ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Media Center>Where is the cheapest and best place to get Microsoft Office?
Chief Roundup 03:02 PM 01-13-2021
I am needing Microsoft Office that has Word, Excel, Power Point, etc. all included. I found on Microsoft.com that it is $149. Surely there has to be a cheaper deal that that.
Also I have seen there is a Microsoft Office 365. It is only like $35.00 and comes with more than just the main 3 programs.
I am not sure which to purchase and why a person would purchase one over the other. Trying to make the best purchase.
[Reply]
scho63 01:32 PM 01-18-2021
$9.95 a month for Office 365
[Reply]
Molitoth 01:59 PM 01-21-2021
After MS Office moved to a subscription service, I finally made the switch to OpenOffice.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:16 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
$9.95 a month for Office 365
Highway robbery.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:34 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Highway robbery.
Eh, that's a family license ($69/year for just one), and it comes with 1 TB of OneDrive storage. You'll pay more than that just for Dropbox for the same amount of storage.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 03:39 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Google docs
This. Google "office", aka "Workspace" is free. Open Chrome browser, click on Google Apps icon on top right, choose Docs, or Sheets, or Slides, etc. Anymore it is as ubiquitous as M$ Office in the workplace, and moreso in startups & education fields.
[Reply]
scho63 01:14 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
This. Google "office", aka "Workspace" is free. Open Chrome browser, click on Google Apps icon on top right, choose Docs, or Sheets, or Slides, etc. Anymore it is as ubiquitous as M$ Office in the workplace, and moreso in startups & education fields.
While this is serviceable for the lightest users, it is a fail for any heavy duty and frequent user.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell your using Google's office suite for complex Excel tasks or creating a PPT for a presentation.

Open Office isn't much better. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:19 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by scho63:
While this is serviceable for the lightest users, it is a fail for any heavy duty and frequent user.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell your using Google's office suite for complex Excel tasks or creating a PPT for a presentation.

Open Office isn't much better. :-)
Google for enterprise is getting much closer. I know a lot of Fortune 100 companies that are switching. The savings can be in the millions of dollars.
[Reply]
scho63 02:19 PM 01-22-2021
Google for enterprise is getting much closer. I know a lot of Fortune 100 companies that are switching. The savings can be in the millions of dollars.
I've never used Enterprise version so I won't comment but I'm guessing it's more like Office than Sun's OpenOffice or Googles free stuff. :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 02:21 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Agreed, Google shared docs are excellent for collaborating remotely on excel and ppt. They aren't a replacement for M$ though. I always have to convert final copy of Google shared docs to M$ docs.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:22 PM 01-22-2021
Interesting. Any guess on what the security is like on G enterprise? How does it make sense to run Windows but not Office in terms of cost, security, and administration?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:33 PM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Interesting. Any guess on what the security is like on G enterprise? How does it make sense to run Windows but not Office in terms of cost, security, and administration?
I can't go into too much detail but for most companies, it's good enough.

For government contracts, there's all kinds of compliance issues so special negotiations are required with Google to make sure instances stay on-shore, aren't accessible by foreign nationals, and comply with certain government security requirements like FISMA, GARM, and ITAR.

Like I said, I know a lot of Fortune 100 companies are switching, including mine.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:36 PM 01-22-2021
By the way, if I had to guess, Windows in the enterprise will soon be headed the same way. I see a lot of companies going to alternate solutions. You could see enterprise Chromebooks in the next few years.

The cost differential is just huge. A Chromebook you could literally throw away and replace if it broke. Windows PC's are 10x more costly to support, secure, and admin.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:43 PM 01-22-2021
I can't go into too much detail but for most companies, it's good enough.

For government contracts, there's all kinds of compliance issues so special negotiations are required with Google to make sure instances stay on-shore, aren't accessible by foreign nationals, and comply with certain government security requirements like FISMA, GARM, and ITAR.

Like I said, I know a lot of Fortune 100 companies are switching, including mine.
Thanks, good information. It will be interesting to see if G can give M$ the first real competition they’ve had in the office suite space at the enterprise level.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:45 PM 01-22-2021
Thanks, good information. It will be interesting to see if G can give M$ the first real competition they’ve had in the office suite space at the enterprise level.
It's all about the costs, honestly.

You know how it is with publicly-traded companies.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:47 PM 01-22-2021
By the way, if I had to guess, Windows in the enterprise will soon be headed the same way. I see a lot of companies going to alternate solutions. You could see enterprise Chromebooks in the next few years.

The cost differential is just huge. A Chromebook you could literally throw away and replace if it broke. Windows PC's are 10x more costly to support, secure, and admin.
This is a perfect example of how competition in the free marketplace drives innovation and improvements. I imagine the corporate IT trend toward lightly managed devices to replace the more expensive PC is a response to the cost factors you cite here.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up