ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 62
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
Loneiguana 08:33 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Sanderson has become my favorite author. I'm on my third re-read of the Wheel of Time books and just got to Sanderson's first. Nothing against Robert Jordan at all, but man...Sanderson knows how to write a climax like none other.
The only thing I was disappointed with in WOT and Sanderson, and I don't know if I can blame this on Sanderson at all, was the lack of conclusion to the Seanchan.

Hey, you get to meet Artur Hawkwing and then... nothing.

I didn't expect everything to be wrapped up, but not knowing what happens with the Seanchan really bugged me.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:03 AM 06-15-2016
I like everything Sanderson has done, but I thought he completely missed the voices of the characters in WoT, particularly the women. To the point where I couldn't read the last three books a second time.

He's come a long way since then, though. While I liked his early stuff like elantris and mistborn, words of radiance was just on another level. Can't wait for Oathbringer.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:38 AM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I like everything Sanderson has done, but I thought he completely missed the voices of the characters in WoT, particularly the women. To the point where I couldn't read the last three books a second time.

He's come a long way since then, though. While I liked his early stuff like elantris and mistborn, words of radiance was just on another level. Can't wait for Oathbringer.
Yeah, I definitely understand that. Mat, to me, was a VERY different character under Sanderson, and I wasn't a fan of that. The girls were different, but I personally thought that was an improvement, so that didn't bother me. the biggest thing for me was that suddenly a sense of urgency and action returned to the series (by necessity), which was refreshing.

I definitely agree that he's gotten a lot better in the last decade or so. Stormlight is just incredible - that's a series I could see re-reading with each new release even if it takes another 15 years for him to wrap it all up.
[Reply]
unlurking 10:18 PM 06-17-2016
... - that's a series I could see re-reading with each new release even if it takes another 15 years for him to wrap it all up.
Careful what you wish for. I said that about a Song of Ice and Fire almost 20 year ago.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:40 AM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Careful what you wish for. I said that about a Song of Ice and Fire almost 20 year ago.
Yeah, it's always a concern, but Sanderson is WAY more methodical than GRRM. GRRM has a general goal in mind, but he's more of an exploratory writer that just kind of sees where the characters take him as he writes. Sanderson is an architect who has everything pretty much planned out in advance and just has to find the time to write it up.

Also, with Stormlight, he's structuring it as two 5-book sets, so there will be at least SOME closure before he gets through all 10 of them. Add that to the fact that Sanderson writes INSANELY fast compared to just about anyone else out there, and I'm not too worried that this will turn into another ASOIF.
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 08:58 AM 06-18-2016
Any book from David Gemmell gets a thumbs up.. especially ones involving Druss, Skilgannon, and Waylander.

John Steakley's ARMOR was also an excellent read.
[Reply]
unlurking 10:40 AM 06-18-2016
Yeah, it's always a concern, but Sanderson is WAY more methodical than GRRM. GRRM has a general goal in mind, but he's more of an exploratory writer that just kind of sees where the characters take him as he writes. Sanderson is an architect who has everything pretty much planned out in advance and just has to find the time to write it up.

Also, with Stormlight, he's structuring it as two 5-book sets, so there will be at least SOME closure before he gets through all 10 of them. Add that to the fact that Sanderson writes INSANELY fast compared to just about anyone else out there, and I'm not too worried that this will turn into another ASOIF.
I never finished WOT, as I was not inclined to read through it a 3rd time when Sanderson picked it up. I will likely never finish ASOIF as I'm not prepared to read through it a 4th time. Loved the original Mistborn, and looking forward to finishing the series when he finishes it.

Stormlight looks really good, but there is no way I am starting a 10 book series at book 1. I'll wait until it's finished, or check it out after the first act of book 5. Thanks to Jordan & GRRM, that's kind of my MO now for reading. Wasn't like that when I was younger. :-)
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:53 PM 06-18-2016
I got burned by Robert Jordan and George Martin and haven't ever finished or caught up on either series. They inspired my new rule (like 10 or 15 years ago) that I don't start reading any series of books unless all the books are already out.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:33 PM 07-03-2016
Has anyone ever given The Cthuhlu Wars series a shot? Supposedly it's based off some board game, maybe?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:14 AM 07-04-2016
Anyone read The Red Queen's War trilogy?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:43 PM 09-28-2016
I finally picked up Way of Kings and good Lord this book is thick. It had better be worth it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:01 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Anyone read The Red Queen's War trilogy?
I have not read The Wheel of Osheim yet, but I thought Prince of Fools and The Liar's Key were both better than anything in his Broken Empire trilogy (which is very good...).

Read that trilogy first if you haven't already. Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns and Emperor of Thorns.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:02 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I finally picked up Way of Kings and good Lord this book is thick. It had better be worth it.
It's good. Words of Radiance (book 2...) is better. Oathbringer isn't out until at least next year, and the series is going to be at least ten novels long, so you have plenty of time.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:08 PM 09-28-2016
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I have not read The Wheel of Osheim yet, but I thought Prince of Fools and The Liar's Key were both better than anything in his Broken Empire trilogy (which is very good...).

Read that trilogy first if you haven't already. Prince of Thorns, King of Thorns and Emperor of Thorns.

I've already read Prince of Fools and am about to start The Liar's Key so is a bit late. Apparently that prior trilogy is set in the same universe?

Depending on how this trilogy plays out I may go back and read that one.

Issue is I have both Liar's Key and Way of Kings right now and am debating on whether I should finish the trilogy or start the Way of Kings.. decisions..
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:12 PM 09-28-2016
I know the logical choice but Way of Kings reviews have me pretty excited to start it.

I've been pretty devoid of fantastical worlds to immerse myself in with Game of Thrones on break and while the Red Queen books are good they're not great at world-building.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 62
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Up