ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which teammates (categorized by position) were most important for Pat’s early career?
QB (Alex Smith, Matt Moore, Chad Henne) 24 25.00%
RB (Kareem Hunt, Spencer Ware, Damien Williams) 0 0%
FB (The Sausage) 0 0%
TE (Travis Kelce) 36 37.50%
WR (Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Dieter) 22 22.92%
T (Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz) 11 11.46%
IOL (The Canadian Doctor, Austin Reuter, Wisniewski) 1 1.04%
The Big Ol’ Chili Dog 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Which offensive teammates were most important for Patrick’s early career?
Chiefspants 07:00 PM Yesterday
Watching Caleb Williams, Justin Fields, Bryce Young, Sam Darnold, et al struggle mightily in their early career has made me reflect on Patrick’s first three years with the Chiefs. I used to think the Legion of Zoom (and getting a rookie QB indulgence signing with Watkins) was the most important thing for him, but watching Patrick’s discomfort with his tackles the last two years has made think that Fish and Schwartz at the tackles may have been the most important teammates for Patrick, as they allowed him to take his 11 step drift backs to find Hill deep and he’s seldom been able to do that since.

So leaving coaches aside and being able to look back on a half decade of QB play, which teammates (categorized by position), do you think were most important for early career Patrick’s elite play?
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:08 PM Yesterday
This is a really great thread idea.

The tackles were instrumental. But even with them, PMII made his most famous regular season and SB throws under duress.

The bullet to Conley vs SF. The throw to Reek vs the Ravens with Judon bearing down on him. The WASP throw to Reek, he got hit pretty good on that too. But those were elite DL’s too.

In the end, for me? Reek. Kelce a very close second.
[Reply]
DRM08 07:12 PM Yesterday
I vote for Eric Fisher & Mitch Schwartz, but especially Fisher. It would be nice if Wanya Morris or Kingsley can provide stability at Left Tackle. Mahomes has been missing that stability for 4 years. Constant change at LT ever since Fisher’s injury. By comparison, Josh Allen has had a very durable LT protecting his blind side for 6+ years. I looked at New England and Brady had 10 years with one of his LT’s. 6+ years with the next guy as well. That’s a blessing.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 07:21 PM Yesterday
I don't think it is either or.

Great tackles. Great receiving duo of Travis/Hill.

Don't overlook fairly crappy defense that meant he was fully justified in having a gunslinger mentality.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 07:33 PM Yesterday
Half of CP still hates him for whatever reason, but it’s Alex Smith and it’s not particularly close. Pat has admitted as much multiple times.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:54 PM Yesterday
I know what it isn't. It definitely isn't Alex Smith
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 08:05 PM Yesterday
The OL teaching him to hate and frustrate Von Miller
[Reply]
tredadda 08:50 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Half of CP still hates him for whatever reason, but it’s Alex Smith and it’s not particularly close. Pat has admitted as much multiple times.
I was going to say something similar. Smith absolutely was critical to the success of a young/raw Mahomes.
[Reply]
kozzman555 08:53 PM Yesterday
Being able to sit behind Alex Smith and learn how to be a professional QB, giving him time to adjust to the NFL caliber players, and Andy Reid's playbook was absolutely instrumental to his future success. We've seen what happens when rookies who are clearly not ready are thrown in to the fire and what they look like when they lose their confidence, have that PTSD/shell shock look in their eyes. It's absolutely Alex Smith and not even close.
[Reply]
Bl00dyBizkitz 09:00 PM Yesterday
Jewish Rabbi and BWillie's posts back to back really got me. Someone should frame that or something.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:09 PM Yesterday
I voted tackles, but the real answer is Reid. Reid is an excellent teacher and a smart football guy.

Some of these sisterfuckers that know they can't block and still have these dudes doing 5 and 7 step drops only to get fucking dead are criminally bad.

Teaching and playcalling is far more critical to any one position group.
[Reply]
xztop123 09:19 PM Yesterday
Tackles. Mitch Schwartz was a historically good right tackle
[Reply]
philfree 09:37 PM Yesterday
I think the offense was overall set up perfectly for Mahomes when he became the starter. Seasoned vets across the board. And Alex Smith was the perfect tutor and of course Andy was the perfect coach for him. That said what Mahomes has done with the revolving door on the roster the last four years is pretty amazing.
[Reply]
dlphg9 09:53 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
This is the stupidest lie that constantly gets posted. The only thing Alex Smith did was prevent Patrick Mahomes from having the greatest rookie season in NFL history.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:04 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I vote for Eric Fisher & Mitch Schwartz, but especially Fisher. It would be nice if Wanya Morris or Kingsley can provide stability at Left Tackle. Mahomes has been missing that stability for 4 years. Constant change at LT ever since Fisher’s injury. By comparison, Josh Allen has had a very durable LT protecting his blind side for 6+ years. I looked at New England and Brady had 10 years with one of his LT’s. 6+ years with the next guy as well. That’s a blessing.
I’ve always thought Fish was a bit underappreciated by some in Kansas City. He had a tough time with fans coming in due to his draft position and his rough start in the league. Through his career he struggled against elite power rushers, something that reared its ugly head on a national stage in a couple of playoff games. With that said, he was solid in a position where solid is indispensable and provided Pro-Bowl quality play for PM15. Hell, I dream for either Wayna or Kingsley to get to Fish’s level someday.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up