ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Know a reliable plumber?
crayzkirk 05:00 PM 11-02-2019
Got an older home, built in 1965, with a basement washing machine hookup. The standpipe is galvanized steel going into a floor drain. It's mounted into the drain solidly. Started having problems with the pipe overflowing and I decided to take a look at it. The pipe is almost completely rusted away where it enters the drain.

I'm hopeful although not confident that the pipe can be replaced without having to tear up the concrete. Can't see if it screws into the drain opening. It looks like it just goes into the center of the drain.

Anyone have experienced this sort of thing?

Expecting the worst...
[Reply]
Yehoodi 06:37 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
It's not home made, this is how the house was built. The drain is there specifically for the washing machine and connects under the slab to a floor drain about six feet away.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.

I looked at a few videos about replacing a floor drain, looks like a job for someone with the tools and experience. Might not even have to replace the drain; again I don't have the knowledge of how to fix this thing.
Okay, lets hope it is an easy fix. I did do a little more looking.

You are very welcome.

The first I found what was basically check values to prevent the water/insects/odors backing up in the basement if the underground trap does not do it its job.

here is one.

https://kofflersales.com/p/green-dra...xoCJaYQAvD_BwE.

But you might be able to get away with something i found called a standpipe. Which basically goes into the old drain and is sealed inside the drain pipe.

Here are a few links. The rubber collar is placed inside the drain pipe and the screws are screwed and compresses the collar causing the rubber to explain and create the seal. Then one will just attach a threaded pipe to the collar.

http://old.drainbrain.com/specialties/floodguard.html

top of page 5 of this PDF

http://www.nridgeville.org/Downloads...event%20It.pdf

as these go inside pipes they will be smaller and may cause a choke point, but maybe not.

Hopefully the person you talk with will have an answer. Good luck.

Cheers.

EDIT: hopefully it is just clogged and you can still use the existing for the time being.
[Reply]
scho63 06:41 PM 11-02-2019
Bob Hamilton Plumbing, Heating and A/C......
[Reply]
T-post Tom 06:42 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Way overpriced.
[Reply]
srvy 06:48 PM 11-02-2019
This is pvc yours will be galv steel but same design. feel in the pan for a cleanout plug. If it there remove and feed hose there. It may be removed and you can snake the line then just feed extension hose to plug cleanout.

I doubt there is a back flow ball with the older houses.
[Reply]
gblowfish 07:00 PM 11-02-2019
Bob Hamilton Plumbing....
Made me kill my family....EVERBODY SING!!!
[Reply]
srvy 07:09 PM 11-02-2019
I have heard lots of bad things about bob hamilton plumbing. I dont know where you live but if it Northland KC I can recommend McGuire Plumbing or Greens Rod O Matic. I have used both and think highly. Kevin Green I grew up with his son is running the show now does good work. He does a lot of commercial also so that why I also mentioned McGuire if he is backlogged.
[Reply]
srvy 07:13 PM 11-02-2019
There used to be a few plumbers on CP maybe they will chime in. I think Floridachief is if memory serves.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 07:15 PM 11-02-2019
Remember the 913
[Reply]
Strongside 07:15 PM 11-02-2019
I’ve been known to lay some serious pipe.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 10:55 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Very good friends of mine run this company in Belton. They cover the entire KC Metro. Good people, honest.
https://www.morganmillerplumbing.com/
Thanks! I'll give them a call. I'm pretty sure the drain itself is cast iron. There is one by the washing machine and another between the garage bays.

Belton is fine with me, just don't recommend anyone from Grandview...
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:00 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Could you post a sweet ass video of you round house kicking through that mother fucker?
I'd probably need a new hip if I tried that...
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:06 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Its a floor drain..the trap may be clogged...i'd cut the pipe off about 4" from the floor drain and pour some draino in it and hopefully it will clear the trap..if it's clear just run a hose from the washer to the drain. . If it doesn't drain a small section of the floor can be taken out and the drain can be replaced....
Yeah, this is probably what's going to happen. I'm going to try to remove the standpipe (which is rusted away at the bottom) and see if I can clean up the threads enough to get a PVC threaded fitting in there and then add a three foot PVC standpipe for the washing machine.

It has a clean out plug so it might come out with a big enough pipe wrench.

It's had multiple bottles of various drain cleaners and an auger attempted to be run through it. It takes an abrupt turn so drain auger down the main pipe was a struggle.
[Reply]
scho63 03:44 AM 11-03-2019
That fucking Bob Hamilton commercial plays on 810 over 1000x's during the Program with Soren Petro.

I thought I was going to personally fly to KC to kill that guy one day. It's the only commercial that runs along with gravely voiced gangster Garozzo's and their fucking Chicken Spiedini!
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 08:07 AM 11-03-2019
Use unicorn pipe for repair.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 08:21 AM 11-03-2019
It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like your drain piping may just be shoved down the floor drain (not screwed in). If so, take a Sawzall and cut the pipe above the corroded area and it should come out. If it is screwed in, the only way to get it out without busting up the floor is to cut the pipe above the corroded area, break off what you can, take the sawzall and make some relief cuts and peel it out of the drain. Pipewrenches are useless on 50 year old corroded galvanized pipe.
Next, you'll want to make sure the floor drain isn't clogged by running some water through it. If it is, rod the line out. You can rent the machine at home depot. While you're there, buy a 2' piece of pvc and a fernco the size of your existing washer drain, should be 2", but could be 1 1/2". Once you're sure the floor drain is clear, cut the pvc to length and install using the Fernco.

Profit!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up