ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Defense doesn't get worse in the 2nd half, but the OFFENSE sure does.
TinyEvel 01:59 AM 11-12-2019
I had a feeling that the Chiefs were allowing other teams to score big in the 2nd half, so I broke down Points For vs Points Against by half in each game.

Turns out the defense is allowing FEWER points in the 2nd half on average (total 121 allowed in the first half vs 118 in the second half)

It's the OFFENSE that loses its steam in the second half, by a huge margin (174 vs 110 points.)

We've gone into halftime tied in 3 out of 10 games. We've gone to halftime down only twice, and lost both those games (Houston and IND)

Discuss.

[Reply]
Megatron96 02:12 AM 11-12-2019
No one is going to put any blame on the offense, because that means putting some blame on Patrick Mahomes, and no one on this forum can be objective about Mahomes.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:13 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
No one is going to put any blame on the offense, because that means putting some blame on Patrick Mahomes, and no one on this forum can be objective about Mahomes.
No QB throws a perfect pass every time. In the case of the Titans game the recievers seemed to drop a TON of passes especially Watkins. I believe we had a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter against the tits? Have to not only be able to stop the opposing offense but also go for the throat something Reid has always lacked.
[Reply]
Bump 02:19 AM 11-12-2019
He's the best QB the league has ever seen and in order to win, he's required to lead a scoring drive for every single drive and that's just not probable and pretty much impossible. Nobody can be perfect all of the time.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:19 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
No QB throws a perfect pass every time. In the case of the Titans game the recievers seemed to drop a TON of passes especially Watkins. I believe we had a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter against the tits? Have to not only be able to stop the opposing offense but also go for the throat something Reid has always lacked.
Not Watkins. he had about the same drop rate as Hill. And Kelce for that matter.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:21 AM 11-12-2019
Not Watkins. he had about the same drop rate as Hill. And Kelce for that matter.
Well Hill had some close calls on throws and catches that were very difficult. I only remember the one bouncing off of his shoulder pads way up in the air as a real drop. Watkins for most of the game just seemed uninterested.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:33 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Bump:
He's the best QB the league has ever seen and in order to win, he's required to lead a scoring drive for every single drive and that's just not probable and pretty much impossible. Nobody can be perfect all of the time.
Yes, he is the best most talented QB, there's no question of that.

And I never said he has to be perfect. No such thing.

But let's be brutally honest. Did he over-throw Hill? Kelce? Watkins? Could at least one of those passes gone for a TD? Because if you say "yes," then we win that game, and we aren't having any of these conversations about the defense, the ST, the fumble, etc.

Pat Mahomes is human. And he was coming back after missing two games due to injury. And we had three offensive linemen go down to injury. And whatever else. But the fact remains that Mahomes did miss a few throws.

If you're going to blame the defense, Winchester, Damien, etc. then at least be honest. Mahomes also missed a couple plays.

Otherwise, you're just being obtuse.
[Reply]
Mahomesmyman 03:21 AM 11-12-2019
Everybody misses throws. If 446 yards & 3td isn't enough there is something really ****ed up with that team.

Just like Chiefs who are 1 man team.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:39 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Mahomesmyman:
Everybody misses throws. If 446 yards & 3td isn't enough there is something really ****ed up with that team.

Just like Chiefs who are 1 man team.
See? We aren’t going to be able to look at the offense/Andy objectively, because of our love affair with Mahomes. I’m just as culpable as anyone, btw. But the fact remains that last year if the chiefs had 7 or 8 scoring drives, statistically we would expect at least 4 or 5 TDs, not a measly 3. And if Mahomes hadn’t happened overthrown Hill in the first half, that’s what we’d have gotten. 4 TDs, 3 or 4 FGs, we win.

Bottom line, Sunday we weren’t efficient enough on offense. We were last year, but not so much this year.

And Im not saying that Mahomes is solely to blame. We had 3 offensive linemen go down, it was Pat’s 1st game back, etc. but facts are facts.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:40 AM 11-12-2019
I think we get a lead and Andy Reid backs off in the 2nd half.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:46 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Well Hill had some close calls on throws and catches that were very difficult. I only remember the one bouncing off of his shoulder pads way up in the air as a real drop. Watkins for most of the game just seemed uninterested.
So bottom line, you like tyreek so he gets the benefit of the doubt, and you don’t like Sammy Watkins, so he doesn’t.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:08 AM 11-12-2019
I'd have to rewatch the game (ech...) but it is mind-blowing that we had as many yards and TOP and still only wound up with 3TD's. Yes, our man Pat missed a few, especially in the first half. Yes, he was rusty and is apparently human. But I get what you are saying and you're not wrong. This loss was a team loss period. If the offense does what they are BUILT to do, then the defense does not have to be world beaters, just sufficient, which they largely were in this game, by the eye test and some of the numbers.

The whole team lost and in the immortal words of Andy Reid..."That's on me...".

Yep Andy, it is.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:00 AM 11-12-2019
Keep in mind these stats are very very heavily skewed toward games where mahomes had a superhuman first half but then was clearly hobbling after reinjury for the second half. Jax, Hou, indy at the very least. I think that and Reid's tendency to pump the brakes in the second half like in Oakland and Baltimore. When we've needed mahomes to make big plays in the second half he's generally been very good this year. I don't think he's 100% where he can carry a team to score after score in the 4th but even at not 100% it's pretty damn close when he's asked to.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 07:02 AM 11-12-2019
Andy's desire to not run up the score!
[Reply]
tredadda 07:04 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I think we get a lead and Andy Reid backs off in the 2nd half.
^^^^^^ This all day long. Reid takes the foot off the gas in the second half of games if we are up.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up