ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>This is what common core was all about...
Taco John 01:42 PM 11-11-2019
So glad I send my kids to private school.

When they created common core, it seemed like it was about math and science, but this is what it was really about: culture. They want to reorder it for their family destroying agenda.

My one criticism of this lesson is that the children who got the answer wrong werenít immediately expelled. pic.twitter.com/6SoKBatNu2

— Titania McGrath (@TitaniaMcGrath) November 11, 2019

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:26 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I think you're being too kind about common core, by some factor of 1000.

And, while the "half the world" is below average, "half the world" is not below 10 I.Q.. Even below average kids have been able to learn math without common core.

You're basically being snobbish over something where such snobbery is not warranted.
Sure - but to what benefit?

'Old school math' isn't inherently more easy to learn, especially if you're not someone that excels in memorization.

I don't think you're wrong that most people CAN learn the old method of math. I just think it comes harder for most of them and with precisely zero benefit.

So if you can teach baseline stuff in a manner that's easier to pick up, why wouldn't you?

To take it out of the realm of outright snobbery, it's trading ceiling for floor. Yes, the ceiling on CC math his lower, but I think the barriers to entry are lower and ultimately the benefits are identical for the vast majority of people that will be learning it.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:35 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

'Old school math' isn't inherently more easy to learn, especially if you're not someone that excels in memorization.

I don't think you're wrong that most people CAN learn the old method of math. I just think it comes harder for most of them and with precisely zero benefit...
And I think your position is just plain wrong. Anything else I could say would have us needlessly at loggerheads, so I'll leave it at that.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:38 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

All learning requires some memorization. Memorization is learned with practice. Just like learning an instrument or another skill.
Originally Posted by :
I don't think you're wrong that most people CAN learn the old method of math. I just think it comes harder for most of them and with precisely zero benefit.
Do you have any proof of this in the absence of longer comparative studies between this method or the Common Core method?

It's all experimentation using other people's children as guinea pigs for decades with each passing trend. Look at the failure that Whole Language led to with reading failures.

Then there is the massive amount of labeling students as learning disabled and what not, which it appears you are doing here.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:40 PM 11-11-2019
And I think your position is just plain wrong. Anything else I could say would have us needlessly at loggerheads, so I'll leave it at that.
Fair.

I'm not even 100% sure that I'm right. But as I've had to dick with it more, it really reminded me a lot of those mental math drills I did as a kid where speed with basic mathematical functions was critically important.

Otherwise I'd probably loathe it. But when we were trying to streamline math to make it as fast as possible, the tenants of CC math were how it was done.

It's just stood out to me as evidence that there's something to CC being math broken down to its basic, intuitive elements.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:43 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Do you have any proof of this in the absence of longer comparative studies between this method or the Common Core method?
Fuck no. Why in heaven's name would I have any of that?

Is a supported doctoral thesis now the standard we have to reach to post on Chiefsplanet? Are you kidding me with that shit?

Originally Posted by :
Then there is the massive amount of labeling students as learning disabled and what not, which it appears you are doing here.
And now pointing out that baseline learners have minds wired completely different from engineers is 'labeling students as learning disabled'...

You've gone 'round the bend here, dear sir...
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:12 PM 11-11-2019
I know what common core claims to be, thanks.
Iím asking for your thoughts, not what the CC says.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:13 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Taco John:
Pitt Gorilla is literally a human bot.
Iím a research mathematician who works with engineers. So, yes.
[Reply]
NewChief 05:33 PM 11-11-2019
Do you dumbfucks really believe this has any tie to the Common Core at all? I'm not even sure that the video is anything other than agitprop.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 06:02 PM 11-11-2019
Yes, I know. It's a satire account. The content is still relevant.
It's made up. It's not a real class.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:30 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
You should be thrilled. Poorly educated people keep the GOP and Libertarians afloat.
^Deep thoughts with Derp Handy^
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:42 PM 11-11-2019
But itís not. The clip is satire. This isnít being taught in schools.
[Reply]
-King- 07:13 PM 11-11-2019
You guys are arguing about common core (a legitimate argument) in a thread in which the OP posted videos of a fake class being taught about genders and love...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:09 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
You guys are arguing about common core (a legitimate argument) in a thread in which the OP posted videos of a fake class being taught about genders and love...
Yes.

Originally Posted by NewChief:
Do you dumbfucks really believe this has any tie to the Common Core at all?
No.

But please, be a bigger cunt about it. And by the way, who fucking asked you? Eat shit, asshole. Who the hell goes flying into the middle of a conversation they have no intention of involving themselves in calling people dumbfucks?

Taste me - prick.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:06 PM 11-11-2019
Relevant to what (other than the fact that you'll fall for literally anything that confirms your warped world view)?
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:07 PM 11-11-2019
This gets worse...

What gets worse? What in the actual **** are you talking about?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up