ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Need some help from the mechanics
TLO 06:51 PM 08-15-2020
2015 Dodge Charger RT - 75,000 miles.

I'm noticing a clicking/ticking sound coming from the front end, (sounds like maybe from the right side) under acceleration at low speed. The noise is also present when coming to a stop. It seems to be worse when turning under acceleration. At higher speeds the noise goes away. (Will generally stop once I hit 15mph or so)

The noise is not present when the car is cold. Takes about 15 minutes of driving before it becomes noticeable at all.

Car seems to be running well, no issues shifting.

Will try to provide more details as needed.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:17 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Looks like your bolts may have sheared, which might turn out to be a blessing, compared to what else could be.

You need to assess how sound that structural metal is right underneath the end of the spring.

If there are any defects to that, your frame is shot which is tough to justify any kind of rehab. But if it's solid and rust-free and true, you might be able to jack up the back and replace the saddle.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-722-10...74495831&psc=1

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dont have the tools what's the labor? Coule hundred?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:17 PM 07-05-2022

Copied to note, that blank area underneath your spring in pic 1 above should look like the part painted black in this picture.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:20 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
97 Ford ranger

W/o seeing better pictures, my money is on the spring shackle bracket or the hardware, having rusted and snapped.

How expensive that is to fix will be based on if that bracket needs to be welded or if it can be bolted, and the condition of the frame rail.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:21 PM 07-05-2022

https://ibb.co/V90NmR5
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:23 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Dont have the tools what's the labor? Coule hundred?
I'm way outside expertise quoting a labor cost. My expertise is how to do it, not how much it costs to do it profitably as a business.

Particularly in the labor market of the past couple years.

In general, I can't imagine even that easy of a fix, if that's what it is, still for less than $500-600 parts and labor, even at a mom-and-pop joint.

In today's market that could be double.

But I don't know any of that part for certain.

It's a do-able fix, but it takes know-how and tools and that shit is valuable in a market-rate basis.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:26 PM 07-05-2022
I called a body shop I'm bringing it in later this week. He told me not to drive it on the highway lol
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:29 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
W/o seeing better pictures, my money is on the spring shackle bracket or the hardware, having rusted and snapped.

How expensive that is to fix will be based on if that bracket needs to be welded or if it can be bolted, and the condition of the frame rail.
If you click the AutoZone link, the saddle is a bolt-in.

If his frame is sound, the big problem is finding someone with lifts and air tools, or paying market labor rate for a shop.

The bolt-in itself is dead easy, with the right tools, if you also have the know-how to assess how sound the frame rail is.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 04:37 PM 07-05-2022
If you get it fixed get some rust inhibitor and spray that on those critical mounting points. Heck spray the whole frame.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:00 PM 07-05-2022
Shit billay just shoot that fucking truck :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:00 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
If you click the AutoZone link, the saddle is a bolt-in.

If his frame is sound, the big problem is finding someone with lifts and air tools, or paying market labor rate for a shop.

The bolt-in itself is dead easy, with the right tools, if you also have the know-how to assess how sound the frame rail is.
If he sheared the bolts, it’s hard to believe that there aren’t many things in good shape on the old bitch. Looks like she’s been rode hard and put up wet.

I dunno if a body shop is where you need to be. I’d start at a mechanic shop.

Don’t let them fix the hole in the bed. Just get a 2 lb ball peen and dink on it until it’s covered back up.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:12 PM 07-05-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
If he sheared the bolts, it’s hard to believe that there aren’t many things in good shape on the old bitch. Looks like she’s been rode hard and put up wet.

Don’t let them fix the hole in the bed. Just get a 2 lb ball peen and dink on it until it’s covered back up.
Hard to say for sure without first-hand assessment.

If they used substandard grade bolts or didn't torque them to spec, think about it.

One bolt loosens a little, and now the cradle is rocking back and forth with every flex of the suspension, almost like a hacksaw going back and forth over the bolts. Easy to see how this setup could shear bolts once one bolt starts loosening.

Look at the picture I posted above from someone else's repair, and think if one of those bolts on the frame was even a little loose, how the saddle would react to the leaf springs moving up and down.

But even that is speculative.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 07:59 PM 07-05-2022
Bill why don’t you get a real fuckin job where you can afford a car
[Reply]
lewdog 09:06 PM 07-05-2022
In my opinion, if that job costs more than $500, it's not worth putting money into that rust bucket.
[Reply]
srvy 10:32 PM 07-05-2022
I don't know about that one used trucks are expensive even old beaters are commanding dollars.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:14 AM 07-06-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

I reached out to my mechanic he said body shop
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up