ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 85 of 295
« First < 35758182838485 8687888995135185 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Clyde Edwards-Helaire Thread*****
Dante84 10:09 PM 04-23-2020
More to come! (I'll clean it up later - info dump into the OP)

(mod edit, all the goodness is in the spoiler tags)
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Easy 6 02:54 PM 05-18-2020
Those pass catching skillz looked pretty sweet...
[Reply]
RunKC 08:19 PM 05-18-2020
I’m convinced that Veach’s talk about not getting many yards on early downs to help our offense was directly linked to the 2018 Broncos game at Denver. Just watching this game and Kareem did so much to help our offense that game.

We were getting at least 4 yards a pop nearly every carry.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:33 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I’m convinced that Veach’s talk about not getting many yards on early downs to help our offense was directly linked to the 2018 Broncos game at Denver. Just watching this game and Kareem did so much to help our offense that game.

We were getting at least 4 yards a pop nearly every carry.
I LOVE CEH, but Veach could have kept Hunt.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 12:40 AM 05-19-2020
Getting yards on early downs is more 225ish banger back, hmmmm?
[Reply]
JakeF 12:44 AM 05-19-2020
Will CEH surpass 800 receiving yards 2020?
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:55 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell:
Getting yards on early downs is more 225ish banger back, hmmmm?
Just shut up.

That guy is gonna fumble his way out of the league.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:54 AM 05-20-2020

I've seen some worried about Clyde Edwards-Helaire's pass blocking ability, but the Chiefs were 28th in percentage of passes with an RB pass blocking (13%) last year. Not sure that's going to be a problem at all for CEH. Ke'Shawn Vaughn and Cam Akers will be tested more often. pic.twitter.com/qLRcyXEmao

— Hayden Winks (@HaydenWinks) May 15, 2020

[Reply]
staylor26 10:19 AM 05-20-2020
Not to mention CEH staying in to block often would be a waste of his talent.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:37 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Not to mention CEH staying in to block often would be a waste of his talent.
Eh.

If it gives Mahomes another 1/2 second to find Hill, Kelce, Watkins or Hardman, it's a fine use of your RB.

Ultimately I think the Chiefs kept their RBs out of pass blocking situations by necessity as much as design. They just weren't very good at it so why set them up to fail?

I'd like to see a significant improvement in what we've gotten there of late. If the dude isn't a credible threat as a pass blocker then you kinda have an idea what you'll need to do to address him. But if there's as good a chance that he'll stay in and block as there is that he'll go into the pattern, it makes you a little more reticent to blitz. And if that's going to be the case, he's gonna need to be a good run blocker.

But he's a sturdy guy who shouldn't lose the leverage battle often. He has enough mass and want to. The technique is easy enough to teach since you're really just trying to slow a guy up rather than stonewall him (JC was able to learn it and he's smaller than CEH and as sharp as a hammer).

I don't think there's any benefit to hand-waiving it. Predictability is a bad thing and if he's routinely out in the pattern because he's an unreliable blocker, that's just one more thing that DCs will be able to use as a static point when trying to gameplan.
[Reply]
O.city 10:42 AM 05-20-2020
It's something he'll just have to learn. I'm not too worried about it.

Andy's screen game is gonna be optimal with this dude. It's gonna be just hard a shit to handle. You can get Hill and Watkins and Hardman running everyone off to clear space and drop a screen right in behind them. That makes for an easy 15 yard gainer.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

Andy's screen game is gonna be optimal with this dude. It's gonna be just hard a shit to handle. You can get Hill and Watkins and Hardman running everyone off to clear space and drop a screen right in behind them. That makes for an easy 15 yard gainer.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm just saying we shouldn't just say it won't matter.

And yeah, I feel like we've shelved the RB screen game since we lost Charles. Even Hunt didn't seem to get all that much run there. And Andy is just a wizard when it comes to screen design.

He can do some really cool shit with the screen game and even that would be improved if you can put CEH having some nice pass rush reps on paper. If there's a higher chance of him staying in to block, then that delay he takes in the middle of the formation before sneaking out for an inside screen makes sense. You're not telegraphing it at that point and Mahomes can just flip that ball up and over the line with 15 yards of green and a convoy in front of CEH (because afterall, the rest of the weapons will mean you can't pack the box).
[Reply]
staylor26 10:47 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Eh.

If it gives Mahomes another 1/2 second to find Hill, Kelce, Watkins or Hardman, it's a fine use of your RB.

Ultimately I think the Chiefs kept their RBs out of pass blocking situations by necessity as much as design. They just weren't very good at it so why set them up to fail?

I'd like to see a significant improvement in what we've gotten there of late. If the dude isn't a credible threat as a pass blocker then you kinda have an idea what you'll need to do to address him. But if there's as good a chance that he'll stay in and block as there is that he'll go into the pattern, it makes you a little more reticent to blitz. And if that's going to be the case, he's gonna need to be a good run blocker.

But he's a sturdy guy who shouldn't lose the leverage battle often. He has enough mass and want to. The technique is easy enough to teach since you're really just trying to slow a guy up rather than stonewall him (JC was able to learn it and he's smaller than CEH and as sharp as a hammer).

I don't think there's any benefit to hand-waiving it. Predictability is a bad thing and if he's routinely out in the pattern because he's an unreliable blocker, that's just one more thing that DCs will be able to use as a static point when trying to gameplan.
I’m not saying don’t ever leave him in to block. I’m saying if you are leaving him in to block often it’s a waste of his talent. I don’t see how you can argue that it’s not.

I mean, look at the teams at the bottom of that list. Teams with good receiving backs like the Chiefs, Chargers, Texans etc. clearly agree.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:55 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I’m not saying don’t ever leave him in to block. I’m saying if you are leaving him in to block often it’s a waste of his talent. I don’t see how you can argue that it’s not.

I mean, look at the teams at the bottom of that list. Teams with good receiving backs like the Chiefs, Charger, Texans etc. clearly agree.
But nobody has the opportunity cost associated with a throw to the RB that the Chiefs do.

Any throw to CEH is at the expense of a target to a guy that's just more dangerous. And that's not a slight on CEH, it's a statement as to how dangerous the rest of the skill position players are. And frankly, those teams don't have nearly as important a guy to protect back there either. Not even the Texans (who are coached by a mouth-breathing idiot, so I'm not sure I'd lean to heavily into anything they do).

We had people advocating for a 1st round Center because "you have to protect the franchise!" - the idea being that anything to keep Mahomes upright is worthwhile. If keeping him in, say, 18-20% of the time yields a less predictable offense while getting Mahomes hit a couple times/gm less, I don't think that's a waste of his talent at all.

You're trading off some production from CEH in exchange for protecting your crown jewel and creating a little more production for higher efficiency downfield targets.

I don't think the Chiefs need to be leading the league there by any means, but I also don't think I want them in the bottom 1/3 either.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:33 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

I'm excited for the fake screens.

You know, where they are so worried about the dump off that the defense scrambles as Mahomes sets up for the drop off, only to pump fake and then look deep to Hardman or Tyreek.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:54 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Dante84:
I'm excited for the fake screens.

You know, where they are so worried about the dump off that the defense scrambles as Mahomes sets up for the drop off, only to pump fake and then look deep to Hardman or Tyreek.
Maybe I'm just drawing a blank, but does Andy run any type of fake screens? I don't remember seeing any.
[Reply]
Page 85 of 295
« First < 35758182838485 8687888995135185 > Last »
Up