ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 60 of 324
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:57 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Houston may not want to go through a scheme change or take less money...he could still get a nice contract on the open market, just remember that.
Well, the Chiefs have leverage because Houston also knows the Chiefs can cut him any time they want now. Houston would gladly renegotiate an extension even if it's much cheaper than his current deal. But yes, assuming he wants to play in a 4-3.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:57 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
If we want to keep Houston it won't be hard to restructure and save a shitload of money. Chiefs have all the leverage assuming theyre confident he fits into spagnuolos long term plans.
I don't think either side really has leverage over the other. The Chiefs save a lot by cutting him, but he could still get plenty and still play for a contender like the Texans or Packers who both could use Houston.
[Reply]
scho63 03:05 PM 01-25-2019
We traded down 8 years.

Not sure if Spags is young enough for today's defensive tasks and offensive schemes
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:06 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He’s not good, but he doesn’t suck either.

He’s average, which is nice on a rookie contract, but with his height and the amount of flags he draws, he’s not going to be worth what he gets on the open market.

The guys played on an island all year essentially as our #1 corner. He was targeted more than anybody in the league because of that along with the fact that teams threw the ball a ton against us (not to mention we played some damn good offenses and QB’s). It was also his first year playing outside in the NFL. We were asking way too much of him. He’s not that guy. He could’ve been a solid #2 this year with more talent around him.

It’s easy to only remember the bad, but there was more good in there than most of you believe or care to admit. If there weren’t that completion % and QBR when thrown at would be MUCH worse. The way CP talks about him his PFF grade would be terrible. I’ve said it before but if you are constantly getting beat your PFF grade will reflect that. Was he as good as his grade would lead you to believe? No, of course not. It’s somewhere in between where I’ve been pointing at all along.
nah, man. He's a decent 4th corner, with a ceiling of a mediocre 3rd/slot guy.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 03:07 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
According to that article that was recently posted we can cut him and save 9 mil in cap space, right?
They’re pretty well screwed on that end as far as I can tell. If Berry has heel surgery, he won’t be able to pass a physical by March when a huge chunk of his salary becomes guaranteed.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:07 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't think either side really has leverage over the other. The Chiefs save a lot by cutting him, but he could still get plenty and still play for a contender like the Texans or Packers who both could use Houston.
But that couldn't happen unless the Chiefs cut him. And his open market value is way cheaper than his current contract. So if all the Chiefs have to do is outbid his market value, they still save a lot on the overall contract (if he wants to stay, he'll take a hometown discount). All while saving a shitload in year 1. Houston's at an age where I'm sure he'd rather get a guaranteed contract he can play out until retirement. I'm sure before we hit that point the Chiefs will plan to either renegotiate his current deal or just let him loose. I don't see them paying him full price if they're confident he's in their long term plans.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:08 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
They’re pretty well screwed on that end as far as I can tell. If Berry has heel surgery, he won’t be able to pass a physical by March when a huge chunk of his salary becomes guaranteed.
asking a serious question-
Isn't this a non-football injury and therefore that guarantee is null and void?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:09 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
According to that article that was recently posted we can cut him and save 9 mil in cap space, right?
Yeah, but the kicker is we pay a LOT of dead money. But I guess if we're not sure he's going to even play, then we're paying "dead money" anyway.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:09 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
nah, man. He's a decent 4th corner, with a ceiling of a mediocre 3rd/slot guy.
Lol ok.

He’s about to get paid like a #2 corner, but he’s a backup in league just full of good corners. Gotcha.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:10 PM 01-25-2019
He’s not good, but he doesn’t suck either.

He’s average, which is nice on a rookie contract, but with his height and the amount of flags he draws, he’s not going to be worth what he gets on the open market.

The guys played on an island all year essentially as our #1 corner. He was targeted more than anybody in the league because of that along with the fact that teams threw the ball a ton against us (not to mention we played some damn good offenses and QB’s). It was also his first year playing outside in the NFL. We were asking way too much of him. He’s not that guy. He could’ve been a solid #2 this year with more talent around him.

It’s easy to only remember the bad, but there was more good in there than most of you believe or care to admit. If there weren’t that completion % and QBR when thrown at would be MUCH worse. The way CP talks about him his PFF grade would be terrible. I’ve said it before but if you are constantly getting beat your PFF grade will reflect that. Was he as good as his grade would lead you to believe? No, of course not. It’s somewhere in between where I’ve been pointing at all along.
Nelson is really the victim of being targeted so much. He had a good stop rate, but because he was targeted so damn much the cameras also caught him giving up catches a lot.

He's an average player that sometimes has a total breakdown for one reason or another. I think they got their value from him at that draft slot and I'd probably leave it at that with him and let him sign a big deal somewhere else.

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
But that couldn't happen unless the Chiefs cut him. And his open market value is way cheaper than his current contract. So if all the Chiefs have to do is outbid his market value, they still save a lot on the overall contract (if he wants to stay, he'll take a hometown discount). All while saving a shitload in year 1. Houston's at an age where I'm sure he'd rather get a guaranteed contract he can play out until retirement. I'm sure before we hit that point the Chiefs will plan to either renegotiate his current deal or just let him loose. I don't see them paying him full price if they're confident he's in their long term plans.
His cap figure is where it's at today in large because of restructures into a bonus and kicking his can down the road. Looking at OTC right now, he has a base of 15.2 for 2019 and I think he wouldn't struggle to match that in an open market where all the top edge guys aren't on it.

He would definitely get a figure way North of what his base would be if the Chiefs were to cut his salary enough to have a comfortable cap charge this season. That's without beginning to even factor in, what if he doesn't translate well in the change? A down year and flipping over to the wrong side of 30 would be a crusher when the Chiefs release him next year, which would be a total lock in any situation sans an extension.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:11 PM 01-25-2019
Nelson is really the victim of being targeted so much. He had a good stop rate, but because he was targeted so damn much the cameras also caught him giving up catches a lot.

He's an average player that sometimes has a total breakdown for one reason or another. I think they got their value from him at that draft slot and I'd probably leave it at that with him and let him sign a big deal somewhere else.
I completely agree with this post.

That must make you a homer :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:14 PM 01-25-2019
I completely agree with this post.

That must make you a homer :-)
well, I mean if you played him inside only in a primarily zone scheme so he's got everything in front of him, he might be okay. Don't ask him to turn and run with receivers.

He might get #2 money and play that position for someone but he ain't gonna light the league on fire.
[Reply]
New World Order 03:14 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I hate Eric Berry
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:17 PM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
well, I mean if you played him inside only in a primarily zone scheme so he's got everything in front of him, he might be okay. Don't ask him to turn and run with receivers.

He might get #2 money and play that position for someone but he ain't gonna light the league on fire.
Like, nobody is saying the dude is going to light the world on fire. At all.

He's not completely helpless and the FA class for guys that can play outside and play 16 games is very dire. Anyone who doesn't think he's at least getting 12m avg over multiple years and a starting job outside is kidding themselves.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:21 PM 01-25-2019
Like, nobody is saying the dude is going to light the world on fire. At all.

He's not completely helpless and the FA class for guys that can play outside and play 16 games is very dire. Anyone who doesn't think he's at least getting 12m avg over multiple years and a starting job outside is kidding themselves.
Wow. No fuckin' way I'd do that, but if you're right I'll stand corrected. Won't be the first time, but I think he's fairly lousy. I know the stats, I just don't see it. Like, do they factor in the PI calls into that?

Anyway, don't care, he's likely gone, and it'll be interesting to see where he lands and for how much.
[Reply]
Page 60 of 324
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Up