ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Know a reliable plumber?
crayzkirk 05:00 PM 11-02-2019
Got an older home, built in 1965, with a basement washing machine hookup. The standpipe is galvanized steel going into a floor drain. It's mounted into the drain solidly. Started having problems with the pipe overflowing and I decided to take a look at it. The pipe is almost completely rusted away where it enters the drain.

I'm hopeful although not confident that the pipe can be replaced without having to tear up the concrete. Can't see if it screws into the drain opening. It looks like it just goes into the center of the drain.

Anyone have experienced this sort of thing?

Expecting the worst...
[Reply]
threebag 05:40 PM 11-02-2019
Looks like this isn’t just something that has popped up
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:42 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
It will be threaded a heavy pipe wrench and pipe extension will probably break it loose.
The pipe is so badly rusted that I can break it off if I want to. And I'm not a typical CP guy so there isn't much left of it.
[Reply]
Yehoodi 05:46 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
This is what it looks like... I attached a picture to the post.
Oh dear there is some rush there . . .

I am not a plumber but here is an educated guess . . .

I am wondering if will unscrew from the floor. With the outer grey ring being a threading portion of the drain and is part of the drain pipes under the floor.

And the inner portion attached to the drainpipe from the washer can be unscrewed by grabbing the two triangular tabs. If one had a special wrench for it or placed a screw driver against the tab and hit it with a hammer in a counterclock direction.

If so then you would have a thread pipe can can accept the new drain and you could get pipes and adapter pipes to get it down to the size of the new drain pipe.

However before doing this, you might want to some internet search on these type of drain connections.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:46 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Looks like this isn’t just something that has popped up
It's hidden behind the washing machine in a poorly lit basement. I had to repair my washing machine and when I put the new pump in it, it started overflowing.

Nothing in a 55 year old home just pops up. I'm sure there's plenty of projects lurking.

I get roots in the main drain every few years and ended up buying one of those cheap china rooters. It's paid for itself.
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:49 PM 11-02-2019
The pipe is so badly rusted that I can break it off if I want to. And I'm not a typical CP guy so there isn't much left of it.
Could you post a sweet ass video of you round house kicking through that mother fucker?
[Reply]
Bowser 05:52 PM 11-02-2019
I CREATE the clogs, I don't FIX the clogs
[Reply]
Bowser 05:53 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I CREATE the clogs, I don't FIX the clogs
Oh, this isn't a poop thread. Apologies, carry on.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 05:54 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by Yehoodi:
Oh dear there is some rush there . . .

I am not a plumber but here is an educated guess . . .

I am wondering if will unscrew from the floor. With the outer grey ring being a threading portion of the drain and is part of the drain pipes under the floor.

And the inner portion attached to the drainpipe from the washer can be unscrewed by grabbing the two triangular tabs. If one had a special wrench for it or placed a screw driver against the tab and hit it with a hammer in a counterclock direction.

If so then you would have a thread pipe can can accept the new drain and you could get pipes and adapter pipes to get it down to the size of the new drain pipe.

However before doing this, you might want to some internet search on these type of drain connections.

Yeah, I noticed those tabs however there is a plug for a clean out on the front of the drain so I don't believe I can remove the drain.

I think it's time to call an expert...:-)

A quick search indicates that those tabs are for screws to hold a drain cover in place. I don't think it's going anywhere...
[Reply]
Yehoodi 06:04 PM 11-02-2019
Yeah, I noticed those tabs however there is a plug for a clean out on the front of the drain so I don't believe I can remove the drain.

Okay good luck . . . i did some research on the internet, that drain might be a permanent in the floor. The issue might be to how to get the new pipe in the old drain hole, maybe there is something on the web that might help. I will look a bit more.

Here are a few things I found that might help get an idea of the design of the drain, but not necessarily how to utilize the old drain with new piping.

a video of cleaning a drain (a good visual), you drain might be like this one, but not sure yet how to attach a new pipe to the old drain hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaB-WIjzBbs

some website with photos and stuff

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/p...connected.html

http://www.virm.net/basement-floor-d...-floor-drains/

http://www.virm.net/basement-floor-d...rains-diagram/
[Reply]
Yehoodi 06:07 PM 11-02-2019

A quick search indicates that those tabs are for screws to hold a drain cover in place. I don't think it's going anywhere...
Yes i think you are correct, that was likely an old floor drain and someone took off the grate cover (which attaches by two screws to the tabs your mentioned), and then just stuff the washer drain pipe down the drain hole.

Maybe a home made thing, i am guessing.

One hopes that one could get an adapter to either the top of the drain (when the old cover would go) or the hole at the bottom of the drain.

Maybe something that could be sealed to the top . .

I will take a few more moments and see if i can find anything :-)
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:16 PM 11-02-2019
It's not home made, this is how the house was built. The drain is there specifically for the washing machine and connects under the slab to a floor drain about six feet away.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it.

I looked at a few videos about replacing a floor drain, looks like a job for someone with the tools and experience. Might not even have to replace the drain; again I don't have the knowledge of how to fix this thing.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:19 PM 11-02-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
My home was build in 1956 I did this about 3 years ago. I did have to redress the threads because the were in bad shape. I know a lot of the older folks in the neighborhood just did away with the stand pipe alltogether and ran the washer drain hose direct with a extension and put a ped on wall to hang the drain hose above the water line. Some who couldnt break loose the stand pipe just chiseled a hole in the floor drain next to the pipe. I didnt like that idea but worked for them.
Yeah, I've thought of doing this as a stop gap, getting a wash basin and running it to the floor drain about five feet away. Don't like the idea at all.
[Reply]
gblowfish 06:21 PM 11-02-2019
Very good friends of mine run this company in Belton. They cover the entire KC Metro. Good people, honest.
https://www.morganmillerplumbing.com/
[Reply]
TribalElder 06:24 PM 11-02-2019

[Reply]
Kman34 06:24 PM 11-02-2019
Its a floor drain..the trap may be clogged...i'd cut the pipe off about 4" from the floor drain and pour some draino in it and hopefully it will clear the trap..if it's clear just run a hose from the washer to the drain. . If it doesn't drain a small section of the floor can be taken out and the drain can be replaced....
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up