ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 15
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Cutting Cable.
Dunit35 01:17 PM 12-19-2018
I know there are already several threads but I’m adding to it.

Our DTV bill is about to go up $60 a month to $133. We’re looking at cutting cable. We’d like to add Hulu live TV, netflix, and MLB.TV. I know I can stream all three through my Xbox. It looks like I won’t have AMC, NFL Network or NBC. NFL Network I can stream the Thursday night games through my xbox.

How is the quality? We have to upgrade our internet to unlimited for an extra $20/month. Provider said we’d also get faster speeds.
Does anyone have MLB.Tv and use it through your Xbox?
What about DVR services?

It looks like I can get all three for around $64 a month.
[Reply]
Fish 01:26 PM 12-19-2018
Quality depends on what you're watching. Normally nothing below 720p.
You absolutely don't have to upgrade your internet. Providers will tell you if they know you're going digital, just to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. I highly recommend sticking with your current plan and testing that out with the new services before bothering with upgrading your internet. If it turns out to be slow, you can always upgrade later, and that's something they just switch on their end it doesn't cost anything.
I've not used MLB.tv in a long time, and when I did it wasn't Xbox. Not sure about that.
Hulu with LiveTV comes with an online DVR service. But it's only 50hrs worth. They keep it low because for an extra $15 you can upgrade to unlimited DVR. HuluTV also limits the number of streams to 2 at a time, so keep that in mind. You can upgrade that as well for another extra fee. Hulu kind of nickel and dimes you like that.
[Reply]
Dunit35 01:29 PM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
Quality depends on what you're watching. Normally nothing below 720p.
You absolutely don't have to upgrade your internet. Providers will tell you if they know you're going digital, just to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. I highly recommend sticking with your current plan and testing that out with the new services before bothering with upgrading your internet.
I've not used MLB.tv in a long time, and when I did it wasn't Xbox. Not sure about that.
Hulu with LiveTV comes with an online DVR service. But it's only 50hrs worth. They keep it low because for an extra $15 you can upgrade to unlimited DVR. HuluTV also limits the number of streams to 2 at a time, so keep that in mind. You can upgrade that as well for another extra fee. Hulu kind of nickel and dimes you like that.
Thanks. We only have one tv and don’t really stream stuff on our devices. Our girls stick to YouTube.

As far as upgrading internet. We’ve bn warned a couple times that we’re close to being over our limit. We have a low package since we don’t stream much now. Provider said it’s $20 more for unlimited.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 01:38 PM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
Thanks. We only have one tv and don’t really stream stuff on our devices. Our girls stick to YouTube.

As far as upgrading internet. We’ve bn warned a couple times that we’re close to being over our limit. We have a low package since we don’t stream much now. Provider said it’s $20 more for unlimited.
Be prepared to pay extra, either now (for the unlimited) or in the near future. The repeal of the net neutrality act was not a good thing for consumers, ISP's can change their pricing model to whatever they want. You want to stream video? new video package pricing. want youtube and facebook, twitter, etc? social media package. I know it seems far fetched, and some ISP's said they would NOT be doing this, but they can deep packet inspect and throttle accordingly to get you to pay more.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:42 PM 12-19-2018
The only way you'd have to upgrade your internet is the amount of people you have.

When we cut cable I had 4 teenagers, I had to upgrade my speed because 6 people pulling shit at once is impossible if you have a low speed especially when several of those people are streaming/gaming/downloading.

As far as internet limit goes, I have to pay to be uncapped because I am always over the limit but I'll ask this. Do you download a lot of things? If you have like PS plus and Xbox live and download games or just buy games digital in general that will kill your usage numbers. And if you stream in 4k that'll jump you up too.

Oldest son went to college and our daughter moved out and that made my average monthly usage go down but I'm still over the cap. I use to average about 3500 gigs a month now it's at about 2200, limit is 1024.

It's going to depend a lot on people and what you do. I work from home as well, and kids use a ton of net. If you don't have kids and no one is home all day you're usage will be way less.
[Reply]
Dunit35 02:16 PM 12-19-2018
We use YouTube and I watch prime a lot of nights. There’s four of us with two being 6-3.

I checked MLB.TV and I cant get Royals games in Oklahoma. Says it’s blacked out. You’d think I would get FSKC for free if they considered me regional.

I called DTV and they could lower my bill $133-$92.

Now, if I can figure out how to watch Royals games on my TV I’d go ahead and cancel DTV.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:31 PM 12-19-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
We use YouTube and I watch prime a lot of nights. There’s four of us with two being 6-3.

I checked MLB.TV and I cant get Royals games in Oklahoma. Says it’s blacked out. You’d think I would get FSKC for free if they considered me regional.

I called DTV and they could lower my bill $133-$92.

Now, if I can figure out how to watch Royals games on my TV I’d go ahead and cancel DTV.
Google Reddit MLB streams. I'm sure they're out there. I've watched the Chiefs on Reddit streams this season when the game hasn't been televised and I haven't had any issues.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 05:11 PM 12-19-2018
Do. It.

Youtube.tv is $40 and covers pretty much everything. We also switched to T-Mobile, which included Netflix. We pay $10 for Hulu, which is worth it, and also have Amazon Prime. That pretty much covers streaming.

If you live outside of the KC area and want to watch Chiefs games not provided in your region, check out Reddit. All streams are linked there.

Fuck cable companies and the :-) they rode in on :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:14 PM 12-19-2018
That's odd that MLB.tv is blacked out. Generally, if you're blacked out on MLB.tv, that should indicate that you would get FSKC as part of your regional sports package.

But yeah, reddit is a solid option if nothing else.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:17 PM 12-19-2018
I was able to stream almost every St Louis Cardinals game in HD quality through Reddit last year, so baseball shouldn’t be a concern.
[Reply]
Popularring 04:45 AM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
I was able to stream almost every St Louis Cardinals game in HD quality through Reddit last year, so baseball shouldn’t be a concern.
+1
[Reply]
cabletech94 05:42 AM 12-20-2018
you keep the hell away from me!!!
[Reply]
Dunit35 01:40 PM 12-20-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
That's odd that MLB.tv is blacked out. Generally, if you're blacked out on MLB.tv, that should indicate that you would get FSKC as part of your regional sports package.

But yeah, reddit is a solid option if nothing else.
One would think. I pay $15 monthly for FSKC on my DTV. I get FSsouth with my regional channels.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 01:07 AM 12-29-2018
I cut the cord in 2018 and have been very happy with the result. I use Firestick to stream on 3 TV's. We have an antenna in the attic for locals. I recently added the firetv recast, which is a DVR for my locals. I ran the antenna to it, ran a channel scan, and connected it with my Firestick. Now, I get my locals anywhere that I have a Firestick, plus I get the guide and DVR ability. As far as my streaming services, I use DirecTV Now for most of my viewing. I have Amazon Prime, so I get all of their stuff. I also have Netflix and am trying out Hulu. I get pretty much everything that I had with DirecTV for a lot less money. I also have CBS all access and a VPN. With the VPN, I can select a KC IP address and get KC programming. That may work for your Royals games. I haven't tried that. But, if your streaming service thinks that you're in KC, then you should be able to get KC version of Fox Sports.
[Reply]
redfan 04:35 PM 12-29-2018
We use a firestick for Netflix and Sling. Get the sports packages, and watch whatever events you want.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 15
1 234511 > Last »
Up