ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 199 of 211
« First < 99149189195196197198199 200201202203209 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Official 2019 STL Cardinals Thread****
BigRedChief 03:23 AM 01-10-2019
Cardinals announce 25-man Opening Day roster for the 2019 season.
Spoiler!

2019 Opening Day Line up
Spoiler!

Won the Central Division. Won the NLDS.

NLDS Playoff roster
Spoiler!

NLDS Playoff Game 1 starting lineup
Spoiler!

NLCS Game One Starting lineup
Spoiler!

[Reply]
VAChief 11:09 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
So, next year is gonna be the same squad right? There's not much they can change iirc.
Depends, there are quite a few options out there in free agency. Ten years ago they could have been viewed as possible landing spots, but I'm not sure that is true anymore. Mo has been quite adept at spending money for past performance on a host of players. He can't seem to within reason accurately evaluate likely depreciating talent on other teams and even our own.

I have no hope that will change as long as he is running things.

That said, theoretically there are several starting pitching options that could make sense. They won't be able to get Cole or Strasburg, and probably not Wheeler. However I wouldn't mind them kicking the tires on Bumgardner or Hamels as long as it is reasonable.

Rendon would make a lot of sense, but they still owe Carpenter three years. Donaldson was a clear miss last year and will probably cash in on his big year with the Braves.

If they had signed Donaldson instead of Goldy and NOT extended Carpenter there would be lots of options this year.

The overstocked outfield are not names that are going to bring great value in return (maybe Carlson, which would be asinine).

So, no probably not going to change much from outside.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:28 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I don't understand why AL teams aren't interested in Jose Martinez. The dude can obviously hit.
He can hit but he's a DH so when you put him in that group his hitting doesn't look all that great.

If you were going to trade him you would have done it last season, but I don't even remember if the Cardinals seriously considered it. His OPS+ this season was 97. The DH average OPS+ hovers around 110.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:27 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
So, next year is gonna be the same squad right? There's not much they can change iirc.
Sadly, yes. While the division win and playoff series win were fun, they put off rebuilding by a year.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:54 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Sadly, yes. While the division win and playoff series win were fun, they put off rebuilding by a year.
Pretty much. Not shocking at all that an inconsistent,veteran laden team of underperformers (coaching) took advantage of a weak division, played well in one series and shit the bed the next. But, hey those LCS participation shirts...
[Reply]
VAChief 04:32 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Pretty much. Not shocking at all that an inconsistent,veteran laden team of underperformers (coaching) took advantage of a weak division, played well in one series and shit the bed the next. But, hey those LCS participation shirts...
Veteran under-performers and you blame coaching?:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:21 AM 10-19-2019
Some 2020 payroll highlights:
Thanks to Mo for over paying most of these players. Guess-estimated $160 - $170 million payroll without changing anything. 5th highest in baseball.

So what can we do? Trade Fowler and Carpenter for "A" level lottery prospects. Pay 1/2 their salary to the other team. We can probably get more out of that $16 million we save from some other player. But, the main reason is to just move on from aging under performing players. You just need one team to think they can fix them. Thinking Angels for Fowler. Carp to some low level AL team with cash issues.

Otherwise, thanks to Mo making players feel comfortable, we don't have any money. We cant expect to have a top 5 payroll. It's unrealistic to think Dewitt is going to go that high.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:55 AM 10-19-2019
I still can't believe that Carpenter extension
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:15 AM 10-19-2019
Next year needs to be a farewell tour. Sign Waino to 1/10 and have him go out with Yadi.

Give all the AAAA OF enough rope to hang themselves, then see if you have any wheat.

Give Helsley and Gomber a shot in the rotation. Eat the Fowler deal. If Miller shows life, trade him to a team needing lefty help immediately.

Edman is going to have a much worse year next year. Prepare yourself for it, because his batted ball luck won't hold. Carpenter stays on the bench. Period.

Don't rush Csrlson. Do all that and next year will be a success.
[Reply]
Miles 11:36 AM 10-19-2019
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I still can't believe that Carpenter extension
That $2M buyout to decline his option sure would look nice.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:05 AM 10-21-2019
Interesting proposal coming about the minor league systems
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-league-teams/
[Reply]
VAChief 12:00 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Next year needs to be a farewell tour. Sign Waino to 1/10 and have him go out with Yadi.

Give all the AAAA OF enough rope to hang themselves, then see if you have any wheat.

Give Helsley and Gomber a shot in the rotation. Eat the Fowler deal. If Miller shows life, trade him to a team needing lefty help immediately.

Edman is going to have a much worse year next year. Prepare yourself for it, because his batted ball luck won't hold. Carpenter stays on the bench. Period.

Don't rush Csrlson. Do all that and next year will be a success.
Sounds like you are talking somewhat of a rebuild. I can't say I disagree. If they were to cut ties with Fowler, I would make a qualifying offer to Ozuna (he probably won't accept, but even if he does it is for one year, which buys you some time on Carlson). That leaves Bader, ONeill, Arozarena and Lane to fight it out for the other outfield spots. I would also try to find an AL fit for Martinez. He limits our bench options too much, especially if they continue to run Molina out there day and and day out.

If you keep Carp benched who plays third everyday? Do you even try to upgrade over there?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 02:01 PM 10-21-2019
You guys know damn well what SHOULD be done.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:03 PM 10-21-2019
Carlos Martinez has surgery on his pitching shoulder. Mo says it was minor surgery and will be ready for spring training. Soooo expect him back at mid season and again unable to throw more than 50 pitches at a time.
[Reply]
jd1020 02:27 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Carlos Martinez has surgery on his pitching shoulder. Mo says it was minor surgery and will be ready for spring training. Soooo expect him back at mid season and again unable to throw more than 50 pitches at a time.
Rumor has it the surgery went exceedingly well. He's throwing the ball with authority with increased command and velocity and he's set to sign a multi-year extension.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:42 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Rumor has it the surgery went exceedingly well. He's throwing the ball with authority with increased command and velocity and he's set to sign a multi-year extension.
:-) damn good onion take. Enough truth with parody. Yet, depressing at the same time.
[Reply]
Page 199 of 211
« First < 99149189195196197198199 200201202203209 > Last »
Up