ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 324
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:49 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Kill me all y’all want but a hire of someone who was the DC over the worst NFL defense in history, context be damned, the WORST DEFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL

Let that sink in, couple that with a fundamental scheme change to 4-3....

I’m not excited, I pray I’m wrong. But nothing in Spags history points to anything but next year being the same without pass rush. We have to hit on all our draft picks and FA just to have a chance to be middle of pack.
Shut down Tom Brady in the Superbowl during his best season in the NFL. Extremely impressive, no matter how far back that was.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:49 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
1. Restructure Houston's contract.
2. Tag and trade Ford.
3. Cut Ragland, Sorensen and Murray.
4. Draft: Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State, Germaine Pratt, LB, N.C. State and Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware in the first two rounds.

Speaks - Nnadi - Jones - Houston
DOD - Pratt - Hitchens
Fuller - Berry/Lucas - Adderley/Watts - Oruwariye
No one is going to trade for ford, it’s not happening
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:50 PM 01-24-2019
That's a pretty atrocious hire, and it cements Veach as Reid's stooge. Reid's myopia for his old buddies is going to hold the whole team back.
[Reply]
JakeF 05:50 PM 01-24-2019
The first indicator about the status quo is if Spagnuolo keeps most of our existing coaches. Giving all the coach speak about how good they are and how they can handle any scheme. That means Reid talked to him about it because he wanted a DC who would keep everything close to the same as it was.

I will be shocked if Britt Reid still isn't coaching for us next year.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 05:51 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Shut down Tom Brady in the Superbowl during his best season in the NFL. Extremely impressive, no matter how far back that was.
13 years and 8 years ago respectively......
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:52 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by JakeF:
The first indicator about the status quo is if Spagnuolo keeps most of our existing coaches. Giving all the coach speak about how good they are and how they can handle any scheme. That means Reid talked to him about it because he wanted a DC who would keep everything close to the same as it was.

I will be shocked if Britt Reid still isn't coaching for us next year.
Who gives a shit if Britt Reid is still here? Jones, Bailey, and Nnadi weren't THAT bad. ILBs and DBs were far worse.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:52 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Nothing? Like the rings that he has or the time when he had a top 10 defense? Nothing?
But but but he had talent! :-)

It’s only impressive if you don’t, yet it’s impossible to do it without it.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:53 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
There's just no way our D can be worse at game winning/losing/tying drives in the 4th Q than they were under Sutton. It's impossible.

And it also filters down to the position coaches. Our technique is bad, our recognition is bad, our tactics are bad. Some of that isn't Sutton's direct responsibility. But quality control is. And teaching - which apparently he gave up on a long time ago.

New blood + not old and braindead = I expect better things.
And yet Spags routinely coached D's that were worse.
[Reply]
bricks 05:53 PM 01-24-2019
To me, I interpret this hire as a nice breath of fresh air.

Some ppl think Spags is Sutton 2.0.

I'll say this, Spags isn't passive and don't coach like a pussy like Sutton does. At least he is aggressive and will try to attack the opposing offense unlike grandpa Bob who trembles in fear and is afraid to give up the big plays. Im sick of the prevent and 3 man rush and DB's playing off rather than pressing. I think we'll see less of that with Spags.

I remembered with the Giants, Spags ran and emphasized on a blitz heavy scheme which is totally Anti-Sutton. it's about time we get aggressive rather than passive. Im at least looking forward to us attacking more as a defense. That'll be nice to see.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:53 PM 01-24-2019
Defense hasn't taken snap #1 under this guy and you all already have him worse than Sutton.....:-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:54 PM 01-24-2019
I also wonder if spagnuolo will benefit from having an experienced head coach. Thing about players coaches is sometimes they don't manage players well. Romeo coordinates a really disciplined defense, but hes too nice of a guy to manage them. It's possible spagnuolo has some Romeo in him. Couldn't manage his own team, couldn't manage dysfunctional locker rooms under Joe vitt and Ben mcadoo. But he seemed fine under Coughlin. He definitely won't have to worry about that under Reid.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:54 PM 01-24-2019
13 years and 8 years ago respectively......
What? Super Bowl XLII was played in 2008. Don't even know where you're getting that math from.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:55 PM 01-24-2019

Trashing the Spags hire before the offseason pans out is a bad take. The name isn’t as sexy as Rex Ryan, but 4-3, blitz-heavy is the anti-Bob Sutton. This is what most fans have been asking for, by my gauge.

— Pete Sweeney (@pgsween) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
FringeNC 05:55 PM 01-24-2019
No one is going to trade for ford, it’s not happening
I guess it's possible you could get a 6th or 7th rounder for him, but yeah, nobody is giving up significant draft picks for a player you have to turn around and pay market value wage unless it's a QB.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:55 PM 01-24-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Who gives a shit if Britt Reid is still here?
Andy Reid, his father, the man in charge in KC.......
[Reply]
Page 14 of 324
« First < 41011121314 151617182464114 > Last »
Up