ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Know a reliable plumber?
crayzkirk 05:00 PM 11-02-2019
Got an older home, built in 1965, with a basement washing machine hookup. The standpipe is galvanized steel going into a floor drain. It's mounted into the drain solidly. Started having problems with the pipe overflowing and I decided to take a look at it. The pipe is almost completely rusted away where it enters the drain.

I'm hopeful although not confident that the pipe can be replaced without having to tear up the concrete. Can't see if it screws into the drain opening. It looks like it just goes into the center of the drain.

Anyone have experienced this sort of thing?

Expecting the worst...
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:21 PM 11-12-2019
Well, it's out... I didn't think I did much with the sawzall blades as they all went dull on me. I think that was from cutting into the cast iron. The threads have some cuts in them however some pipe dope should take care of it. Wire brush and the 2" male threads into it. Just need to get the 1 1/2" brass clean out remnants and I should be good to put the new PVC in. I do need to dry out the trap and vacuum the metal that fell in. Maybe a magnet? Got a metal strap and concrete anchors to hold the PVC vertical.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration...
[Reply]
srvy 09:50 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Well, it's out... I didn't think I did much with the sawzall blades as they all went dull on me. I think that was from cutting into the cast iron. The threads have some cuts in them however some pipe dope should take care of it. Wire brush and the 2" male threads into it. Just need to get the 1 1/2" brass clean out remnants and I should be good to put the new PVC in. I do need to dry out the trap and vacuum the metal that fell in. Maybe a magnet? Got a metal strap and concrete anchors to hold the PVC vertical.

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration...
Good news. Stuff like this is so frustrating but rewarding with money left in the pocket at the end of the day.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up