ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>The US Navy canceled a routine Black Sea patrol after Trump complained that it was ho
LongSufferingToady 01:14 PM 11-15-2019
The US Navy canceled a routine Black Sea patrol after Trump complained that it was hostile to Russia

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-n...russia-2019-11

Christopher Anderson, an aide to former Special Envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker, testified that the White House canceled a Navy freedom-of-navigation operation in the Black Sea after President Donald Trump complained to then-national security adviser John Bolton about a CNN report that framed the operation as a counter to Russia, Politico reported.

According to Anderson's testimony, the news report in question came from CNN and characterized the operation as antagonistic toward Russia. Anderson testified that Trump called Bolton at home to complain about the article, and the operation was later canceled at the behest of the White House, Anderson said.

"In January, there was an effort to get a routine freedom-of-navigation operation into the Black Sea," Anderson testified. "There was a freedom-of-navigation operation for the Navy. So we — we, the US government — notified the Turkish government that there was this intent."

While Anderson in his testimony placed the report in January, details from his testimony match a story from early December, which had the headline "US makes preparations to sail warship into the Black Sea amid Russia-Ukraine tensions."

Anderson said the White House asked the Navy to cancel the freedom-of-navigation operation because the report portrayed the operation as a move to counter Russia, which has increased its naval presence there since annexing Crimea in 2014. In November 2018, its forces attacked Ukrainian assets transiting the Kerch Strait, which connects the Black Sea with the Azov Sea. Russia seized three Ukrainian ships and held 24 Ukrainian service members captive.

"We met with Ambassador Bolton and discussed this, and he made it clear that the president had called him to complain about that news report. And that may have just been that he was surprised," Anderson said.

"We don't — I can't speculate as to why, but that, that operation, was canceled, but then we were able to get a second one for later in February. And we had an Arleigh-class destroyer arrive in Odessa on the fifth anniversary of the Crimea invasion."

The White House did not respond to Insider's requests for comment. US 6th Fleet did not address Black Sea transits in December 2018, but said all operations in January and February of 2019 went according to schedule.

"U.S. 6th Fleet conducted our naval operations in the Black Sea region as scheduled in January and February 2019. The U.S. Navy will continue to operate in the Black Sea consistent with international law, to include the Montreaux Convention," according to spokesman Cmdr. Kyle Raines.
[Reply]
Donger 01:55 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Sure, but thatís unsubstantiated 2nd hand info.
That I isnít unsubstantiated, Bitch.
[Reply]
Donger 01:57 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
No that's the pretense, which you always fall for Donger The Warmonger.

The Russians view that like we do our Gulf of Mexico. Any Russian ships come in ours, you can bet we'd be screaming.

Not surprisingly, it took a provocation of war thread to get you off impeachment. Can't make it up! :-)
The Russians enter the Gulf often, Kitten. We donít scream about it. We monitor them.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:59 PM 11-15-2019
Tory Empire War Monger Donger — The War Salesman.
[Reply]
banyon 01:59 PM 11-15-2019
It doesn’t matter what I think, I’m not the CIC.
You think people should follow any order from the CIC and the public can't question it regardless of how little sense it makes?
[Reply]
Donger 02:00 PM 11-15-2019
Tory Empire War Monger Donger ó The War Salesman.
Ignorant female should know her place.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:01 PM 11-15-2019
Following the C.I.C. Is the Navyís job, doofus.
I don't believe you are stupid, Bitch.

Why do you act like you are?
[Reply]
banyon 02:05 PM 11-15-2019
No that's the pretense, which you always fall for Donger-With A-War Boner.
The Russians view that like we do our Gulf of Mexico. Any Russian ships come in ours, you can bet we'd be screaming.

Not surprisingly, it took a provocation of war thread to get you off impeachment. Can't make it up! :-)
Did we just for example, ram Mexican ships and hold them hostage in violation of international law? Because if we did, then the situation would be analogous.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:06 PM 11-15-2019
So Niner is a NeoCon warmonger too? Who woulda' thought since Obama thought providing lethal weapons to the Ukraine would agitate Russia and Putin. So he only gave them blankets. Obama was right imo. This is a right move too.
No, BEP, but I am a Navy vet.

Did you know that part of the Navy's mission is to maintain freedom of navigation in international waters?

Do you think its warmongering for the Navy to perform that part of its mission?
[Reply]
scho63 02:07 PM 11-15-2019
Another heard from a friend who heard it from a friend who hates Trump.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:10 PM 11-15-2019
It doesnít matter what I think, Iím not the CIC.
Since you're going to act stupid, I'll point out the rather obvious point for you:

Point: If the Commander in Chief is giving orders that undermine our national security, or that prevent a branch of the military from fulfilling its mission, which in this case maintaining freedom of navigation in international waters, for either stupid or personal reasons, then he's a shitty Commander in Chief.

Do you get it now?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:10 PM 11-15-2019
Sorry Niner, got you in the NeoCon fold.
[Reply]
Donger 02:14 PM 11-15-2019
It is good to know that when the Russians enter international waters near us, or enter our air defense zones, BEP will declare them to be warmongering NeoCons.

Oh wait. She wont
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:22 PM 11-15-2019
No that's the pretense, which you always fall for Donger-With A-War Boner.

You don't think that the Russian Navy operates in the Gulf of Mexico? Did I understand you correctly?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:27 PM 11-15-2019
Sorry Niner, got you in the NeoCon fold.
Oh. So thinking that the United States Navy should do its job makes me a NeoCon.

Ok.
[Reply]
Donger 02:28 PM 11-15-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
You don't think that the Russian Navy operates in the Gulf of Mexico? Did I understand you correctly?
Did you say something?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up