ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump says he wanted to take out Syria's Assad but Mattis opposed it
Eleazar 09:31 AM 09-16-2020
Trump says he wanted to take out Syria's Assad but Mattis opposed it

By Brett Samuels - 09/15/20 09:11 AM EDT

President Trump on Tuesday confirmed a plan was in the works to take out Syrian President Bashar Assad in 2017 and that he was supportive of it, but that former Defense Secretary James Mattis was opposed.

The president's disclosure that an assassination operation was discussed came as part of a lengthy diatribe against Mattis, but it confirmed a piece of reporting from 2018 that Trump disputed at the time.

“I would've rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it. Mattis was a highly overrated general," Trump said on "Fox & Friends."

The president added that he did not regret the decision not to target Assad, saying he "could've lived either way." The Syrian leader has overseen the deaths of scores of civilians amid a years-long civil war that has ravaged the country.

Journalist Bob Woodward reported in his 2018 book, "Fear," that Trump urged Mattis that the U.S. should “f------ kill” Assad following an April 2017 chemical attack on civilians in Syria.

Mattis reportedly went along with the president’s demands during the phone call, but immediately told aides after hanging up that they would take a “much more measured” approach.

Trump was asked about the reporting at the time and said the assassination of Assad was "never even discussed."

"No, that was never even contemplated, nor would it be contemplated and it should not have been written about in the book," Trump said in September 2018.

Trump on Tuesday criticized Mattis at length. Mattis resigned at the end of 2018 after Trump abruptly announced he was pulling all U.S. troops out of Syria, a decision he later reversed.

"To me, he was a terrible general. He was a bad leader, and he wasn't doing the job with ISIS," Trump said. "He was not doing the job in Syria or Iraq with respect to ISIS."

Fox News host Brian Kilmeade interjected to praise Mattis as a great American who served his country.

"I don't say he is a good American or a bad American," Trump replied. "I just say he didn't do a good job."

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...tis-opposed-it
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:56 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
This is exactly right. Anything to dull the shine of what's happening with the peace accords unfolding right now.

As for this story, I really don't doubt it. Wasn't Syria allowing Iran to build a "facility" within their borders in 2017, one that Trump had destroyed during a live fire coalition training exercise (the name of the joint country operation is escaping me at the moment)? That on top of the stories of Assad gassing his own people probably had Trump and his advisors war gaming the possibility of removing Assad. Hell, as far as that goes, I'm sure the Pentagon has war gamed the possibility of us going to war with any of our closest allies if they were ever to go rogue, as well. That's kind of what they do.
Your explanation is at odds with Trump's own words, both past and present.
[Reply]
ChiTown 10:59 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
There are plenty of people here who will tell you he is honest and doesn't lie to them.
Well, no. He lies when he thinks he needs to at his sole discretion, and he's brutally honest (moronic) at the absolute wrong times (see the Bob Woodward interview as an example).

I've become numb to it over time. Unfortunately, for me, when Biden chose Harris to be his running mate, it became an absolute no-brainer for me as to who needs to win this election now. I'm a short timer. I need the markets to churn and burn over the next 5-years. I want to be able to comfortably retire at 58, and I don't believe that President Harris and VP Kiddie Diddler will be able to get me there. Therefore, I'll hold my nose and pull the lever for Trump. It's very singular for me.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:04 AM 09-16-2020
Your explanation is at odds with Trump's own words, both past and present.
I mean, I don't expect Trump to come out and 'fess up to him asking about taking out Assad, or even actually have had planned to do it, anymore than he say the same about Britain or France or name your country. But are going to be shocked to learned it happened?
[Reply]
Donger 11:10 AM 09-16-2020
I mean, I don't expect Trump to come out and 'fess up to him asking about taking out Assad, or even actually have had planned to do it, anymore than he say the same about Britain or France or name your country. But are going to be shocked to learned it happened?
Did you read the OP?

“I would've rather taken him out. I had him all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it. Mattis was a highly overrated general," Trump said on "Fox & Friends."
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:10 AM 09-16-2020
He volunteered that information to Fox and Friends.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:15 AM 09-16-2020
I admit I breezed over it, lol.

I'm still solidly at "so?". Look at it like this - since the incident in 2017 with Syria, Assad has been real quiet. Way more quiet than the years before that, anyway, and that's a good thing, yes?
[Reply]
Shaid 11:17 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Pathetic non-response but not unexpected from you. You seem to value dishonesty in a president.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 11:20 AM 09-16-2020
Capt. Bonespurs with his extensive military experience determines that Marine Corps General Mattis is "over-rated."

And the formerly American lemmings lap it up.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 11:22 AM 09-16-2020
So this is the official shoes dropping thread?
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:23 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
Dude, he lies all the time. Why should I care about this lie more than the others?
There are many other lies you should probably care about more. But you don't care about those either.
[Reply]
Donger 11:24 AM 09-16-2020
I admit I breezed over it, lol.

I'm still solidly at "so?". Look at it like this - since the incident in 2017 with Syria, Assad has been real quiet. Way more quiet than the years before that, anyway, and that's a good thing, yes?
We have POTUS openly admitting that he wanted to assassinate a foreign leader, and your response is: "So?"

That bar just keeps getting driven into the ground deeper.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:26 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
There are many other lies you should probably care about more. But you don't care about those either.
Thanks. I appreciate you letting me know what I do and don't care about.
[Reply]
Pennywise 11:26 AM 09-16-2020
It's interesting that we have here an unqualified confession by Trump himself that he was lying when he denied ever having discussed taking out Assad, but no one seems to care.
Well it looks like you two scissor queens care.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:30 AM 09-16-2020
So, did he make the right decision or not?
[Reply]
Pennywise 11:30 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
We have POTUS openly admitting that he wanted to assassinate a foreign leader, and your response is: "So?"

That bar just keeps getting driven into the ground deeper.
Canned response for every layer peeled back on Obamagate.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up