ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Anyone build anything lately
mac459 02:21 PM 09-05-2020
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:27 PM 09-05-2020
Thanks to Fish, I've got my eyes set on a Ryzen 3900x build for my studio.

I'm still trying to suss out the Thunderbolt/USB 3.1(c) thing because my audio interface supports Thunderbolt but I've not had much luck so far in my limited research in terms of motherboard choices.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:57 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.
Funny you say that. I just signed up to be notified by Nvidia when the 3080 is released on 9/17. Going to do a Christmas build for one of my boys.
[Reply]
mac459 05:03 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks to Fish, I've got my eyes set on a Ryzen 3900x build for my studio.

I'm still trying to suss out the Thunderbolt/USB 3.1(c) thing because my audio interface supports Thunderbolt but I've not had much luck so far in my limited research in terms of motherboard choices.

That should be really good for all that you do, it should be able to handle about anything you throw at it. Itís crazy to watch how quick these new CPUs process everything compared to what was around a few years ago.


Be sure to take some pictures of that build when you get it done, would love to see it.
[Reply]
mac459 05:06 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Funny you say that. I just signed up to be notified by Nvidia when the 3080 is released on 9/17. Going to do a Christmas build for one of my boys.
Iím waiting on the 3070, $500 and supposedly going to be better than the 2080Ti. Sign me up for that all day.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:06 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
That should be really good for all that you do, it should be able to handle about anything you throw at it. Itís crazy to watch how quick these new CPUs process everything compared to what was around a few years ago.


Be sure to take some pictures of that build when you get it done, would love to see it.
I just got a system with a Ryzen 5 4500U and it's pretty freaking fast.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:08 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks to Fish, I've got my eyes set on a Ryzen 3900x build for my studio.

I'm still trying to suss out the Thunderbolt/USB 3.1(c) thing because my audio interface supports Thunderbolt but I've not had much luck so far in my limited research in terms of motherboard choices.
Dude, you're a studio musician. Just go ahead and drop 15K on an iMac Pro. :-)

Seriously though, I have Thunderbolt 3 and it's very, very responsive for everything from audio to storage. I run a 2nd display off of TB.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:31 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Iím waiting on the 3070, $500 and supposedly going to be better than the 2080Ti. Sign me up for that all day.
I hope the hype is true. Did you see the power requirements are higher for the 30xx?

Coming out in late night October. Theyíll notify you if you want to give your email addy.


https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ns/rtx-bundle/
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:39 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Dude, you're a studio musician. Just go ahead and drop 15K on an iMac Pro. :-)

Seriously though, I have Thunderbolt 3 and it's very, very responsive for everything from audio to storage. I run a 2nd display off of TB.
Which motherboard are you using?

I have a MOTU ES828 Thunderbolt 3/USB 2.0 audio interface and in my conversations with MOTU, there are some specifics that need to happen in order for Thunderbolt to work properly with a PC, including a certain Win 10 driver.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 06:07 PM 09-05-2020
I just recently finished a build of a 67 Precision Bass....built her from parts that took me about a year and a half to locate. She is going to be a Christmas present to my Grandson..
[Reply]
mac459 06:14 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I hope the hype is true. Did you see the power requirements are higher for the 30xx?

Coming out in late night October. Theyíll notify you if you want to give your email addy.


https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ns/rtx-bundle/


I hope itís true too, it would be a great bang for the buck. I seen the 3080 runs two 8 pin connectors and was recommended 750 power supply.


Now signed up, thanks for the link
[Reply]
mac459 06:15 PM 09-05-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
I just recently finished a build of a 67 Precision Bass....built her from parts that took me about a year and a half to locate. She is going to be a Christmas present to my Grandson..


Thatís pretty awesome. I have never thought about people putting together instruments, but now that you brought it up. Makes perfect sense and is probably a really rewarding feeling getting something like that built.
[Reply]
hometeam 06:28 PM 09-05-2020
Going to redo my main build a bit with a 3080 or 3090 and a new PSU~ built some ryzen 3600x systems for friends, but no reason to build right now if you have current gen ryzen or back to 6 seriies intel
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:07 PM 09-05-2020
Well, it looks like AMD is out because Thunderbolt does not do well with AMD and audio interfaces. So I guess I'm back to Intel. I already have six SSD's and two external drives so I guess this is probably it.

Intel Core i9-10900K processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard
GAMEMAX Power Supply 850W
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 64GB memory
[Reply]
kcxiv 07:16 PM 09-05-2020
built an all AMD PC in the beginning of the year! 3800x 4600xt. Thing runs well plays all the games in 1080p really well! I mostly play competitive shooters, so it works fine for what i do.

edit- err 5600xt. lol
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up