worth it. Verticutting and aeration just aren't power raking. They are important, but they just aren't the same thing. Perhaps power rake then verticut. Make a weekend of it.. if you pull it backwards for the whole lawn, then rake/bag, if you can get out of bed on Sunday you'll be good to go to verticut. You can take M-W off from the gym!
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 09:28 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Power rake. And pull it backwards.. Yes, it pulls up a crazy amount of thatch. And I bag pretty-much every time...

And it's well worth it. Verticutting and aeration just aren't power raking. They are important, but they just aren't the same thing. Perhaps power rake then verticut. Make a weekend of it.. if you pull it backwards for the whole lawn, then rake/bag, if you can get out of bed on Sunday you'll be good to go to verticut. You can take M-W off from the gym!
Yeah turning those things isn't fun after a while.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:29 PM 08-29-2017
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Anything owned by Jose or Pedro.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:29 PM 08-29-2017

[Reply]
Buehler445 09:47 PM 08-29-2017

What kind of grass? If it's Bermuda you need to donut.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:04 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
that is a classic. what is that vid now, 8 years old. love it to this day and reference it when possible. no one in australia knows what salvia is, in lawrence i smoked it three times :-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 09-03-2017, 04:52 PM
This message has been deleted by HemiEd.
HemiEd 05:12 PM 09-03-2017
Been a strange summer. All tomato plants got blight, hardly any leaves, sick ass looking plants. Made Salsa twice though.

Bell peppers and Jalepenos have been awesome.

Fig trees are amazing. We will have at least a couple hundred juicy figs.

Lettuce and kale made us grow tired of them.

How about yours? Did you let it go to weeds once it warmed up?:-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:15 PM 09-03-2017

I bought a dethatcher and aerator since I installed the mulching kit on the mower. That shit built up bad.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 57
« First < 101617181920 2122232430 > Last »
Up