ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 63
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
keg in kc 01:05 PM 11-01-2020
Wasn't she announced as part of the Section 31 spin-off?

Either they go back to their timeline or she starts a new version in the future.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:06 PM 11-01-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Watch it for Pike and Spock if nothing else. Especially Pike.
agreed. Last year when Pike got more involved in the series, it took off on the quality.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:57 PM 11-02-2020

[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:39 AM 12-15-2020
I finally got around to watching Season 2 of Discovery after being so annoyed by Season 1 that I took a serious break from it.

It was better. Still not great and full of bad writing choices/decisions, but there were some good episodes early in the season like the one dealing with the human community out on a planet in the middle of nowhere and those dealing with Saru's character development on his own world). The early season intrigue re the "Red Angel" didn't really pay off in the end and it kind of dissolved into pure good v. evil mindless action in the final third but at least it didn't annoy the hell out of me like S1's final few episodes.

Pike/Spock were truly the best part of the season, though, so I'm reluctant to start watching S3 when I know they're no longer on the cast.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:49 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Kirk would have died at least a dozen times if not for Spock. It was usually the two of them working in tandem that defeated whatever was opposing them. Burnham is like a Kirk/Spock combination that can solve any problem after everyone else gives up and she has a good cry about it.

As for Tilly, she's bad, but I loathe Stamets. He's the Jar Jar of Star Trek.
I'll take Stamets over Ash Tyler. What a waste of space his character was in those two seasons.

Not counting Spock/Pike, I think the only one on the regular cast now (first 2 seasons) who doesn't annoy me to some degree is Saru (especially post losing his ganglia). Burnham might be next (which says a ton about the other options) but she's so melodramatic about everything and Martin-Green has a tendency to over act (maybe she's being asked to, but it's too much). I have a feeling S3 is gonna be a tough watch.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:11 AM 12-15-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I'll take Stamets over Ash Tyler. What a waste of space his character was in those two seasons.

Not counting Spock/Pike, I think the only one on the regular cast now (first 2 seasons) who doesn't annoy me to some degree is Saru (especially post losing his ganglia). Burnham might be next (which says a ton about the other options) but she's so melodramatic about everything and Martin-Green has a tendency to over act (maybe she's being asked to, but it's too much). I have a feeling S3 is gonna be a tough watch.
I have tried watching episodes of season three but it was just too much. It's horrible. There is an eventful reunion (don't wanna spoil) and they spend a chunk of the end of one episode dealing with it...then they spend the first 10 or so dragging minutes of the next episode dealing with it again. I mean they all stand around and emote for 10 minutes. Fucking awful. I gave up.
[Reply]
Jamie 02:59 AM 12-15-2020
Yeah, I've stuck through the season so far, but I'm ready to give up. Sending them to the future seemed like a good idea, but the show is somehow worse now than it's ever been.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:08 AM 12-15-2020
Honestly the end of S2 felt like they almost wrote it as a series finale (maybe in case they were cancelled?). Sounds like that would have been the better choice.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:52 AM 12-15-2020
I somehow got through the first episode of Season 3, but only made it a few minutes into the second episode before bailing.

I just hate the entire crew. It's almost like they were specifically created to make me hate them. Fuck this show. I'd sooner watch Lynch's Dune and Phantom Menace back-to-back before enduring another second of this shit.

Holding out for Pike, and I guess the next season of Picard, which isn't great but is exponentially better than Discovery.
[Reply]
listopencil 04:29 AM 12-15-2020
The Captain Pike, Spock, and Number One thing was pretty much spot on. The modern version of the ol' Enterprise was an understandable upgrade (even though it annoys me) because the TOS set was done more like an old teleplay. Lots of empty space and not much money. So I'm picking nits to complain about the look especially since everything else was really great. Unfortunately that little bright spot of everything seeming so right just made Discovery seem even more wrong by comparison.
[Reply]
listopencil 04:33 AM 12-15-2020
I somehow got through the first episode of Season 3, but only made it a few minutes into the second episode before bailing.

I just hate the entire crew. It's almost like they were specifically created to make me hate them. Fuck this show. I'd sooner watch Lynch's Dune and Phantom Menace back-to-back before enduring another second of this shit.

Holding out for Pike, and I guess the next season of Picard, which isn't great but is exponentially better than Discovery.
ST:-)isco is shit. It's just fucking garbage. They're rolling out every cliche and every trope and every tired premise ever excreted onto a TV screen while the entire cast just stands around and cries.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:49 PM 12-15-2020
There have been cool moments scattered throughout (Voyager-J, USS Nog, Book's ship, going to Vulcan), but it's just not good no matter how shiny everything looks. And if they make The Burn out to be something that happens to Red Angel in transit trying to signal Spock, that will be some of the most unoriginal writing in Trek history, and that is saying something.
[Reply]
bowener 04:41 PM 12-16-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
There have been cool moments scattered throughout (Voyager-J, USS Nog, Book's ship, going to Vulcan), but it's just not good no matter how shiny everything looks. And if they make The Burn out to be something that happens to Red Angel in transit trying to signal Spock, that will be some of the most unoriginal writing in Trek history, and that is saying something.
The moment they mentioned the Terran Empire in Season 3, and that fucking painfully stupid scene where hammy evil girl blinks her fuckings eyes and breaks tech from 900 years in her future FUCK! Anyway, I assumed that the Terran Empire would be the cause of the burn by trying to invade the prime universe.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bowser 04:57 PM 12-16-2020

(just watched the latest episode, can confirm)
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:55 PM 12-17-2020

I think it would be a hell of a lot better without Burnham. I didn't mind her character as much in previous seasons, but she is incredibly annoying thus far. The whole "I know better than everyone" has always been there, but has been amped up to 15 in season 3. I think I've made it to episode 7, but only by sheer perseverance.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 63
« First < 354142434445 4647484955 > Last »
Up