ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 413 of 3903
« First < 313363403409410411412413 4144154164174234635139131413 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
wazu 09:17 AM 03-18-2020
Didn't see this mentioned yesterday, but sounds like "Type A" blood is now being called out as a risk factor: https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/people...s-study-finds/
[Reply]
stumppy 09:18 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
I have to admit as a guy who just turned 56 and is a former smoker I am getting a bit nervous.... I was under the opinion that I should just get it and get it over with but now... ???
Same here. About all we can do is take precautions against being exposed to it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:21 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Aren't they pretty much packed as is?
Of course but 90% are non-critical patients.

We need to think out of the box. It's a nation wide crisis. We should just delay non-life threatening surgeries and treatment that take up beds in the hospitals. The civilian hospitals could pledge to help get the vets back on track with their treatments and recovery after the crisis is over.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 09:25 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Can I use my CPAP as a respirator?? :-)
I remember reading a story about the Seattle nursing care facility that had all the problems early on and they said that they had used CPAP and nebulizers to assist breathing and all it ended up doing was aerosolizing the virus which is why so many got so sick.

Can’t vouch for such a conclusion beyond being what one of the medical people who work their said (the closest I’ve gotten to a CPAP are those William Shatner commercials so I have no clue if such a thing is likely or even possible).
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:28 AM 03-18-2020
There is a "defense production act" that allows the president to order a factory to build in this case ventilators or increase production. The government could step in right now and increase the production of ventilators in the USA. If only one makes it into a hospital during the crisis, it'd be worth it.

I think most will agree that America should have the capacity to build this life saving machines anyway. This wont be the last time we face a pandemic.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:28 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
You have bald eagles out there?

That's freaking cool as hell!
At least 6 nesting pairs that we’ve found.

Yeah they are awesome to watch
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:29 AM 03-18-2020
Minor thought that I don't think has been covered yet.

If they're expecting half or more to get the virus, and most of those will recover. Those people will be immune and not contagious, right? Or am I missing something? If so, it seems like they could get back on track and get the economy moving again. Go on cruises, go on flights, whatever you want, right?

But how do you know if someone has recovered? Maybe you could get a government card or something if you've been definitively diagnosed, but if you haven't (and most people haven't), is there any way to retroactively test whether you had it and recovered?
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:30 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Go wwii and have some of these other manufacturing companies here start making respirators
I didn't catch the whole story, but on the news this morning they were talking about having the automobile manufacturers helping out with this.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:35 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
Well, the Govt has to draw a line in the sand somewhere, we could argue all day where it should be at. Everyone has a violin story of sorrow and woe even people that make decent money.
Granted, on the surface $65k is actually generous considering (I believe) the median household income is closer to $50k... I'd think there's more creative solutions. After all, they have to have all kinds of stats down to the zip code to determine such things.

Or other solutions that aren't just handing over money (tax relief, loan relief, etc.).
[Reply]
wazu 09:37 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Granted, on the surface $65k is actually generous considering (I believe) the median household income is closer to $50k... I'd think there's more creative solutions. After all, they have to have all kinds of stats down to the zip code to determine such things.

Or other solutions that aren't just handing over money (tax relief, loan relief, etc.).
One other idea is to maybe not order the complete shutdown of the entire economy.
[Reply]
LTL 09:38 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Talked to my Respiratory Therapists buddies yesterday. The USA companies and the government waited too long and cant buy more ventilators any time soon. Other countries have over 100K ventilators on order in front of us. The hospitals were told what we have is it for the crisis. Thats why the military announced their 2000 ventilators can be used by the civilian hospitals.

I guess we could bribe some countries to give us their order but if their citizens found out you sold out their citizens for money.....
If we run we out we out we use a Vortran. Single patient use disposable. Have used one for transport. We have a couple old birds that we could use as well. If it came to it we might to resort to that.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:38 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Minor thought that I don't think has been covered yet.

If they're expecting half or more to get the virus, and most of those will recover. Those people will be immune and not contagious, right? Or am I missing something? If so, it seems like they could get back on track and get the economy moving again. Go on cruises, go on flights, whatever you want, right?

But how do you know if someone has recovered? Maybe you could get a government card or something if you've been definitively diagnosed, but if you haven't (and most people haven't), is there any way to retroactively test whether you had it and recovered?
Three novel variables that need clarfication, authoritative instruction.

1. Longer asymptomatic carrier status.
2. Anecdotes of recurrence in the recovered
and related
3. No data on whether weathering a bout lends immunity going forward.

ALSO, the details are sketchy at this point regarding how climate conditions affect.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:38 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I remember reading a story about the Seattle nursing care facility that had all the problems early on and they said that they had used CPAP and nebulizers to assist breathing and all it ended up doing was aerosolizing the virus which is why so many got so sick.

Can’t vouch for such a conclusion beyond being what one of the medical people who work their said (the closest I’ve gotten to a CPAP are those William Shatner commercials so I have no clue if such a thing is likely or even possible).
Thats a total BS story. We shouldn't be scaring people from using their CPAP or inhalers.

CPAP just blows air into your lungs. Same air that's already in the patients lungs and in the ambient air. Nursing home patient is already inhaling and exhaling that air, no different from us. But, without CPAP, no stage III sleep, a compromised elderly patient in a nursing home could die in days.

Now, if you dont clean the CPAP tubing, you can get all kinds of bugs in it that will cause you to get infections. But that true with all the Planeteers on here using CPAP too. If they are confirmed to have the virus, just treat it as an infected area.

Nebulizers are used by people with COPD and Asthma to breathe in medicine that has been broken down into a mist that it crosses over into your blood stream faster. The patient gets more relief faster. Again, the patient is exhaling their own air anyway.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:39 AM 03-18-2020
If I hear/read 'unprecedented' one more time..
[Reply]
LTL 09:42 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:

We had a patient that was suspected of it and instead of nebs we did inhalers.
[Reply]
Page 413 of 3903
« First < 313363403409410411412413 4144154164174234635139131413 > Last »
Up