ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>This is what common core was all about...
Taco John 01:42 PM 11-11-2019
So glad I send my kids to private school.

When they created common core, it seemed like it was about math and science, but this is what it was really about: culture. They want to reorder it for their family destroying agenda.

My one criticism of this lesson is that the children who got the answer wrong weren’t immediately expelled. pic.twitter.com/6SoKBatNu2

— Titania McGrath (@TitaniaMcGrath) November 11, 2019

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 03:56 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Is there someone talking in a manner worth listening to? I don't think so.
Aww, the autistic kid thinks it's intelligent. Sad!
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:02 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Common core, to my eyes, is a really shitty foundation for teaching advanced mathematics. Like - incredibly awful.

But it's also an extremely intuitive way of looking at numbers for basic, day to day mathematics and doesn't begin to show cracks until you really get to calculus level stuff.

I, being a nerd, was on the standard academic teams and stuff as a kid and part of those teams were mental math competitions where you basically just popped off answers as soon as the question was finished or you just weren't gonna be fast enough. And when you're trying to do really fast mental math, unless you're someone with perfect recall and you can really 'see' all those formulas in your head, you end up working it almost exactly like they teach common core math.

For day to day use, the overwhelming majority of people use math in the same manner common core is taught. Some don't because they were simply never taught it that way (or weren't drilled on it) and some don't because they have those high-level mathematical brains that simply process numbers incredibly well. They really can 'see' those kind of written formulas (as we were taught it) in their head.

But most people's brains don't work that way and so trying to mentally do that sort of stuff is just over-complicating things for them and making them slower and worse. And with the processing power readily at your fingertips nowadays, base-level mathematical functions are all 90% of the population needs.

That other 10% has to reinvent the wheel at some point if they're going into advanced math, but they also have a brain wired in a way that makes that all pretty easy for them.

I hate common core math because it's shit I have to re-learn in order help my kids with their homework, but that doesn't mean it's facially stupid. I can see how it's hindering overall test scores because by providing a poor foundation for advanced level math, those scores will be hurt. But I feel like it makes the day to day use of numbers all the easier for the majority of people.

And that's far more useful than scoring higher on standardized tests. It really does get back to the bitching and moaning I was fond of in High School - "Seriously, what the !@#$ do I need to learn imaginary numbers for or how to hand-figure a cosine for? I'm not gonna be a physicist and a calculator's gonna do this stuff for me..."

It's educations attempt to provide more real-world applicability to fundamental mathematical concepts. And it's at a level far beneath the folks that are going to make major breakthroughs in math anyway so there's probably no harm done to the actual world we live in.
Some years back, while I was helping with homework, I had to teach math from step one in order to show how I was able to get the right answer, when the kid wasn't getting the answer using the way he'd been taught.

I literally had to go back to the beginning, show him every single move, find a book showing how/why that worked, and hand him the complete problem written out. And this was what I had to do even though the boy had the answers in the back of the book, and saw that I'd gotten it right.

Common core is garbage, and it's a problem because kids are deliberately being taught to be stupid.
[Reply]
Taco John 04:05 PM 11-11-2019
This gets worse...

“We aren’t coming for your kids.” pic.twitter.com/ZPsoOwQ5Ut

— Neighborhood Good Guy �� (@WesternWatchman) November 11, 2019

[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:05 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Aww, the autistic kid thinks it's intelligent. Sad!
So you still have nuthin'. Thanks for conceding.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 04:07 PM 11-11-2019
So you still have nuthin'. Thanks for conceding.
You couldn't beat a mongoloid at chess. Nice try.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:09 PM 11-11-2019

But it's also an extremely intuitive way of looking at numbers for basic, day to day mathematics and doesn't begin to show cracks until you really get to calculus level stuff.
So is adding and subtracting on one's fingers.

Originally Posted by :
But most people's brains don't work that way and so trying to mentally do that sort of stuff is just over-complicating things for them and making them slower and worse.
Really? My brother is a National Honor Society scholar who excels in Math and is now an engineer. He hates it, and has had to reteach math to his own daughter and thinks her workbooks are crap.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:10 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
You couldn't beat a mongoloid at chess. Nice try.
Another concession, but I really do live in your head.
[Reply]
InChiefsHell 04:13 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Taco John:
This gets worse...

If my kids were in that class, the next day it's home schooling or financing for private education.

Holy crap...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:17 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Some years back, while I was helping with homework, I had to teach math from step one in order to show how I was able to get the right answer, when the kid wasn't getting the answer using the way he'd been taught.

I literally had to go back to the beginning, show him every single move, find a book showing how/why that worked, and hand him the complete problem written out. And this was what I had to do even though the boy had the answers in the back of the book, and saw that I'd gotten it right.

Common core is garbage, and it's a problem because kids are deliberately being taught to be stupid.
Half the world is below average.

Yes, common core math is appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's just instructive to point out that the lowest common denominator is more common than we want to believe. And frankly, people that are thinking 'over' it will eventually settle into their own format anyway.

Where it MIGHT be problematic long-term is that some 'math people' enjoy math because they're intellectually curious and enjoy the challenge. They get that more advanced sort of early math teaching and see the potential. So they enjoy it more and its potential and it drives them to become excellent at math. Whereas if they simply learn common core from the beginning it bores them to tears, they do what they need to do to get by and never develop the appreciation for it that leads to them developing that skill and a potential mathematics superstar is lost.

But I am largely of the belief that the truly stellar will demonstrate it either way. The upper crust is just a step so far removed from everyone else. To 'stick to sports' you can compare it to those kids who never played football or basketball until their JR year of High School and end up being D1 Lettermen because they are just freakishly talented. That's the kind of upper echelon we're talking about here when it comes to rocket scientists and robotics experts. Those sorts of kids are gonna come to it either way, IMO.

Sure, some kid that may have scored a 750 on the math portion of the SAT may not ever enjoy math and end up never capitalizing on that potential. But y'know what? The kid that was gonna score an 800 probably will still. The 1% gets there almost every time either way.

Is it an example of favoring the masses over the outliers? Oh without question. But what are my complaints about the pronoun bullshit and 100 other SJW rallying cries if not my attempts to point out that we probably shouldn't be modifying the behavior of 90% of the populace to appease 10%?

I think this math probably does work better for more people and with little/no long-term impact on society writ large.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:21 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
If my kids were in that class, the next day it's home schooling or financing for private education.

Holy crap...
I got news to you, it probably is. They're just got going to advertise it. I've read about how such courses are now teaching young children how to diddle themselves.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:21 PM 11-11-2019
Half the world is below average.

Yes, common core math is appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's just instructive to point out that the lowest common denominator is more common than we want to believe. And frankly, people that are thinking 'over' it will eventually settle into their own format anyway.
I think you're being too kind about common core, by some factor of 1000.

And, while the "half the world" is below average, "half the world" is not below 10 I.Q.. Even below average kids have been able to learn math without common core.

You're basically being snobbish over something where such snobbery is not warranted.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:22 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:

common core is not without fault, especially at the advanced levels. However, conceptual understanding makes for a much more literate populace than rote memorization.

Think of it this way; how would you suggest a child compute: 100-3, assuming they don’t immediately know the answer?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:22 PM 11-11-2019
So is adding and subtracting on one's fingers.

Really? My brother is a National Honor Society scholar who excels in Math and is now an engineer. He hates it, and has had to reteach math to his own daughter and thinks her workbooks are crap.
Your brother who excels in math and is an engineer is exactly my point.

His brain doesn't work that way. Because he's a damn engineer.

Common core math isn't designed for engineers. And when it comes time for future engineers to study beyond that, they'll scrap every bit of that juvenile, basic nonsense for far more 'sturdy' foundations.

But for the other 90% that aren't engineers and aren't wired that way, they won't look at common core math as trash.

Again - don't look to people who are good at math to dissect common core math. Common core math is essentially spoken english. It's not flowery or perfect but it's viable for 99% of the population. Now if you want to be a respected author or scholar or...whatever English majors do with their lives...you need to be able to go well beyond spoken English to true perfect grammar (or beyond).

But that's not necessary or even preferable for most. Speaking in perfect 'Queens English' isn't done by anyone because it's cumbersome and unnecessary for 99% of your interactions. And that's the underlying premise of common core math - it's basic and simple but it's also how MOST minds work and perfect for most of your daily interactions.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 04:24 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
common core is not without fault, especially at the advanced levels. However, conceptual understanding makes for a much more literate populace than rote memorization.

Think of it this way; how would you suggest a child compute: 100-3, assuming they don’t immediately know the answer?
I know what common core claims to be, thanks.
[Reply]
Taco John 04:25 PM 11-11-2019
Pitt Gorilla is literally a human bot.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up