ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Carolina Panthers radio guy fired for supporting Trump
Pogue 02:00 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by :
The NFLís Carolina Panthers pushed out one of its Spanish-language broadcasters because of his personal support for President Donald Trump, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Luis Moreno Jr., 42, had served with his uncle Jaime Moreno as the play-by-play radio announcer since 2010.

The pair were known internationally for their energetic calls of exciting plays by Panthers players.
Originally Posted by :
Moreno Jr. emigrated from Mexico at 14 years old, and he became an American citizen in August.
Originally Posted by :
He said he did not dig into politics before the spring lockdowns, but he had newfound time because of the stay-at-home orders.

After researching American politics online, he ďfound out that there are a lot of things that are happening that I wasnít aware of that make me support [Trump],Ē he told the Observer.

Moreno tweeted a post in support of Trump from his private Twitter page in April.

This prompted Eric Fiddleman, who manages radio and television for the Panthers, to contact him and request that he remove references to the Panthers from his account.
https://headlineusa.com/nfl-teams-sp...porting-trump/
[Reply]
Hydrae 02:48 PM 09-15-2020
So he wasn't fired but he quit? It is amazing to me to see some of the thread titles around here somedays. And people bitch about how things are slanted in the media. :-)
[Reply]
Eleazar 02:50 PM 09-15-2020
Since we are at 15 posts and no one has yet pointed it out: Thread title is false.

He was not fired. He was not even employed at the time. They asked him if he would comply with their company's social media policy and he said no, so he was not offered a new contract.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 02:53 PM 09-15-2020
Thread title is false.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 02:54 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
Since we are at 15 posts and no one has yet pointed it out: Thread title is false.

He was not fired. He was not even employed at the time. They asked him if he would comply with their company's social media policy and he said no, so he was not offered a new contract.
Trumpers are sticklers for accuracy. Fake news and all that.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:51 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Thread title is false.
No shit.

The guy wasn't "fired" by anyone: He was an independent contractor.
[Reply]
Cosmos 03:51 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Thread title is false.
No shit...but thatís what you get around here.
[Reply]
Pogue 03:53 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:

The thread title isnít false. It was standard operating procedure for independent contractors to not be under contract during the off-season. The panthers always renewed his contract for years until they found out he was a trumper. Didnít like that so they werenít bringing him back.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:01 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Pogue:
The thread title isn’t false. It was standard operating procedure for independent contractors to not be under contract during the off-season. The panthers always renewed his contract for years until they found out he was a trumper. Didn’t like that so they weren’t bringing him back.
:-)

It's clearly obvious that you've never worked as an independent contractor before because the next job or project is NEVER guaranteed.
[Reply]
Pogue 04:15 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

It's clearly obvious that you've never worked as an independent contractor before because the next job or project is NEVER guaranteed.
Obviously he wasnít making a lot, probably not his main source of income anyway, from calling games in Spanish, so I donít think he was worried about the next job.

Itís just funny to hear nfl officials talk about people allowing to express themselves nowadays.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:20 PM 09-15-2020
Obviously he wasnít making a lot, probably not his main source of income anyway, from calling games in Spanish, so I donít think he was worried about the next job.
What? How are you familiar with his salary or work history?

The average NFL radio announcer earns about $45k per year, with obviously some earning less and some earning far more, which is a decent chunk of change for an afternoon's work.

The new owner fired the entire coaching staff this offseason as well so clearly, the organization was making changes across the board that had absolutely nothing to do with Donald Trump.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 04:34 PM 09-15-2020
The thread title isnít false. It was standard operating procedure for independent contractors to not be under contract during the off-season. The panthers always renewed his contract for years until they found out he was a trumper. Didnít like that so they werenít bringing him back.
ďBasically what I told Eric, I said, ĎListen ... Iím not even under contract right now. I am not willing to participate in this project anymore if Iím going to be censored. So unless they call me, Iím not going to do it anymore. Because I am not OK with them censoring my freedom of speech in support of the president.íĒ

Looks like he said, "call me to discuss this, or I won't be back."

They didn't call.

He didn't go back.

That doesn't look like a firing to me.
[Reply]
RubberSponge 04:51 PM 09-15-2020

What kind of wacko views do you have to have, to have this story enter your news feed.
[Reply]
MahiMike 04:55 PM 09-15-2020
How are the lawyers not just swarming all these illegal firings?
[Reply]
Pogue 04:59 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
What? How are you familiar with his salary or work history?

The average NFL radio announcer earns about $45k per year, with obviously some earning less and some earning far more, which is a decent chunk of change for an afternoon's work.

The new owner fired the entire coaching staff this offseason as well so clearly, the organization was making changes across the board that had absolutely nothing to do with Donald Trump.
Do you think NFL announcers on MNF make the same amount as the guys calling the game on ESPN deportes? As for the guy in the story, heís probably making significantly less than that 45k average that you say, given itís a Spanish broadcast. The guy is also bartender trying to make ends meet, for crying out loud.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 05:08 PM 09-15-2020
Do you think NFL announcers on MNF make the same amount as the guys calling the game on ESPN deportes? As for the guy in the story, heís probably making significantly less than that 45k average that you say, given itís a Spanish broadcast. The guy is also bartender trying to make ends meet, for crying out loud.
Well, I suppose walking away from that gig was probably a bad idea then.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up