ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Anyone build anything lately
mac459 02:21 PM 09-05-2020
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:06 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Which motherboard are you using?

I have a MOTU ES828 Thunderbolt 3/USB 2.0 audio interface and in my conversations with MOTU, there are some specifics that need to happen in order for Thunderbolt to work properly with a PC, including a certain Win 10 driver.
Oh sorry, wasn't clear. I have an iMac. MacOS has supported TB natively since 1.0
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:08 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Well, it looks like AMD is out because Thunderbolt does not do well with AMD and audio interfaces. So I guess I'm back to Intel. I already have six SSD's and two external drives so I guess this is probably it.

Intel Core i9-10900K processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard
GAMEMAX Power Supply 850W
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 64GB memory
Hmm, didn't know about TB and AMD.

That looks like a pretty decently powerful setup though.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:26 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Hmm, didn't know about TB and AMD.
Yeah, me neither, although I've never built an AMD system before because they've always been one notch below Intel for DAW's.

Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That looks like a pretty decently powerful setup though.
I hope so because my i4790k build from 2015 is starting to give me fits and Thunderbolt to the MOTU 828es should make a huge difference in terms of CPU usage and buffer settings.

For the past year or so, I've been constantly changing the buffer size throughout the day because the CPU is close to overloading, which is no fun.
[Reply]
Pants 11:03 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Funny you say that. I just signed up to be notified by Nvidia when the 3080 is released on 9/17. Going to do a Christmas build for one of my boys.
Wanna adopt me right quick, vail?
[Reply]
mac459 07:01 AM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, me neither, although I've never built an AMD system before because they've always been one notch below Intel for DAW's.



I hope so because my i4790k build from 2015 is starting to give me fits and Thunderbolt to the MOTU 828es should make a huge difference in terms of CPU usage and buffer settings.

For the past year or so, I've been constantly changing the buffer size throughout the day because the CPU is close to overloading, which is no fun.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.win...ryzen-pc%3Famp



Found this on AMD and TB, donít know if this will help you out. Thought it had some good information in it.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 09:37 AM 09-06-2020
I'm just going to throw the 3090 into my system to replace my 1080ti and not even think about gpus for like 4-5 years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:49 AM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, me neither, although I've never built an AMD system before because they've always been one notch below Intel for DAW's.
It dawned on me this morning that I remember reading about the future of TB support in MacOS because of the impending switch from Intel to ARM. Can't believe I didn't remember this before but hey, I'm getting older.

Thunderbolt was actually developed by Intel, with cooperation from Apple. I never really gave it another thought because I've been using Apple (and thus Intel) for so long.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:39 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
No idea what any of this shit means, but apparently Im going to have buy a gaming PC before this winter for my golf simulator. Im told my $900 laptop with an i9 processor doesn't have a good enough video card to run The Golf Club 2019 at 60fps+ in 1080p.

Can someone point to something $599 or less that will do it and be upgradeable in a couple yrs if I choose to get a 4k projector
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:57 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It dawned on me this morning that I remember reading about the future of TB support in MacOS because of the impending switch from Intel to ARM. Can't believe I didn't remember this before but hey, I'm getting older.

Thunderbolt was actually developed by Intel, with cooperation from Apple. I never really gave it another thought because I've been using Apple (and thus Intel) for so long.
Steinberg has always recommended Intel over AMD, so every box I've built since '97 has been Intel based.

Earlier this summer, Fish mentioned how AMD's latest generation processors had surpassed the latest from Intel and after a little bit of research, read that the Ryzen series would definitely make for a powerful DAW. So, I started an Amazon cart with an AMD build at the time and had planned to move forward with it until I had time to further research the compatibility with Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, it's just not good.

I'll just build another Intel box and hope that it lasts me 4-5 years before needing to replace it. But the main reason for doing so is because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt option on the MOTU, which will allow more dedicated horsepower to the DAW and my millions of plugins and less usage on the CPU than USB.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:04 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Wanna adopt me right quick, vail?
Sure, Iíd enjoy the conversations. My 21 year oldís best friend lives with us and my two high school boys have so many friends in and out it would probably take me a week or two to figure out you were here.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:09 PM 09-06-2020
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I'm just going to throw the 3090 into my system to replace my 1080ti and not even think about gpus for like 4-5 years.
Youíre likely going to need a new psu and maybe a mobo as well. And if your cpu isnít at least i7 9700k youíll need to upgrade. Also, anything less than a 4K monitor and you wonít realize the full benefits of that beast of a card.
[Reply]
eDave 09-07-2020, 07:38 AM
This message has been deleted by eDave. Reason: Off topic I guess.
htismaqe 10:08 AM 09-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Steinberg has always recommended Intel over AMD, so every box I've built since '97 has been Intel based.

Earlier this summer, Fish mentioned how AMD's latest generation processors had surpassed the latest from Intel and after a little bit of research, read that the Ryzen series would definitely make for a powerful DAW. So, I started an Amazon cart with an AMD build at the time and had planned to move forward with it until I had time to further research the compatibility with Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, it's just not good.

I'll just build another Intel box and hope that it lasts me 4-5 years before needing to replace it. But the main reason for doing so is because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt option on the MOTU, which will allow more dedicated horsepower to the DAW and my millions of plugins and less usage on the CPU than USB.
You're on the right track. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:10 AM 09-07-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No idea what any of this shit means, but apparently Im going to have buy a gaming PC before this winter for my golf simulator. Im told my $900 laptop with an i9 processor doesn't have a good enough video card to run The Golf Club 2019 at 60fps+ in 1080p.

Can someone point to something $599 or less that will do it and be upgradeable in a couple yrs if I choose to get a 4k projector
All that CPU horsepower won't do much good if it has an integrated graphics chipset. Does your laptop have a discrete GPU? If so, what is it?

There's lots of ways to build a cheaper, more powerful PC. Do you still want a laptop? That will be more difficult on a budget but if you're investing in a projector, you might want something more portable than a big ATX case.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:45 PM 09-07-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
All that CPU horsepower won't do much good if it has an integrated graphics chipset. Does your laptop have a discrete GPU? If so, what is it?

There's lots of ways to build a cheaper, more powerful PC. Do you still want a laptop? That will be more difficult on a budget but if you're investing in a projector, you might want something more portable than a big ATX case.
Ideally I would want a laptop so I can have multipurpose but I know going with desktop is cheaper. Going to use a Benq TH671ST 1080p projector but I may decide to move to 4k down the road if they start making golf simulator impact screens that can even display it.
[Reply]
mac459 02:37 PM 09-08-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Ideally I would want a laptop so I can have multipurpose but I know going with desktop is cheaper. Going to use a Benq TH671ST 1080p projector but I may decide to move to 4k down the road if they start making golf simulator impact screens that can even display it.


Is your budget stuck at $600? Are you going to keep the other laptop, or will you sell it? If you keep the old one, I would suggest building a desktop to play games on
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up