ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 24
« First < 121819202122 2324 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck"
aturnis 07:45 AM 11-17-2017
Anyone watch the unveil last night?

The numbers on the semi destroyed what anyone thought possible.

- 0-60 in 5 sec
- 0-60 in 20 sec under max gross payload of 80k lbs
- 65mph up 5% grade under max lied, compared to 45mph for ICE semi
- 500 mile range
- 400 miles of additional range after 30 min charge
- Guaranteed 7¢/kWh fuel cost(solar) compared to volatile oil
- Nuclear explosion proof glass(apparently cracked windshield takes semi off road)
- 1 million mile guarantee it won't breakdown
- Will never need a brake change
- "Impossible" to jacknife
- Beats semis on economics day 1
- In convoy mode, beats rail on economics

300 miles of range: $150,000
500 miles of range: $180,000
Founders series: $200,000

https://youtu.be/CBTQnmUolas
The Roadster was a complete surprise, and the numbers given destroy any production car you can think of, even a Koenisegg.

- 0-60 in 1.9 sec (this is faster than most Formula 1 cars)
- 0-100 in 4.2
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 sec
- 250+ mph top speed
- 621 mile range (That's Kansas City to Denver without fueling)
- 10,000 nm torque

and that's the base model. Starting at $200k and Founders series at $250k. Destroys million dollar cars.

Also teased a rendering image of a consumer pickup truck with a normal truck in the bed.

https://youtu.be/5n9xafjynJA
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:27 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yeah, the credit probably had a more meaningful impact on sales of other EVs like the Nissan Leaf (the one I bought) and Chevy Bolt. With a price tag around $35k, that $7,500 is pretty significant. At a price point of $50k+, it makes less of a difference.
For sure.

Atlanta for awhile was the #1 market in the country for the Leaf cause you got a $7500 credit from the US gov't, and $5000 from the state. There was a 2 year window where people were basically leasing them for free, or in some cases getting paid to get one.

Dumb, but certainly had a huge effect on sales here.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:31 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
For sure.

Atlanta for awhile was the #1 market in the country for the Leaf cause you got a $7500 credit from the US gov't, and $5000 from the state. There was a 2 year window where people were basically leasing them for free, or in some cases getting paid to get one.

Dumb, but certainly had a huge effect on sales here.
Yep. Colorado has a $5k credit as well, and (after I'd already bought mine) our electric company is pitching in $3k on top of that. So you can walk out with a $35k car for $19,500. It's a pretty screaming deal when it comes down to it.
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:50 PM 08-07-2018
Yeah, the credit probably had a more meaningful impact on sales of other EVs like the Nissan Leaf (the one I bought) and Chevy Bolt. With a price tag around $35k, that $7,500 is pretty significant. At a price point of $50k+, it makes less of a difference.
You'd be surprised how much influence that savings has on folks with bank. Rich people don't stay rich by throwing money away.
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:54 PM 08-07-2018
Yep. Colorado has a $5k credit as well, and (after I'd already bought mine) our electric company is pitching in $3k on top of that. So you can walk out with a $35k car for $19,500. It's a pretty screaming deal when it comes down to it.
If the new Leaf coming with the 200 mile battery is available close to that price they'll sell as many as they can make there.

Georgia got rid of the credit so not as big of a deal here anymore. BUT you can get a used Leaf all day long for about $7500 here.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 01:55 PM 08-07-2018
Shit that is so tempting it’s crazy. If you pay cash do you get the rebates up front or do you have to wait for 6 months to get them?
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:56 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
Shit that is so tempting it’s crazy. If you pay cash do you get the rebates up front or do you have to wait for 6 months to get them?
It's a tax credit, so it's money you don't have to pay to the gov't in tax.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:02 PM 08-07-2018
Tesla suspended trading today? Musk saying he's going to take the stock off the exchanges and go private.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:21 PM 08-07-2018
It's a tax credit, so it's money you don't have to pay to the gov't in tax.
In Colorado at least, the state tax credit is given at the dealer as is the $3k rebate from Xcel. The federal tax credit has to be filed with your taxes as you said.

You do still pay sales tax on the full MSRP, so that adds back in a grand or two depending on your tax rate.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:24 PM 08-07-2018
If the new Leaf coming with the 200 mile battery is available close to that price they'll sell as many as they can make there.

Georgia got rid of the credit so not as big of a deal here anymore. BUT you can get a used Leaf all day long for about $7500 here.
I absolutely love the Leaf as a commuter car and would pay $7500 for it all day every day. It's primarily my wife's car, but it's super nice to never have to deal with oil changes and gas. I personally found them to be a little underpowered prior to the 2018 update (which is why we only bought ours this year), but they're still super convenient for short trips.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:27 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Tesla suspended trading today? Musk saying he's going to take the stock off the exchanges and go private.
Halted for an hour or so. Not entirely sure why. That would be up to the exchange rather than Tesla itself as far as I know.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:32 PM 08-07-2018
I didn’t know you bought a Leaf. Did you keep both the Subaru’s?
[Reply]
DaFace 02:34 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I didn’t know you bought a Leaf. Did you keep both the Subaru’s?
Yep, bought ours back in February as soon as the 2018's hit the lot. Traded in the wife's car, but kept mine.

I think it would be hard to have an EV-only household unless you never left town, but having one EV and one gas works great. We drive the Leaf around town and even around the Front Range, but we still have the Outback for ski days and longer road trips back home and such.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:19 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
I don't know that visionary needs to mean that the core of the idea is their own. He is pushing these ideas, where in some of the categories, nobody else was. These are all things that would likely happen at some point anyway, but pushing the world to see the events happen now or as soon as possible counts for something in my book.
He joined a fairly crowded field for private space launches. He wasn't the only one making batteries. China also has mega battery factories.

Credit for bringing the first all electric upscale sports car to market. Although given the huge amount of torque that electric motors can generate, I'm surprised it took so long.

And what else? A bunch of adolescent fantasies?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 03:21 PM 08-07-2018
Elon must be getting tired of answering to public investors.

Wonder where he is going to get the money to buy out stock holders at $420.

That is usually the sort of thing you do when your stock is in the tank. Not when you have a tiny car company with a market capitalization bigger than GM.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:07 PM 08-07-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Wonder where he is going to get the money to buy out stock holders at $420.

That is usually the sort of thing you do when your stock is in the tank. Not when you have a tiny car company with a market capitalization bigger than GM.
Outside investors.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 24
« First < 121819202122 2324 >
Up