ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: In this scenario what would you do as a parent?
Get the abortion? 7 20.00%
Try to carry the baby to term? 21 60.00%
If yes on 1, Get it at week 12 before confirmation 4 11.43%
If yes on 1, Get it at week 16 amnio only confirmation 4 11.43%
If yes on 1, Get it week 17 to 22 with 100% confirmation 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Real Talk: Abortion For or Against
Nirvana58 09:38 AM 07-08-2020
You just went to the doctor and found out you and your wife are 12 weeks along with a baby boy. However, they ran an NIPT blood test and say that you are 84% likely that the baby you are having has Edwards Syndrome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwards_syndrome

If you don't know what that is I linked the wiki page. Summary is this is basically the worst disease imaginable that I can think of. The average life span of children born with this is 3 to 14 days. Most babies are born still born if they even make it that far. It is even worst for male children who it seems to effect even more severely. Basically this is every parents worst nightmare.

The doctors can't 100% confirm until you receive an amnio and ultra sounds. This can be around 17 to 20 weeks along in your pregnancy. Even for a rush screening with amnio only you won't be able to get the results and make a decision on the abortion till 16 weeks if your lucky.

You can get a CVS earlier but doctors pretty much retired that for the NIPT test that you already received.

No matter your stance on abortion what do you do in this scenario? I am asking you to put yourself in the parents shoes and state your answer. This is not some hypothetical. People have to make this choice every year.

I have 2 questions for you. I will try to link the poll but never done one so we will see what happens.

Do you get an abortion or take it to delivery which most likely will be a still born or have an average life span of 3 to 14 days?

If you do decide to get an abortion when do you do it? The longer you wait the less humane it is but can you abort a child without 100% certainty it has this disease?

You can explain your reasoning or any questions in the replies.
[Reply]
idrapethat 11:38 AM 07-08-2020
He's equating it with general human suffering.
[Reply]
stevieray 11:38 AM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
There's a can of worms.
Is keeping someone alive on life-sustaining machines "playing god?"
Removing a failing organ and replacing it with a healthy donor organ?
it's over your head, as usual.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:41 AM 07-08-2020
There are arguments to be made for and against any of the choices, and there's no "right" answer for everyone across the board.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:44 AM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
He's equating it with general human suffering.
He's actually asking an important question.
[Reply]
eDave 11:55 AM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
He's actually asking an important question.
I'm in agreement with you. I didn't factor in the child's burden. Real tough decision. I would most likely decide under the umbrella of my support of assisted suicide. But that's a hard one too as it's not my ultimate decision.

I would live with that better than watching the child endure the burden.

EDIT: Leaving the original but I see that the child is either still born or die within 3 days. I'm carrying it to term.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 11:56 AM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
This is a bad argument. The baby would have zero good moments in its life to offset the suffering, and you know that's how it will be before it's born. There should be a difference between being a compassionate conservative and being cruel.
The argument against abortion is this:

Premise 1: It is wrong to kill another human being unless "you have to".
Premise 2: A fetus is a human being.
Premise 3: Most abortion are done for reasons of convenience and not out of necessity.
Conclusion: Therefore most abortions are morally wrong.

I ask the questions I ask because I am trying to see if it is necessary to kill human beings if killing them is the only way to end their suffering.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:59 AM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
it's over your head, as usual.
Hardly. You just don't like thinking about/being asked about anything deeper than your tissue-thin platitudes.

What human acts are "playing god" and which aren't?
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:00 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
The argument against abortion is this:

Premise 1: It is wrong to kill another human being unless "you have to".
Premise 2: A fetus is a human being.
Premise 3: Most abortion are done for reasons of convenience and not out of necessity.
Conclusion: Therefore most abortions are morally wrong.

I ask the questions I ask because I am trying to see if it is necessary to kill human beings if killing them is the only way to end their suffering.
Premise 2 and 3 could each be debated all day long by themselves.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:03 PM 07-08-2020
This is probably the most difficult issue for me. I go back and forth on it and I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s really not a good answer.
[Reply]
Detoxing 12:05 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
This is probably the most difficult issue for me. I go back and forth on it and Iíve come to the conclusion that thereís really not a good answer.
Abortion arguments will never be settled because there's really no wrong answer. Both sides have valid arguments and concerns and neither are really wrong.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:07 PM 07-08-2020
For what purpose?

Intensive birth control because one chooses to engage in sex without contraceptives?

Preventing a rape victim from being forced to carry her assailants spawn?

Because a fetus has identifiable traits / genetics signaling that he/she will not be an 'average' 'healthy' child?

.. to limit the overall population for one reason or another?
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:08 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Abortion arguments will never be settled because there's really no wrong answer. Both sides have valid arguments and concerns and neither are really wrong.
Agreed, that's why the best answer is "Do what you want".
[Reply]
Detoxing 12:09 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
For what purpose?

Intensive birth control because one chooses to engage in sex without contraceptives?

Preventing a rape victim from being forced to carry her assailants spawn?

Because a fetus has identifiable traits / genetics signaling that he/she will not be an 'average' 'healthy' child?

.. to limit the overall population for one reason or another?
Preventing your S/O from getting stretch marks?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:10 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Preventing your S/O from getting stretch marks?

[Reply]
eDave 12:13 PM 07-08-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
No. He make good case.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up