ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>LAX to Desert Hot Springs
The Iron Chief 10:40 AM 10-20-2019
If there is one thing I've learned from CP is that the wealth of knowledge is far better than any TripAdvisor crap or similar site that you would scroll thru on the internet....usually... :-)

While we suffer thru our PM hangover today hoping the Packers win and on the last snap of the game Rogers breaks his pinkie ring finger I would like to pick your all mighty brains.

I live in upstate NY and I've gone North, South even across the pool to my Right but I gotta say I'm a Virgin to the west coast.

My wife has a company meeting in Palm springs but we land in the horror I'm told is LAX.
On top of that we land at noon.
Since we need to get to our resort quickly(if that is possible) in Desert Hot Springs we will not be site seeing.
Grab our rental at LAX and hit the highway.
It looks like a fairly straight shot on google maps..approx 2:30 travel time.

So my first questions are
LAX is truly a nightmare?
The surrounding highways...will I be at a stand still til I've cleared LA?

Google maps shows us I'll be using Highway numbers.. 105/605/10
Anything interesting to see on this ride?
I'm guessing I'll see some scenic views that I'm not used to which is interesting in itself.

Our list to dos are..

Soak up the scenery type(Rocks,cactus, desert terrain wildlife etc. that we've never seen before.
Going on the popular Palm springs Aerial Tramway.
Once were 8500 FT above the sea level..is it worth doing the 2 hour hike to the peak(10,000 FT)? has anyone been here or done this?

We're spending one full day at Joshua state park exploring.
Our plan is to leave there in the evening then go back near midnight and do the star gazing thing...I'm told it IS mind blowing with Zero light pollution.

Those are the typical things on the agenda the others are.

Buy our first Legal weed ever...my wife who rarely smokes anymore says to me... Ok so we land then we hit the highway then we buy a god damn Legal joint and burn that shit up!!.... I think I just stared at her and finally said..is there anyway we can leave tomorrow?! :-)

Swim in the Hot Mineral springs at the hotel.

And of course Good Eats.

There is a Mexican place called South of the Border a walk away from our Hotel seems to have good reviews.
There is also a breakfast place in Palm springs called Cheeky's.

I should say our Hotel is 20 minutes from the Main Joshua Park Entrance at Joshua Village & we are 20 minutes from Palm Springs.

The location despite the Crime warnings seem to be pretty good.

Sorry to clutter the lounge with this but any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If nobody has any this thread will soon fall under the weight of the Injury reports & how long PM should sit threads.
[Reply]
Two-Twenty 10:53 AM 10-20-2019
Noon at LAX...you're fucked.

But the actual airport is fine. Straight shot to baggage claim. But once you're out that traffic is brutal. The 10 will test your soul.
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 11:03 AM 10-20-2019
This may be the fastest way to get there.

https://orbicair.com/i-7335329-priva...m-springs.html
[Reply]
HoneyBadger 11:18 AM 10-20-2019
LAX: After getting off your plane and to baggage claim will take about 30 minutes. Last 2 times I landed at LAX it took from 30-60 minutes just to leave the arrivals terminal with the amount of traffic. If you’re driving on a weekday towards the desert-good luck. I was just out there a week ago and the drive was about 4 hours. I was also going from Orange County so it was about 30 miles less than what you have to travel. Everyone lives that direction because homes are too expensive in LA and OC and you’ll be in rush hour traffic.

Advice:Hang out in LA or OC for a bit unless you don’t mind a 5 hour drive.

Joshua Tree: Was just there. The park is nice. But it’s all the same and it looks all the same. Bring food/drinks with you. We saw everything in a couple hours.

Food: The best Mexican food will be in LA. Try King Taco along the way. You’ll have better food options in Palms Springs than Desert Hot Springs.

The area: it’s full of sand people. These are tweakers with no teeth and no social skills. They live out there for a reason. It’s a time warp out there, you’ll definitely be stepping into the twilight zone. I’m not a smoker so I have no advice about that, however there are weed shops everywhere and they will even deliver to your hotel so you don’t have to worry about driving.
[Reply]
HoneyBadger 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM
This message has been deleted by HoneyBadger. Reason: Duplicate
seclark 11:20 AM 10-20-2019
Watch out for your cornhole.
Sec
[Reply]
DJJasonp 11:29 AM 10-20-2019
Next time...fly into ontario....much easier, and probably much quicker to palm springs. Palm desert is actually much nicer than palm springs....just another 5-10 miles down the main drag. My only must-do recommendation would be golf in palm desert. Tons of great courses....and perfect time of the year where its not a billion degrees

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
underEJ 11:29 AM 10-20-2019
Definitely go the 105 route as far east as you can so the route you mentioned is probably right on the money. The 10 on a Sunday can be bad but hopefully you are going opposite of traffic. It is however some of the least interesting scenery in LA. Lots of industrial areas.

LAX operates pretty smoothly most of the time for all the traffic if it isn’t a holiday but in future should you come to the area again, I’d recommend the Burbank airport to you. It’s less likely to get overwhelmed.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:37 AM 10-20-2019
I can't add more than the Californians can, but I'll point out that my wife and I went to Palm Desert a couple of years ago and really liked it. We stayed at some gargantuan resort (Marriott?). We drove from the Orange County airport and the traffic wasn't fun, but it wasn't stop and go or anything, just busy from door to door.
[Reply]
chinaski 11:54 AM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by The Iron Chief:
So my first questions are
LAX is truly a nightmare?
The surrounding highways...will I be at a stand still til I've cleared LA?

Google maps shows us I'll be using Highway numbers.. 105/605/10
Anything interesting to see on this ride?
I'm guessing I'll see some scenic views that I'm not used to which is interesting in itself.

Our list to dos are..

Soak up the scenery type(Rocks,cactus, desert terrain wildlife etc. that we've never seen before.
Going on the popular Palm springs Aerial Tramway.
Once were 8500 FT above the sea level..is it worth doing the 2 hour hike to the peak(10,000 FT)? has anyone been here or done this?
You didn't mention what day you are arriving?

Yes, LAX is a nightmare. Certainly right now, with all of the construction. It's a major pain in the ass.

Yes, you will be hitting traffic. I'm an Airborne Traffic and News Reporter for a News Radio Station here, I fly the freeways Monday-Friday. If you land at Noon during the week, I would imagine you will probably be departing LAX somewhere around 1:00-1:30 PM, maybe later. That is the getting into peak drive time during the afternoon, which lasts until 7:30, even later. Things start tapering off around 6:30 though.

Your route of the 105, 605 to the 10 will have the following traffic congestion:

105 Eastbound will be on and off slow from LAX toward the 605. If there isn't a wreck, it won't be locked up totally solid...but it will be slow...

605 Northbound will be slow from the 105 to the 5, and then on and off slow slowing will continue through the 60 freeway toward the 10

10 Eastbound will be slow from the 605 to toward the Azusa Avenue exit, and then get heavier from the 57 through Pomona - On and Off slowing will continue through Ontario and Fontana, and slowing through Rialto, San Bernardino and Redlands will also be a reality.

Actually, the path of least resistance would be taking the 405 Southbound to Artesia Blvd, head Eastbound on Artesia which will take you to the 91. You can take the 91 Eastbound into Riverside, onto the 60/215 (basically the 60) through Moreno Valley - the 60 Terminates at the 10, which you can pick up and continue to Palm Springs (10 to the 111) - The entire route will be slow.

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is FUN! Bring a jacket, it will be chilly at elevation, especially this time of year.

Feel free to PM me for my cell number. I'll check out traffic for you and try to give you a heads up if anything crazy is going on.

Good Luck

Scott
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:56 AM 10-20-2019
chinaski seems to have a good resume for this thread.
[Reply]
chinaski 12:13 PM 10-20-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
chinaski seems to have a good resume for this thread.
Thx Rain Man. It's my job 5 days a week. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 12:35 PM 10-20-2019
Once you get the rental car, drive as fast as you can away from LA, once you get deep in the desert pull over on adirt road and bang the ol lady for 10 minutes so you start your trip on the right note.
[Reply]
The Iron Chief 01:15 PM 10-20-2019
I knew you guys would not let me down!

I get in the future a better landing spot than LAX will be in order.

And yes I should've mentioned Arrival is this "Wednesday" Noon.

So normally LAX runs fairly smooth...but is currently under construction.
I can expect it to take til 1:30 before I'm pulling out.
My plan of taking 105/605/10 sounds about right to most but more because yes it'll get me there but maybe not the Best way.
And I don't want to lose my soul to 10.:-)

chinaski Your Hired!!
Airborne Traffic and News Reporter for a News Radio Station...the CP brain trust is amazing.
Your information on the route/traffic is unbelievable!
I'm going to research your suggestion I just may drop you a line Thank you!

Also suggested..
protect my Cornhole.
bang my wife 10 minutes after departing the city.

I did notice while researching on the internet that we just may in parts feel like we've entered the twilight zone and feel like we've time warped into the past.
I've read there are stores towns bars and restaurants that still look as they did 80 years ago.

I also realize we may enjoy Palm springs a little more than Desert Hot springs..as in Food and walking around etc.

Tramway is a for sure.
I realize the top temp is what 40 degrees cooler than the bottom.
The big question is whether or not were going to hike to the peek.
We may feel that the top of the Tram is plenty.
But we do like to Hike.
Its more..spend 5 hours total to get to the peek or go back down and do something else.

Thx again for the information!!!
[Reply]
Coyote 01:54 PM 10-20-2019
Well covered by the current experts. Don’t know how you could have gotten anymore relevant information.

For your Desert Hot Springs stay; anticipate weird noises (well not weird out there: https://www.29palms.marines.mil/Port...-29-161654-113)

I’m not counting any devil worshippers that you encounter at midnight at the Amboy Crater.... https://www.desertusa.com/desert-cal...ater-rt66.html. Enjoy your trip.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 02:26 PM 10-20-2019
Palm Springs is terrific. Have Cuban food at Ricks.

Desert Hot Springs is methtown. You’ll want to hang out in PS as much as possible.
[Reply]
eDave 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up