ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>We gotta talk about this UDFA class.
KChiefs1 09:55 AM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

You're certifiable if you think that 7 UDFA's are going to make the 55 this season.

How many UDFA's have made the Chiefs roster their rookie seasons in the past decade?

I’m certifiable mofo!

This fucker is making the team!

https://youtu.be/nFqGkT6btGk
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:25 PM 05-13-2020
Maybe Wright?

He’s got the least amount of resistance ahead of him. He is basically a smaller Ragland, so if we lose Wilson or lose Gay and Wilson has to slide back over...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:29 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Maybe Wright?

He’s got the least amount of resistance ahead of him. He is basically a smaller Ragland, so if we lose Wilson or lose Gay and Wilson has to slide back over...
Wright also seems, in my INCREDIBLY poorly informed opinion, to play a simpler style that would translate more quickly than Gay's.

I don't think its likely, but Wright may hit the ground more NFL ready than Gay while Gay tries to knock off some rust and/or smooth out some of the rough edges in his game. He's still a little prone to wasted movement and false steps that make him play slower than his speed at times.

Wright is much more 'see ball, hit ball' in a way that lowers his ceiling but makes his floor a little higher out of the chute.

Ultimately they have a lot of capital in Gay so I'd be shocked if it worked out that way, but there's something to be noted in simplicity for young players.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:38 PM 05-13-2020
I think that’s fair. The job we’d be giving him would be a lot simpler than the job we’re giving Gay.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:38 AM 05-16-2020
This season, if played, will have an absolutely minimal amount of turnover for this Chiefs team for a few relevant reasons.

1. There will be extremely limited amounts of practice time leading up to the season.
2. The offense usually takes a year or 2 to get the playbook and sight adjustments down under normal conditions.
3. Spags defense is also complex and takes time to learn. I don’t think many rookies are going to jump into starting jobs when this defense was really gelling down the stretch and in the postseason.
4. We just won the Super Bowl and are returning most of the starters from a championship roster.

Rookies that I think will be starters within the first 8 games:

CEH
Gay
Possibly Niang at LG

I think everyone else gets a red shirt.
[Reply]
Wilson8 12:26 PM 05-16-2020
I think KC got some really good UDFA signings.

Brett Veach's use of guaranteed money was also interesting. You can tell some of the players the Chiefs really wanted by the guaranteed money amount.

WR Kalija Lipscomb, Vanderbilt, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

OT Yasir Durant, Missouri, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $140,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

C Darryl Williams, Mississippi State, $2,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Lavert Hill, Michigan, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

P Tommy Townsend, Florida, $2,500 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $75,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Cody White, Michigan State, $2,500 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $30,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

LB Omari Cobb, Marshall, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $40,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Javaris Davis Auburn, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $10,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

S Rodney Clemons, SMU, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $8,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

LB Bryan Wright, Cincinnati, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $10,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

DE Tershawn Wharton, Missouri S & T, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

G Jovahn Fair, Temple, $1,666 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Jalen Julius, Mississippi, $1,000 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $5,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

CB Hakeem Bailey, West Virginia, $1,000 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Justice Shelton-Mosley, Vanderbilt, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Andre Baccellia, Washington, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $12,500 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Maurice Ffrench, Pittsburgh, $833 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $2,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

WR Aleva Hifo, BYU, $333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, no guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

The last year of the prorated bonus might have a dollar or two added to make the total an even amount. Example Hifo was actually $333, $333, and $334 to make an even $1000 of bonus.

QB Shea Patterson, Michigan, received no bonus and no guaranteed money.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:53 PM 05-31-2020
CB Lavert Hill, Michigan, $3,333 prorated bonus for each of 3 years, $100,000 guaranteed salary. 3 year contract.

If Hill was 2-3” taller he would have been a 1st round pick.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 11:10 AM 05-17-2020
Durant is a future staple at tackle after our guys move on.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:23 PM 05-17-2020
I try to temper my expectations bc odds are only 1 or so of these guys will be a starter on average.

I was sky high on Jamal Custis last year. Loved everything about him, but he was a dud.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:57 AM 05-18-2020
So you gotta figure the Chiefs carry 9 offensive lineman, right? I wonder how much room there is for the new guys.

You can pretty much write a few of these guys in pen.

Fisher
Schwartz
LDT (otherwise they don't restructure)
Niang
Remmers
Rankin

Can't imagine any way those 6 aren't on the roster. Reiter almost certainly will be as well as he started all year, he's cheap and he's good in pass pro. Even if someone else takes the C job from him somehow, he just slots in too well as the backup C so let's just say those 7 spots are spoken for.

So you have two spots w/ Allegretti and Wylie having an edge for them. But ultimately you have these guys fighting for 2 spots:

Allegretti
Wylie
Senat
Hunter
Barton
Durant
Williams
Fair

So if Williams makes the team, it's at the expense of Allegretti or Wylie. If Niang makes a good guard conversion and Rankin comes back healthy enough to rely on, then Wylie's known quantity value drops a bit as well. At that point you could see Durant making the squad as a long-term swing tackle but even then, I think he'd have to leapfrog Senat (who the team seemed to like last year). Williams would end up your backup IOL at that point w/ Durant as the spare swing tackle behind Remmers.

It seems possible that Rankin could start the season on the IR but what limited information we've gotten there has suggested he's on the right track recovery-wise.

Kinda difficult sledding for the UDFA linemen, but I'd sure like to see them force themselves into the dialogue.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:27 AM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So you gotta figure the Chiefs carry 9 offensive lineman, right? I wonder how much room there is for the new guys.

You can pretty much write a few of these guys in pen.

Fisher
Schwartz
LDT (otherwise they don't restructure)
Niang
Remmers
Rankin

Can't imagine any way those 6 aren't on the roster. Reiter almost certainly will be as well as he started all year, he's cheap and he's good in pass pro. Even if someone else takes the C job from him somehow, he just slots in too well as the backup C so let's just say those 7 spots are spoken for.

So you have two spots w/ Allegretti and Wylie having an edge for them. But ultimately you have these guys fighting for 2 spots:

Allegretti
Wylie
Senat
Hunter
Barton
Durant
Williams
Fair

So if Williams makes the team, it's at the expense of Allegretti or Wylie. If Niang makes a good guard conversion and Rankin comes back healthy enough to rely on, then Wylie's known quantity value drops a bit as well. At that point you could see Durant making the squad as a long-term swing tackle but even then, I think he'd have to leapfrog Senat (who the team seemed to like last year). Williams would end up your backup IOL at that point w/ Durant as the spare swing tackle behind Remmers.

It seems possible that Rankin could start the season on the IR but what limited information we've gotten there has suggested he's on the right track recovery-wise.

Kinda difficult sledding for the UDFA linemen, but I'd sure like to see them force themselves into the dialogue.
Wylie would have 20 starts to his resume with L/R interior flexibility, not to mention his experience at T from college. If a team needed OL depth, he is an ideal player for them, so he could have had some trade value (a 6th or 7th rounder maybe). Or maybe Veach does one of those crap-for-crap player swaps and we get a lottery ticket player at a position of more need.

The problem is the quarantine offseason doesn't give us time to evaluate the new players we brought in, nor does it give other teams an opportunity to spot a hole in their depth.

Oh well. I trust this staff, obviously, but I hope we don't go with a low-grade known like Wylie if there's actually something to work with and mold in Williams or Durant.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:30 AM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Wylie would have 20 starts to his resume with L/R interior flexibility, not to mention his experience at T from college. If a team needed OL depth, he is an ideal player for them, so he could have had some trade value (a 6th or 7th rounder maybe). Or maybe Veach does one of those crap-for-crap player swaps and we get a lottery ticket player at a position of more need.

The problem is the quarantine offseason doesn't give us time to evaluate the new players we brought in, nor does it give other teams an opportunity to spot a hole in their depth.

Oh well. I trust this staff, obviously, but I hope we don't go with a low-grade known like Wylie if there's actually something to work with and mold in Williams or Durant.
Yeah, there just appears to be a lot of overlap between Williams/Allegretti and Durant/Wylie.

But let's be honest - every team in the league passed on Williams and Durant multiple times. There's a reason for that. Meanwhile Wylie, for as much as he struggled last year, was a solid player in '18 and forced his way up an NFL depth chart. Allegretti showed enough in college to get drafted.

There's a good chance that novelty is doing more work than it should be here. But in the end I think the worst case scenario is that 9th guy in the room is someone that's started games for an eventual SB champion. That's not a bad place to find yourself.
[Reply]
O.city 11:38 AM 05-18-2020
You're also gonna have a weird offseason so I'm guessing they'll go more with guys they "know" whereas guys that might be better won't have that ability.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:56 AM 05-18-2020
It's also possible that they run with 10 OL given the roster expansion. It would be a nice spot for a developmental prospect given the spotty contributions of the IOL and the fact that most of those guys are going to be FAs next season (I think LDT's deal voids, Reiter, Wylie and Remmers deals all expire, IIRC).

So you up the number of OL to 10 and come up with a phantom injury for another guy to tuck away on the IR and you manage to squirrel away a couple developmental guys. And you could probably get at least one of them on the PS as well.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:35 PM 05-18-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It's also possible that they run with 10 OL given the roster expansion. It would be a nice spot for a developmental prospect given the spotty contributions of the IOL and the fact that most of those guys are going to be FAs next season (I think LDT's deal voids, Reiter, Wylie and Remmers deals all expire, IIRC).

So you up the number of OL to 10 and come up with a phantom injury for another guy to tuck away on the IR and you manage to squirrel away a couple developmental guys. And you could probably get at least one of them on the PS as well.
I always wondered how the IR works. Does the NFL request doctors reports if they’re suspicious of the injury? Or do they just not give a fuck until another team reports someone else?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up