ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Thanksgiving 2019
HonestChieffan 08:58 AM 11-12-2019


We are just a couple weeks away from Thanksgiving Day and started making plans for celebrating the day. Here is a good read on history:
https://carm.org/thanksgiving

We have done Turkey about every way possible and we seem to alway go back to traditional side dishes...Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberries, even mashed potatoes and of course dressing.

So many things we all have to be thankful for!!

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:09 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:


We are just a couple weeks away from Thanksgiving Day and started making plans for celebrating the day. Here is a good read on history:
https://carm.org/thanksgiving

We have done Turkey about every way possible and we seem to alway go back to traditional side dishes...Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberries, even mashed potatoes and of course dressing.

So many things we all have to be thankful for!!

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
No pie?

We always had pumpkin, of which I am not a fan, and mince meat, which I love.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:20 PM 11-12-2019
Good thread. I love the holidays. For Thanksgiving this year I'm gonna' spatchcock my bird (that's what she said). Even got some new poultry shears.


[Reply]
eDave 12:29 PM 11-12-2019
There's no reason to act this way BEP.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:29 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by eDave:
There's no reason to act this way BEP.
Bro I was trying to get the thread back on track! How you like my moist juicy spatchcock?:-)
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 12:30 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Good thread. I love the holidays. For Thanksgiving this year I'm gonna' spatchcock my bird (that's what she said). Even got some new poultry shears.

We do that a lot. I like a simple marinade of lemon juice and lemon zest, red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary crushed, olive oil, salt, pepper and a clove of crushed up garlic...2-4 hours in a ziplock in fridge and good to go. We did a cooking school in Tuscany two years ago and this was one of the things we did over a basic oak wood fire on a rack and covered with barn tin Freaking awesome
[Reply]
vailpass 12:32 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
We do that a lot. I like a simple marinade of lemon juice and lemon zest, red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary crushed, olive oil, salt, pepper and a clove of crushed up garlic...2-4 hours in a ziplock in fridge and good to go. We did a cooking school in Tuscany two years ago and this was one of the things we did over a basic oak wood fire on a rack and covered with barn tin Freaking awesome
Sounds good mr. fancy pants. I'll brine mine and cook it in a steel oven with a jack and coke in my hand.
[Reply]
Raiderhader 12:35 PM 11-12-2019
I confirmed at the time that DC was created that non-political topics were perfectly fine in this forum. I had a joke thread that was completely not political. I think we might have even had a football thread or two back then for those of us who were against the split.

BEP just isn’t happy unless she is being confrontational.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:38 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Yet it did—instantly!

Afterall, it was posted in DC, with a Christian Apologetics link despite it being obscured by your choice of title and comments. Everyone knows that religion and politics are considered the two most contentious subjects that could be discussed. You were not seeking the avoidance of conflict or you would have posted it in the Lounge and skipped the Apologetic's link.

Thanksgiving is about as religious as Memorial Day, because the dead have Christian crosses on their graves and people pray for the dead who sacrificed their lives, even though not all who died have crosses on their grave or were Christian—just like the pagans who attended the Pilgrim's first thanksgiving. The very pagans that helped them to survive. Just because a religious people, the Pilgrims had a feast and were thankful, doesn't make it strictly a religious holiday. Just because past presidents invoked religious sentiments on praising God for what we have because they themselves were Christian, doesn't make it strictly religious.

Remember, Halloween, Valentine's Day have more religious connections than Thanksgiving — All Souls Day
( All Hallows' Day), All Saint's Day and St Valentine's Day. They're hardly religious now, although some religions treat All Souls & Saint's Day as a religious day. Some Christian sects forbid their children to even honor Halloween or dress up. Then there's St. Patrick's Day which is a celebration of Ireland for the Irish who's patron saint was St. Patrick. That was considered a religious feast day—although it's a drinkin' day for many more.
Stop. Just stop. You're so desperate to be a bitch towards HCF that you're playing semantic games with the level of "religious" in a holiday that's about giving thanks to God.
[Reply]
eDave 12:41 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Bro I was trying to get the thread back on track! How you like my moist juicy spatchcock?:-)
I'm a fan of the spatch. Not the cock though. But thanks.
[Reply]
Jim Hammer 12:42 PM 11-12-2019

[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:43 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
We mostly do the traditional items, though we usually add one or two non-traditional items to the menu, as well.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:45 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'm a fan of the spatch. Not the cock though. But thanks.
:-)
[Reply]
MephistophelesJanx 12:55 PM 11-12-2019
Driving out to Tennessee to visit my mom and pop. My brother is flying in and seeing an Aunt and Uncle I haven't seen in years. Cousins I haven't seen since they were babies.

I'll be baking the bread for the event and will be assisting in the preparation of the bird. I'll also be bringing cherries, garlic, and onions from my homestead and those ingredients will go into the meal as well.

We will likely do "Christmas" exchanges early as we won't be able to all get together again this year.
[Reply]
Jim Hammer 12:57 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
When I started frying the turkey, it eliminated the juices for gravy, so we made blue cheese mashed potatoes.

While tasty, we still missed out on the gravy to top the stuffing. Now my mom just bakes a turkey ahead of time for the sole purpose of collecting the droppings for gravy.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:02 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Jim Hammer:
When I started frying the turkey, it eliminated the juices for gravy, so we made blue cheese mashed potatoes.

While tasty, we still missed out on the gravy to top the stuffing. Now my mom just bakes a turkey ahead of time for the sole purpose of collecting the droppings for gravy.

Hate to admit it but Williams Sonoma has a Turkey Gravy base that is simply amazing....and u are right, grilling or deep fry you miss that gravy
[Reply]
Page 3 of 11
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up