ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 324
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:24 PM 01-24-2019
What about Zach Brown to fill a spot? Doesn't sound like he's long for Washington unless I missed something.
[Reply]
In58men 05:26 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I don’t get the crapping all over this selection. What did you expect? Reid likes working with coaches he knows. He needs to trust them. Misplaced trust sometimes but still it’s his decision. It may have been decided before they even fired Sutton.

We don’t need a top ten defense. We just need a middle of the pack defense. Spags should get us there.

Mahomes is why we are a legitimate contender now. Who thought Mahomes would progress this far and fast? MVP his first season as a starter? Reid deserves the credit. He over there in the game sitting with him coaching him up. As he should be. We will rise or fall on how well Mahomes performs. It looks like Reid is perfect so far in his most important job. What coach Reid wants, Reid gets.
We’ve been drafting 4-3 players for this reason. I’m stoked about it!!
[Reply]
T-post Tom 05:26 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Ben Niemann = Scott Fujita!!!
True. Neither is Japanese. :-)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 05:26 PM 01-24-2019
Reminder:
Last year, CP thought the Chiefs would suck because we hired Bienemy as OC and his offenses at Colorado were at best mediocre.

Conclusion:
This means so very little. It’s change which is good. Put some good personnel around him and roll the dice and we have something to look forward to.

We got torched by Chase Daniel and the Bears second team offense in our final preseason game and people were surprised Brady carved us up in the AFCCG. Water is wet.

(I am aware Reid is our real OC and Mahomes is god but people still thought it was catastrophic after losing Nagy.)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:26 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
As long as Ford is gone as well....I'm fine with it.
I really don't know what they're going to do. Paying Ford 15 mil to be a miscast would be a bad choice, but so is paying Houston 21 mil to be a bad fit.

Logic would say they both go, but now they have to scramble to find 2-3 DE's. Partly why I wasn't in favor of this
[Reply]
chiefforlife 05:27 PM 01-24-2019
It will be interesting to see who he brings in for position coaches. I want to know for sure what he is going to do with our D?

WE NEED A PRESS CONFERENCE!!!
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:28 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I really don't know what they're going to do. Paying Ford 15 mil to be a miscast would be a bad choice, but so is paying Houston 21 mil to be a bad fit.

Logic would say they both go, but now they have to scramble to find 2-3 DE's. Partly why I wasn't in favor of this
4-3 defensive ends are easier to find than 3-4 OLBs.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:30 PM 01-24-2019
I think they'll convince Houston to restructure.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 05:30 PM 01-24-2019
The Kansas City Chiefs will be hiring as Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, according to a report from Mike Garafolo of NFL Media. Spagnuolo will be replacing Bob Sutton, who was fired earlier this week after six seasons.

The news was also reported by Adam Schefter of ESPN, who says Spagnuolo was Chiefs head coach Andy Reid's first choice.

"Steve Spagnuolo was the defensive coach that Andy Reid wanted to hire after firing Bob Sutton," Schefter tweeted. "This is now done and official, and was in the works since the two men spoke Wednesday."

Spagnuolo, 59, began his career in 1981 as a graduate assistant at UMass, then took his first NFL job as an intern with the Redskins in 1983. For most of the 1980s and 1990s, Spagnuolo had stints in college as a defensive coach, including schools such as Connecticut, Rutgers, Maine, and Bowling Green, and also spent time with the Frankfurt Galaxy and Barcelona Dragons of the World League of American Football/NFL Europe.

Spagnuolo went on to join the defensive staff with the Eagles under Reid in 1999, serving as a defensive assistant (1999-2000), defensive backs coach (2001-2003) and linebackers coach (2004-2006) under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson. His first defensive coordinator opportunity came with the New York Giants under Tom Coughlin in 2007, during which he made a splash when his defense shut down the previously undefeated New England Patriots during a 17-14 win in Super Bowl XLII. His first head coaching opportunity came with the St. Louis Rams in 2009, which ended with his firing following the 2011 season after posting a 10-38 overall record.

Since then, Spagnuolo has spent time with the Baltimore Ravens as a senior defensive assistant (2013) and a secondary coach (2014), then returned to the Giants as the defensive coordinator from 2015 to 2017 and served as the interim head coach towards the end of the 2017 season after the firing of coach Ben McAdoo. Spagnuolo wasn't retained by the Giants after they hired Pat Shurmur as head coach in early 2018 and addressed his coaching future last February, knowing he might have to wait another season before getting another opportunity.

“It may not be this year, and that’s OK,” Spagnuolo said, per Newsday. “Sometimes when that happens it gives you a chance to sit back and see the big picture. I think that’s always good. When you’re in the middle of it all the time and you put the blinders on and you go, you miss some things. I don’t know what it will feel like because I’ve never not been [coaching] in the middle of a season, but if that’s the way it happens that’s the way it is. I’ll spend some more time with [my wife] Maria, that’ll be a blessing, and then we’ll see what happens next year.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Chiefs-hiring-Steve-Spagnuolo-defensive-coordinator-128265032/
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:30 PM 01-24-2019
RINSE AND REPEAT
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:30 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I think they'll convince Houston to restructure.
He definitely needs to.
[Reply]
Shields68 05:31 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
We don’t need a top ten defense. We just need a middle of the pack defense. Spags should get us there.
And one to come up with a solid game plan for the Pats and the few other good offensive playoff teams. Wonder how much Spags defensive experience vs. the Pats in the two super bowls played into this.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:31 PM 01-24-2019
Play Houston at SLB.

He can cover.
[Reply]
TribalElder 05:33 PM 01-24-2019
Am I wrong for being throughly disappointed by this hire?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:34 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
4-3 defensive ends are easier to find than 3-4 OLBs.
Yes, but they're going to need a lot of DE's and they're kindof gutting a strength to force in a rebuild.

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Play Houston at SLB.

He can cover.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 11 of 324
« First < 7891011 121314152161111 > Last »
Up